Sign in to follow this  
metalandi

PICTORIAL REVIEW: 6279 Skull Island

How do you rate this set?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. How do rank this set on a scale of 1-5?

• 5 - Excellent
    • 1 - Poor

Allright, as i promised on the weekend, i've got one more review left, and this one is about a really great pirate set.Of course this isn't my last review ever, maybe i will review some older town & castle sets in the next weeks. but that's another story, let's focus on this one now!

Set Nr.: 6279

Name: Skull Island

Number of minifigs: 6

Number of pieces: 366

Release Year: 1995

General Overview:

6279_skull_island-poster.jpg

We got 6 Minifigs, a Parrot (not in the picture) and even an ape in this set!

dsc00072bh0.jpg

The soldiers only:

dsc00073rt4.jpg

And the pirates only:

dsc00074nh6.jpg

The Back/Inside is rather plain because it is in the water, but at least there's a treasure chest on the right and 2 guns on the left:

dsc00061et2.jpg

One floor higher there's a small table with a goblet and a map for the pirate captain:

dsc00062xe2.jpg

You can open the floor where the table is on, and to light comes this little gun holder:

dsc00064ry5.jpg

On the very top the pirates can watch out for ships to plunder and then move barrels or something else with the crane:

dsc00068vk5.jpg

dsc00065lh0.jpg

Back on the ground level, again the 2 hidden guns on the side from the tower:

dsc00067rr3.jpg

And at the front the "skull-door" opened:

dsc00069xw9.jpg

At the left back corner there's a barrel with some more guns and a palm tree. I like the use of the hammer to attach the branch to the tower:

dsc00071pe7.jpg

And finally at the front of the landing stage there is a cannon:

dsc00070qq2.jpg

In my opinion this is one of the best pirate sets ever made beside the ships, it's got great playability, and the skull-like door is designed very well also. You got plenty of minifigs, along with an ape and a parrot, and also lots of guns. Clearly a 10/10 for me, Pirates ON!

I took the liberty of adding a ratings poll to your review, and I also removed (and saved) the box art - if you could review it seperately (in more detail) at some point, then that would be awesome :pir-sweet:

And do you have a better main picture (similar to that on the box) of the set? It would be useful for the Classic-Pirates frontpage :pir-wink:

Anyway, onto the set. It is perfect. It really is the ultimate shanty port - it symbolises what the Lego Pirate theme was. All the exciting details - like the hidden weapon rack - are truly fantastic, as is all that landscaping.

The two boats are great for playability, and the rum/wine in the barrels is a lovely rare touch :pir-wub:

I really would have loved to own this set at the time.

I especially love the interesting drink thing - sort of a decanter...

dsc00062xe2.jpg

Yay, finally a review of a set I actually own! :pir-tongue:

This was most likely the biggest set I owned back in my childhood (I've bought bigger ones in the last few months, though), and I remember playing with this to no end - of course adding my Paradisa-girls and other pirates to the crew as well. I may have been a tom-boy, but I would've never played with only boy minifigs. :pir-devil:

I just love all the details and the Caribbean feel to it. It comes with many useful pieces as well, and I totally rate this set 5/5 - for old time's sake!

Nice to take a look at some 'older' sets. I always love reviews like these, keep up the great work.

Are you serious? :pir-hmpf_bad:

One cannon is exactly right for a set of this size, and why would it be "too small"? What about impulse sets and so on then? And last, what would look "piratish" to you, if not a tower with a big gate that looks like a skull?

Thank you for creating this Pictorial Review for us Metalandi! We'll be sure to frontpage it on Classic-Pirates.com and feature it in the July newsletter.

I never had the opportunity to own this one and take a good look at all the details, thanks! I like the upper floor with the table and the balcony thing... The guns hidden under the table are an original solution. I like the rotating skull door. Good thing it came with two boats in different colours.

Skull island, a set I used to own as a child and boy did I love it !

It was next to lagoon lock-up the biggest pirate set I had.

So my review :

parts: 8/10

playability : 10/10

figs : 10/10

design then/now : 8/10 9/10

So that gives the set a nice 9/10 !

Yes finnally a name to set I've been searching for (for those that read my intro thread) OMG I can remeber going to Toys'r'us with my dad and getting this as a small boy Fantastic.

Great review and thanks once again I'm off to ebay now!

This set was cool, but I do prefer the Forbidden Island and Rock Island Refuge (Port Jamaica) to this one.

nice review! im not a big pirate fan, but thats a neat little set. i may pick it up if i can find it cheap.

"Do you know how i got these scars?"

jifel

I would like to ask you to adjust you posting style by starting to use capital letters and punctuation where needed. We're not a chat board :pir-wink:

nice review! im not a big pirate fan, but thats a neat little set. i may pick it up if i can find it cheap.

Should be:

Nice review! I'm not a big pirate fan, but that's a neat little set. I may pick it up if I can find it cheap.

Thanks!

As a kid, this was probably one of my favourite sets (I remember really wanting the shako wearing imperial guard), even though I've never had it :pir-sceptic: .

It has a nice amount of figures, a very usefull baseplate and a good amount of playability. But I don't really like the red/black/light gray combo (I do like the structure).

dsc00070qq2.jpg

The brown lower part on this cannon is lovely. Much better for Pirates than the red this year.

Thanks for the review!

I bought this set when it was new only to have it destroyed by an over curious cat knoking it of the shelf it was on. Then a few months back I found all my old lego in some boxes as well as the manual and managed to put this set back together, I had forgotten how good this set is and I am glad to see I'm not the only one. :pir_laugh2:

One of the best sets.

I love the minifigs(2 redcoats and Captain Roger/Redbeard), the structure of the island, the tunnel with the skull, the hidden gun and blade under captain's table...

That set is great. But Rock island refude is even better because it has a prison and a more realistic structure.

Excellent is not enough to describe this amazing set.

Please refrain from bumping old topics to simply say you like it.