indexed.gif

Well, it's not exactly a large shuttle, but still a nice set:

442 Space Shuttle

Year Released: 1979

Piece Count: 79

Minifigs: 1

Vehicles: 0

List Price: unknown

This little classic was my smallest classic space set. Believe it or not, I still have the box:

01box1.jpg

Here's the back:

02box2.jpg

The instructions are pretty tattered and missing a section. I had to download some from the web:

03instruct.jpg

But the ship is again intact, missing only one grey 1x3 plate:

04ship1.jpg

I've always liked this computer piece:

05back.jpg

Here's the under side. This set included the small classic jet engines:

06bott.jpg

A close-up of the sloped printed space brick:

07close.jpg

And the complete set with minifig:

08set.jpg

This set was a great little space ship that made a nice addition to the Blue Space Theme. As small as it was, it could hold two-three figs (one standing up). I don't even think the Mars Mission Recon Drop Ship holds three figs. In any case, it was a must-have for Blue Space Fans, and probably only a few bucks back in the day.

SWOOSH!

It's simply amazing how far Lego has come in 30 years.

:cry_happy: and again those tears in my eyes. with original box...! I really love those classic space stuff. Looks like I need to clean my stuff this summer.

This classic space shuttle is simply superb! I love the layout of this shuttle. In fact, it reminded me as one of the space fighter jet, that roam around in space, defending the boundaries from intruders.

I just love these old grey bricks very much and the printed computer brick is just lovely. It's such a pity, that I did not grow up with Classic Space in my childhood. These are actually great stuff, and formed the base of the Space theme in LEGO. :classic:

Brickster, thanks again for another outstanding classic review. :wink:

this was my first space set ever!! 1979, 1980... don't know anymore, but i do remember i got this together with 897 for my birthday when we where camping... with a little luck i may even have an old film from my dad, opening the boxes... :wub:

well what to say... it looked soooooo aggressive with those two engines! but i never knew why you needed two steering wheels on it... they probably just thought a symmetrical model was better .... i can't blame them... what a nice set.... it would even sell today, no doubt... looooots of swooshability...

The computer is my favorite part. Sadly, I dont own any classic space...Exept for some space police, and a blue classic space man.

Nice!!!

442 is the lowest set number I have seen for any Classic Space set, so it must been released with the first wave in 1978. Its remarkable that a LEGO spaceship this old and small can seat more figs than the much bigger MX-71 Recon Dropship of today. Anyway, I just want to grab it out of the screen and swoosh it all over the place, lol.

TLG, please make these Classic Space sets again! I promise I'll buy many! :sweet: