7679 Republic Fighter Tank Review

46 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate the set (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote your opinion

1. Poor (1 votes [2.13%])

Percentage of vote: 2.13%

2. Below Average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Average (6 votes [12.77%])

Percentage of vote: 12.77%

4. Above Average (17 votes [36.17%])

Percentage of vote: 36.17%

5. Outstanding (23 votes [48.94%])

Percentage of vote: 48.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Christian

Christian

• *Still* The Tallest AFOL on the planet!

Member: 325

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:36 PM

Posted Image
Price: 569 kr
Minifigs: 2
Pieces: 592
Stickers: 9 (My sticker sheet wasn’t curled up)

Overview:
Posted Image

Before I start I will apologize for the bad quality of the pictures. It is getting dark here right now, so some of the pictures are a bit dark.

1) Minifigs:
The set comes with two of the new Clone Wars clone troopers, which in my opinion are pretty cool. It also comes with two short blasters and a bag of clone accessories.
Figs with helmets:
Posted Image

Figs without helmets:
Posted Image

2) The tank:
This thing is HUGE (25cm long and 22cm wide), and far oversized in my opinion, but looks great nonetheless. I very much like the white and dark red color scheme, mixed with a bit of lime green (even though there is no lime green bricks ;) ).
Left side:
Posted Image

Right side:
Posted Image

Back side:
Posted Image

Both of the wings contain a hidden compartment to store the blasters and a part that rotates to reveal three flickfire missiles. The front opens up as well to reveal the engine. The side guns and the gun on the top rotate.
Inside the cockpit is space for two figs; one seated in front of two computer screens and one placed in a moveable seat, which moves up and down, allowing the fig to pop up the top hatch and staying hidden while the hatch is closed. This function is triggered by opening the backdoor.

Hidden compartment and missiles:
Posted Image

Engine:
Posted Image

Top hatch (open/closed):
Posted Image
Posted Image

Interior:
Posted Image

3) Rating:
Build: 9/10 Not much to say here.
Minifigs: 7/10 An extra fig or two would have been great; eventually a Jedi or a commando.
Design: 8/10 This only looses a couple of points for being oversized, but it’s a great looking model.
Parts: 10/10 At 592 parts, this is one of the CW sets with the best parts/price ratio.
Price: 8/10 Sure this thing is great, but I think its overpriced at 569 kr. (approx. $120). When build it feels more like a 450 kr. Set.

Final verdict: 9/10 Despite some flaws this thing is definitely recommended, and it looks great on your shelf, too ;)

Posted Image

Go here and find out what the academy is all about!

My Brickshelf gallery

My Flickr

#2 Joey Lock

Joey Lock

• Captain Blue Hair drives a pink scooter!

Member: 1823

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:43 PM

I know it would really go well with the RGS but it is not enough for £50.
Ill wait for the Sales at Christmas.

Posted Image

God save the gracious King,
Long live the noble King,
God save the King:
Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the King.

Posted Image

#3 Lord Santos

Lord Santos

Member: 3003

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

Nice review :thumbup: , for Portugal it costs 60€. I also consider it oversized, it shold be the third of that size...
Portugal and Spain may have good prices but 90€ for the V-19 must be a tippo.
All rise against Continente's boss Belmiro de Azevedo, richest guy in Portugal, for only having abrick and megablocks in the toy section, YOU MAKE ME SICK!!!It's thanks to him that we don't have star wars, agents, castle, belville and only having 2nd semester sets in they haven't arrived yet as of 24/01/2009!!!Lord Santos in all that above except on TRU

Sig edited by Hinckley: Please read the site guidelines. Pics in sigs may not be taller than 300 pixels. Please reduce this pic. Thank you.My city Skyline- How to combine 1998 town sets with the 2008 sets.

#4 Dovchenko

Dovchenko

Member: 2061

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:47 PM

Finally a review of this, thanks!

120 bucks? This tank looks tiny and though it's amazingly detailed it should have been smaller and only 40/50 bucks at most. It just doesn't play that big a part man. Good pieces and mechanisms but no one's going to both buying a 120 buck tank, no offence, not unless it it's the AT-TE.
"For the sake of Dovchenko I am translating that last paragraph into short and more friendly words so he can understand:"

I am protector of the Hoth Rebel Base and Soviet...

2008 Wishlist:
AT-ST
Hoth Rebel Base (done, ordered 08/02/08)
AT-AT

We want 1x3 tiles!!!
If you'd like 1x3 tiles as well, help me campagne and put it in your sig!

#5 Christian

Christian

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:53 PM

View PostDovchenko, on Aug 1 2008, 07:47 PM, said:

Finally a review of this, thanks!

