Jump to content


Smaller UCS Sets?


17 replies to this topic

#1 Faramir

Faramir

    Posts: 487
    Joined: 24-November 07
    Member: 2215
    Country: United States

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:43 PM

I've been thinking about all of the UCS Star Wars sets, how all of them look really great to me but I never have the money to buy them after everything else.

That got me thinking about the ideas of smaller UCS sets-- not to change the scale, as thats what it's all about, but if TLC made some sets of smaller vehicles that would cost, say, about $30-$50. Maybe a speeder bike, or a JSF?

Tell me what you think, just curious.
Posted Image
BrickSet Set list current: 487
My Brickset List
My BrickShelf Gallery

#2 Justin2224

Justin2224

    Posts: 494
    Joined: 23-June 08
    Member: 3377
    Country: US

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:47 PM

The UCS sets are ment to be big and expensive. The Y-wing is the smallest set I can thing of.

"Oh, what the f*** happened to this world? There's only one trlilogy, you f***ing morons.

Randall on Star Wars-Clerks 2

There are actually 2 Trilogies(not LOTR though)


My respose to this: DAYUM STRAIGHT
Note: I am a LOTR fan too, just though this was funny.

#3 Derek

Derek

  • Sith no more


    Posts: 2065
    Joined: 10-October 07
    Member: 2075
    Country: USA

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:12 PM

Well what about that special edition Naboo Fighter? That was UCS and was only like $30... :look:

dp

View PostIgnited_Impulse, on 20 September 2010 - 01:51 AM, said:

Dude, you've got a Final Fantasy sig and you're on a lego forum....arguing about elves. Try not to think you're some cool guy because you don't play D&D
My Flickr Account

#4 Walter Kovacs

Walter Kovacs

  • Tooting his own horn


    Posts: 1809
    Joined: 05-May 08
    Member: 3106
    Country: USA

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:19 PM

The Special Edition Naboo Starfighter was a UCS set, and it sold for $40.  

I know other AFOLs have produced smaller UCS scale models, including the aforementioned Speeder Bike, some include instructions.  Here is one that I know of off the top of my head.

BTW, his Speeder Bike design would cost ~$10 USD at Bricklink, not including Shipping.

EDIT: Darthperson beat me to the punch.  Darn my verifying facts.

Edited by Walter Kovacs, 22 July 2008 - 09:22 PM.

Apes suck!
Missiles deployed!

Currently playing as The Serial Killer in Zepher's Mafia Mafia.

#5 Dovchenko

Dovchenko

    Posts: 518
    Joined: 08-October 07
    Member: 2061
    Country: Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:06 AM

View PostJustin2224, on Jul 22 2008, 04:47 PM, said:

The UCS sets are ment to be big and expensive. The Y-wing is the smallest set I can thing of.

Your smallest UCS set would be the Naboo Fighter at 40$.

Your largest UCS set would be the Millennium Falcon at 500$.

Great thinking as usual, Faramir. We SHOULD have some small, small UCS sets. Things that can accompany the larger ones. Maybe at the largest, an 800 piece Tie Fighter to go with the Tie Advanced and all? At the smallest? I'm thinking a 250 piece Darth Maul Speeder Bike. Maybe a Trade Federation Droid Tank, at 700 pieces or so? Maybe they could combine multiple ships, like the Obi-Wan Jedi Starfighter and Anakin's Jedi Starfighter. Maybe a Delta or ETA with about 600 pieces. A UCS Landspeeder would be awesome.

Besides, I can't afford a 100$ ship everytime I want a quality set!  :sceptic:
"For the sake of Dovchenko I am translating that last paragraph into short and more friendly words so he can understand:"

I am protector of the Hoth Rebel Base and Soviet...

2008 Wishlist:
AT-ST
Hoth Rebel Base (done, ordered 08/02/08)
AT-AT

We want 1x3 tiles!!!
If you'd like 1x3 tiles as well, help me campagne and put it in your sig!

#6 Faramir

Faramir

    Posts: 487
    Joined: 24-November 07
    Member: 2215
    Country: United States

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:39 PM

Forgot I made this for a while, (sorry!) So I'll get to some responses now.

View Postdarthperson, on Jul 22 2008, 05:12 PM, said:

Well what about that special edition Naboo Fighter? That was UCS and was only like $30... :look:

dp
True, but if you look at it, the only really "UCS" thing about it was the stand and card. Not any extra amount of detail, and about the same size, if not smaller, than the 2007 version.

View PostWalter Kovacs, on Jul 22 2008, 05:19 PM, said:

I know other AFOLs have produced smaller UCS scale models, including the aforementioned Speeder Bike, some include instructions.  Here is one that I know of off the top of my head.

BTW, his Speeder Bike design would cost ~$10 USD at Bricklink, not including Shipping.
Maybe $10 could be a bit too small. No offense to the builder of course, but TLG could probably put together a larger, $30 bike with greebles, detail, and about 300 pieces. That sounds fair to me.


View PostDovchenko, on Jul 24 2008, 09:06 PM, said:

Your smallest UCS set would be the Naboo Fighter at 40$.

Your largest UCS set would be the Millennium Falcon at 500$.

Great thinking as usual, Faramir. We SHOULD have some small, small UCS sets. Things that can accompany the larger ones. Maybe at the largest, an 800 piece Tie Fighter to go with the Tie Advanced and all? At the smallest? I'm thinking a 250 piece Darth Maul Speeder Bike. Maybe a Trade Federation Droid Tank, at 700 pieces or so? Maybe they could combine multiple ships, like the Obi-Wan Jedi Starfighter and Anakin's Jedi Starfighter. Maybe a Delta or ETA with about 600 pieces. A UCS Landspeeder would be awesome.

Besides, I can't afford a 100$ ship everytime I want a quality set!  :sceptic:
Lots of other good ideas there that I hadn't even considered! I'd love to see how Lego could make darth Maul's bike :cry_happy:

Edited by Faramir, 03 August 2008 - 11:40 PM.

Posted Image
BrickSet Set list current: 487
My Brickset List
My BrickShelf Gallery

#7 Oky

Oky

  • RA Anniversary Baker and a Quidditcher


    Posts: 8800
    Joined: 02-October 07
    Member: 2028
    Country: USA

Posted 04 August 2008 - 01:10 AM

There is a guy called Gareth over at FBTB who made a whole bunch of excellent UCS models. Most of them are quite small and would make great, affordable sets! :cry_happy: Check them out in Gareth's Model Shop.

#8 Commander Red Hat

Commander Red Hat

  • Leader of the Redcoats!


    Posts: 5443
    Joined: 26-August 07
    Member: 1914
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:03 AM

View PostOky Wan Kenobi, on Aug 4 2008, 01:10 AM, said:

There is a guy called Gareth over at FBTB who made a whole bunch of excellent UCS models. Most of them are quite small and would make great, affordable sets! :cry_happy: Check them out in Gareth's Model Shop.


Definitly some nice ones in there, especially that hotrod speeder, yeah me likes hotrods! :wub:

Thanks for sharing that Oky! :thumbup:
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#9 ptdapen

ptdapen

    Posts: 266
    Joined: 03-August 08
    Member: 3641
    Country: USA

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:13 AM

At first I was going to say that they were meant to be expensive, but judging from this, I think smaller vehicles should be included too.  I would enjoy a cool Imperial Shuttle to store my troops inside.  One thing I do disagree with is making huge TIE Fighters and such.  Maybe bigger, but I don't want one without a pilot.
I am dead rat Pavarti, the wife of Quarrioni.  I was shot in the face, and died.  So it goes.

#10 Faramir

Faramir

    Posts: 487
    Joined: 24-November 07
    Member: 2215
    Country: United States

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:22 AM

Well this topic kinda died about a month ago, but I had another idea so I decided to add it onto here instead of posting a new topic... what about UCS lightsabers?