120 bucks? This tank looks tiny and though it's amazingly detailed it should have been smaller and only 40/50 bucks at most. It just doesn't play that big a part man. Good pieces and mechanisms but no one's going to both buying a 120 buck tank, no offence, not unless it it's the AT-TE.
$120 is the price here in Denmark. It will most likely be the same price as the V-19 Torrent everywhere else, so you dont have to worry about that :wink:

Posted Image

My Brickshelf gallery

My Flickr

#6 CloneMe

CloneMe

Member: 3365

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

Im really mad. This isn't even out in the US. I want this set really bad.

#7 sam89

sam89

• The Calm Voice

Member: 13

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for the review! I think this is my favourite Clone Wars set, behind the Republic Gunship.

#8 Deinonychus

Deinonychus

• Civil Rights Activist

Member: 518

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:06 PM

One question...

Posted Image

Do the top panels on the rotating rocket assembly mounted in the skids pop off regularly when you flip them back and forth? The ones on the version I built from the instructions posted online seem to eject with the slightest provocation  :hmpf_bad:

Posted Image

#9 Skipper 24

Skipper 24

• I live in Engalnd

Member: 1851

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

I'll probably get this in Hong Kong where LEGO is cheap next time I go there to visit my relatives. Also pretty nice review, a few more pics couldn't hurt. :tongue:

Also are there just two of the same white control computers for the controls? That's what it looks like in the instructions.

Edited by Skipper 24, 01 August 2008 - 08:41 PM.

Posted Image <-- Thanks Hound Knight
Flickr Brickshelf

#10 Wilhelm screamer

Wilhelm screamer

Member: 3036

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:18 PM

You lucky turd.  :angry:

:tongue:

Seriously, good job with the review.  :thumbup:
Proud to abuse "AAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGH!!" as my battlecry scince 4/19/08
My Brickshelf

#11 JimBee

JimBee

• Bubbler

Member: 2436

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:45 PM

Thanks for the review, Christian, I was hoping for one soon  :sweet:. This set really looks good, but as you said, rather big. The figs are good, and I agree that Ki-Adi Mundi should be included. I like the hidden compartments for the blasters and missiles,  and the cockpit is really cool, considering it seats two (I thought only one). I will surely pick this up sometime.  :thumbup:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Currently playing Hybros, 53-year-old male imp Chi Monk in the Heroica RPG

Currently playing Jerry Bergeron in Red Menace Mafia
Stats | Bio

#12 Christian

Christian

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:55 PM

View PostDeinonychus, on Aug 1 2008, 08:06 PM, said:

One question...

Posted Image

Do the top panels on the rotating rocket assembly mounted in the skids pop off regularly when you flip them back and forth? The ones on the version I built from the instructions posted online seem to eject with the slightest provocation  :hmpf_bad:
They do fall off from time to time, but not as easily as you describe.

View PostSkipper 24, on Aug 1 2008, 08:13 PM, said:

I'll probably get this in Hong Kong where LEGO is cheap next time I go there to visit my relatives. Also pretty nice review, a few more pics couldn't hurt. :tongue:

Also are there just two of the same white control computers for the controls? That's what it looks like in the instructions.
Yes. Its two identical white slopes decorated with computer screens.

Posted Image

My Brickshelf gallery

My Flickr

#13 dunamis

dunamis

• It's no good captain i canny reach!!!

Member: 226

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:15 PM

Nice review, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.  Looks like a really nice set and I'll be picking it up eventually when it makes it to the US.
So much LEGO, so little time...

#14 CloneMe

CloneMe

Member: 3365

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:16 PM

Do you have any pics of the wheels? I wanna see what those are like.

#15 Algernon

Algernon

• Not a Doofus

Member: 2558

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:49 PM

This is my favorite set in the Clone Wars wave, and I'll be picking it up without a doubt... that is, whenever the folks at LEGO decide that it's okay for us to buy their sets in US.

#16 Trudop561

Trudop561

Member: 2010

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:15 AM

Thank you for the first ever review of the fighter tank. I like this set and every features it offers. But I think that the engine could have a better look than just four green cylinders in a grey piece.

#17 I Scream Clone

I Scream Clone

• Returning Nocturnian Master

Member: 2955

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:41 AM

Great review! I really like the look of this set, and having played a lot of battlefront I am quite keen to pick one up in Australia when it comes out (after the DS is paid off)
Looks like some nice greebling and cool colour scheme too. :thumbup:

Got Questions? Need help? New member?,Read the site guidelines,Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

#18 Snake...SNAKE...SNAAAAKE?!

Snake...SNAKE...SNAAAAKE?!

Member: 3250

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:33 AM

Must buy now!!!!

totally sweet!

Not available in canada yet :hmpf_bad:

Well designed and cheap (for clone wars!)

I'm going to mod it so that it looks like the imperial version :devil:
The solid snake
Join the We Hate Liquid Ocelot fan club!!!!!!

MGS4 gets a perfect 10 out of 10 on IGN! w00t!

#19 Lego12

Lego12

• Kill'n George

Member: 3422

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:22 AM

I am 100% going to get this set! :sweet:  It should be about $55 and if it is, i'll get it without a doubt! :thumbup:  I just hope that this set is $50-$60. :cry_happy:  If it isn't, then we have a problem... :cry_sad:
"One without strength is one without purpose."

"You never know, until you know."

-Lego12

#20 AgentRick57

AgentRick57

Member: 2280

Posted 02 August 2008 - 04:44 AM

This and the AT-TE and the Spider tank and maybe the droid gunship are the few Clone wars sets I'll buy. I loved playing as this tank in the Clone wars video game( even better with cheat codes for EXTRA MISSILE SPAM :tongue: ), so this is a must get.

#21 Cardinal Brick

Cardinal Brick

• Academy Teacher

Member: 2547

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:39 AM

Thanks for posting the review, I’ve been wondering about this set. To me it does feel a bit fig light, for £50 I’d expect maybe one or two more clones. I’m not to sure about the oversized issue, it seems to me it’s better to have something a bit to large and have a better level or features than something smaller will less.
Posted Image    Posted Image

#22 pr0visorak

pr0visorak

• Silvery Provo

Member: 3570

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

This set costs a S$100 in singapore.I went to Hng Kong too see lego and the shops there are more expensive by a few dollars.However,I went to Australia before and everything there is the same price but when there is a sale it becomes very cheap!Anyway, thanks for the review!I was wondering about the details of this set.The clone's faces look a lot like anakin's face.Why is that so?I  thought it is supposed to look like jango's?
2nd Singaporean in Eurobricks and first few to enter the Singapore F1 Night Race on the 1st day!

Today is the Star wars Clone wars Ryloth the trilogy!
Posted Image

#23 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Member: 2351

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:42 PM

Christian, thanks for this outstanding review!  :thumbup:

I have been waiting for this moment for someone to do up an excellent review like this. Republic Fighter Tank is my 2nd favourite set, in my Clone Wars list. The 2 Clone Troopers could be easily add up to your RGS, since it offer only more trooper. However, I felt that this set is quite overpriced. In fact, all Clone War sets are very expensive.

The Fighter Tank, has a very great color combination of red and white to represent the Republic. The wheels below is the most impressive feature, which enable the hovering feel. The hatch is a neat feature as well. However, I noticed there is a rubber band within the control panel. May I know what is it for?

I really enjoy viewing this review. You had given the insight which will eventually determined whether to get it any sooner or later.  :blush:

View Postpr0visorak, on Aug 2 2008, 05:35 PM, said:

This set costs a S$100 in singapore.I went to Hng Kong too see lego and the shops there are more expensive by a few dollars.However,I went to Australia before and everything there is the same price but when there is a sale it becomes very cheap!
Hello pr0visorak. You are from Singapore as well. Welcome to Eurobricks! I hope you will do an introduction to the rest of the members in this forum.  :wink:

In Singapore, it cost SGD$100.00 In fact, that was the promotional price. Therefore, there is no further discount for it.

My BrickLink Store // Sign up for Reviewers Academy // Trains & Town Reviews // Black Knights Kingdom (EBRP) // Watch out EB News!

Click here to find out more about WhiteFang

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

My name is Wilhalm Bloodaxe and I am back to be part of the Ragnarök Now Redux.

Lord Kenneth Valise, Level 1 Knight, 28yrs old human
Power: 4 Health: 10/10 Gold: 10
Inventory: One potion, a Greatsword (WP: 3) and a Shield (SP: 2)

#24 Manta

Manta

Member: 3622

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:49 PM

I personally think this is a great set, but a little pricey. I wish it was available in the US though. :wacko:
So am I still waiting, for this world to stop hating. Can't find a good reason, can't find hope to believe in.
-Sum 41

'Cuz we don't live, We just survive, On the scraps that you throw away
-Rise Against

Now will it matter long after I'm gone? Because you never learned a god****ed thing
-My Chemical Romance

#25 Mocha

Mocha

Member: 2785

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:08 PM

Im definatly gonna get the ATTE. Im thinking about getting the spider droid and fighter tank. I alredy own the older version of the republic gunship (but i still want it)

View PostAgentRick57, on Aug 1 2008, 08:44 PM, said:

I loved playing as this tank in the Clone wars video game( even better with cheat codes for EXTRA MISSILE SPAM :tongue: )
sorry to get off topic... But i own that game! I liked playing as the republic gunship the best!
LEGO is pronounced LEGO. NOT LEGOS!
Proud to be Canadian!
Wishlist
7675 AT-TE                
7676 Republic Attack Gunship

7679 Republic Fighter Tank
7681 Separatist Spider Droid
7748 Corporate Alliance Tank Droid
8014 Clone Walker Battle Pack
8018 AAT
8039 Venator-Class Republic Attack Cruiser

CoDMW2 - 11.10.09