You know, it could be just the hilt, maybe on a display stand, they can make different ones for different characters,maybe about $20 each. Any thoughts, or are you going to let my thread just die... again?  :classic:
Posted Image
BrickSet Set list current: 487
My Brickset List
My BrickShelf Gallery

#11 Matteo Kenobi

Matteo Kenobi

  • Thanks for proven services


    Posts: 537
    Joined: 08-August 08
    Member: 3689
    Country: United States

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:01 AM

Well I for one would LOVE smaller UCS sets, in fact I almost brought myself to buy the UCS At-st but i came to my senses and realized there were better options for me and if I was gonna spend $50 I would rather get the Hoth Rebel base (which I did and ended up building my beloved echo base diorama out of) so I mean a $50-$70 UCS set would be AMAZING in my opionon, I'd like a UCS Jedi Starfighter (maybe like CW obi wans, that would be a GREAT thing for the CW legos series thus a smart move on TLGs part). I for one love this idea and hope TLG hears us  :sweet:

EDIT: I don't know about the UCS lightsaber, it would just seem...akward.

Edited by Matteo Kenobi, 26 August 2008 - 03:02 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image


#12 darkrebellion

darkrebellion

    Posts: 960
    Joined: 13-January 08
    Member: 2482
    Country: Mexico

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:01 AM

The UCS lightsabers hilts ideas sound cool and if you put to think, who doesnt want a Mace lightsaber with chrome gold parts  :wub: ? Even if this is a good idea I prefer to see some other model like the Darth Maul Speeder mentioned in the last few posts  :thumbup: .

Edited by darkrebellion, 26 August 2008 - 03:03 AM.


#13 KimT

KimT

  • Retired Backdoor Sneaky Sith


    Posts: 14078
    Joined: 11-November 04
    Member: 101
    Country: Denmark

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:26 AM

Making a 20 USD lightsabre isn't really an UCS sets, is it?
Ultimate Collector's Millenium Falcon - the name implies big and awesome.
Not small and pesky.
When TLG introduced the UCS Naboo Fighter a lot of fans got mad. It was too small and had nothing to do with the idea of UCS. Smaller sets are..well, just smaller sets.
UCS needs that shining light and angelic chorus feeling in order to be special. There's nothing ultimate in buying a smaller UCS set for 20 USD. You have to be serious to buy the sets.
So no, I don't see any small UCS sets - EVER.
When in doubt on how to do things - Check the Tutorial Index
Star Wars Forum Pool on flickr

"Onwards Men! Victory IS at hand" - Famous last words
"How can this possibly go wrong?" -Also Famous last words


Posted Image


#14 Zzz

Zzz

  • Flick-fires the hell out of aliens!


    Posts: 969
    Joined: 21-January 07
    Member: 1281
    Country: Germany

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:06 AM

View PostKimT, on Aug 26 2008, 09:26 AM, said:

UCS needs that shining light and angelic chorus feeling in order to be special. There's nothing ultimate in buying a smaller UCS set for 20 USD. You have to be serious to buy the sets.
So no, I don't see any small UCS sets - EVER.

I may add something... I guess the "problem" is also, that the "system" sets raised in quality so much that they ARE actually the wanted smaller UCS sets already. Just look at the newer Y-Wing or N-1. Compared to the 1999 models, these are outstanding and marvelous! And it is obvious that in 1999 we wanted UCS cause the system models were not advanced and nice loking at all.
"I am Iron Man."  -  "I am Groot!"  -  "I am Batman!"

#15 Fallenangel

Fallenangel

    Posts: 2469
    Joined: 10-January 09
    Member: 4964
    Country: 미국

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:00 AM

View PostKimT, on 26 August 2008 - 07:26 AM, said:

Making a 20 USD lightsabre isn't really an UCS sets, is it?
Ultimate Collector's Millenium Falcon - the name implies big and awesome.
Not small and pesky.
When TLG introduced the UCS Naboo Fighter a lot of fans got mad. It was too small and had nothing to do with the idea of UCS. Smaller sets are..well, just smaller sets.
UCS needs that shining light and angelic chorus feeling in order to be special. There's nothing ultimate in buying a smaller UCS set for 20 USD. You have to be serious to buy the sets.
So no, I don't see any small UCS sets - EVER.

Indeed, with the 10129 UCS snowspeeder LEGO actually had an opportunity  to make a really small but nice UCS set (if it had been in 1/24 scale like 7191 and 7181)but instead it looks like they opted for studio scale (which is obviously a lot larger) since there was more of a chance to be "big and awesome" (and, of course, pricey).

I think that at this point UCS pretty much connotes a sort of grandeur rather than any sort of scale - which is why 10179 is pretty much the epitome of LEGO UCS (minute inaccuracies aside) despite the fact that it is scaled to minifigures. That's also probably why when we saw the price tag and piece count for 10215 people were so upset (since 676 pieces at $100 is unheard of unless it's an Architecture set). Also keep in mind that LEGO is always trying to make money so with UCS they are tapping into an AFOL fanbase who would actually be willing to pay these enormous sums - which would require them to keep making big UCS sets.

Another factor - UCS sets are set apart from regular sets by their size; if UCS sets are smaller they can't be as detailed or accurate. In this aspect 10026 suffers greatly, since at that size there were certain proportions and angles (curves?) it was unable to adhere to. What if LEGO had released 7191 in 1/48 scale? (It would be smaller than 4502.) Imagine how much greeble and fancy gears they would have had to exclude to fit it to that scale. At that point, it wouldn't be much different from a System set.

Sure, smaller UCS sets are possible. There was a small model of the Millennium Falcon used for filming (around 30in I think it was) in addition to the 5-ft. studio model, and the starwars.com Databank mentions that there were 13" TIE Interceptor studio models. And the Imperator-II Star Destroyers used in scenes with the Executor were around the same size as the new 8099 midi-scale set. But UCS renditions at such small scales wouldn't allow for neither the awesome detail and grandeur nor the insane price tag we have come to associate UCS sets with.

View PostZzz, on 26 August 2008 - 11:06 AM, said:

I may add something... I guess the "problem" is also, that the "system" sets raised in quality so much that they ARE actually the wanted smaller UCS sets already. Just look at the newer Y-Wing or N-1. Compared to the 1999 models, these are outstanding and marvelous! And it is obvious that in 1999 we wanted UCS cause the system models were not advanced and nice loking at all.

Nah. LEGO does try with their System sets but for the most part the proportions are terrible and there exist numerous flaws as a result of bizarre building techniques (for example, those random huge gaps we've been seeing in every Technic-System Star Wars set ever released).

Edited by fallenangel327, 05 November 2010 - 07:04 AM.


#16 Anio

Anio

  • I buy LEGO, then I just do something awesome with it.


    Posts: 1376
    Joined: 18-February 09
    Member: 5344
    Country: France

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:05 PM

IMO, UCS is nothing more than details/realism. It has definitely nothing to do with scale, part number, size, etc.

So, I think that 10026 is a great set.
And I challenge anyone to build a better looking Naboo N-1 starfighter than the 10026.  :sadnew:

#17 Big Cam

Big Cam

  • A good mood, too.


    Posts: 13999
    Joined: 02-April 09
    Member: 5701
    Country: USA

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:02 PM

Seems opinions go both ways.  I personally love the bigger grander sets, but then again I don't own any due to the price.

Cheaper sets would be more accesable, but was that TLG intent?  I don't think so.  A UCS lightsaber does make sense, but to make it lifesize, it would take a massive amount of bricks, and I fear would actually end up costing hundreds.  Just in the shear number of bricks.  Of course if they don't go lifesize, it would be much more affordable.

I think the UCS sets are fine the way they are, the regular SW line is getting so good they rival the UCS sets at time I think.

#18 StoutFiles

StoutFiles

    Posts: 1040
    Joined: 13-October 10
    Member: 13725
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:23 AM

UCS is Ultimate Collector for a reason.  They need to be more detailed, and with the extra detail means a higher price.  

That said, a large majority of the ships still look great without the UCS label.



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users