Video through the LEGO Vault

17 replies to this topic

#1 gylman

gylman

• Excellent......

Member: 252

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:01 PM

http://gizmodo.com/5...y?autoplay=true

Also many of the comments below the article are worth reading.

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Spoiler

Edited by Fugazi, 18 March 2013 - 11:26 PM.
added original article

#2 PSPguy

PSPguy

• Didd Captin Crunch

Member: 1102

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:29 PM

So many memories...  :cry_happy:

#3 Flatfoot Thompsen

Flatfoot Thompsen

Member: 2927

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:31 PM

:oh3:  So... much... LEGO! I wish that was my closet. :cry_sad:
Yee-haw

#4 Dr. Brick

Dr. Brick

Member: 2432

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:52 PM

:cry_happy:
That is so beautiful!
Dr. Brick
Digital MOC's:

Train StationPosted ImageFootbridgePosted ImageSuspension BridgePosted Image

Have a look at my town!

#5 Deinonychus

Deinonychus

• Civil Rights Activist

Member: 518

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:11 PM

Great video Posted Image

The Johnny Cash song playing in the background was almost insidious for it's combined emotional impact. It's amazing how seeing clean, fresh, boxed sets as recent as those first Star Wars sets can still release a wave of nostalgia. I'd be afraid to touch anything in there. Well, afraid, and I'd refrain just out of pure respect and reverence  :sweet:

Posted Image

#6 Capt. Bluebeard

Capt. Bluebeard

Member: 3314

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:33 PM

Probably the most epic video of all time!
These guys should do a deal with TLC and make an official LEGO museum...or maybe they shouldn't because I'd probably steal it all! :pir-grin:

Bluebeard, out-

Edited by Capt. Bluebeard, 24 June 2008 - 04:38 PM.

"Hissssss, don't expect to win...Not against the frightful power of Basil the Batlord!" - Basil the Batlord, LEGO Racers

#7 Holodoc

Holodoc

• Has finally seen the box

Member: 1094

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:01 PM

Hehe, sorry for all you guys who could not make it to our event this year. :tongue:

:wub: WE HAVE BEEN THERE! :wub:

And we have seen all those lovely sets with our own eyes!
Some EB´ers agreed that there has to be an even bigger vault somewhere else :look:, because there is only little space left in this room.

This was the most interesting section:
Posted Image
:devil:
Even more interested in LEGO bricks & parts? Read Tim Johnson's (aka Caperberry) blog: Posted Image

#8 Plural

Plural

Member: 1179

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:28 PM

Cool video, the contents of thats vault must be worth well into the £100,000s.
Posted Image

Spoiler

#9 Fluyt

Fluyt

Member: 2980

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:37 PM

View PostPlural, on Jun 24 2008, 09:28 PM, said:

Cool video, the contents of thats vault must be worth well into the £100,000s.

Probably a fair amount more, judging by the very expensive misb sets like 375, 12v trains and the monorails to name a few and there are also multiples of at least some sets there.
They must have multiple vaults, with multiple sets, since it would be a disaster if there was just one and it got wrecked somehow.

#10 BerndDasBrot

BerndDasBrot

• Hey! It's yellow!

Member: 1849

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:09 PM

:cry_happy: oh how I wish i didn't unlearn crying. There's no way to express my current mood...  :cry_happy:

a truly beautiful place to be!

i dunno... erm- just watching.

Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#11 JimBee

JimBee

• Bubbler

Member: 2436

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:18 PM

:cry_happy:  that article was so touching... faded polaroids of memories are exactly how it is for me... ah memories... :cry_happy:

Posted Image
Currently playing Hybros, 53-year-old male imp Chi Monk in the Heroica RPG
Stats | Bio

#12 snefroe

snefroe

• waisted plastic

Member: 230

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:18 AM

hm.... this vault is basically just a VIP vault, imo. it's not Lego's archive. I've been there a few times now and sure, it looks as if this vault has quite a lot of sets, but several are missing as well and it's not entirely sorted per year. The story goes that all sets lego produces for the global market end up in this room.

The vault is "owned" by Lego's legal department, in case Lego needs to be able to show/build specific sets in the context of a law suit against piracy,...  So it's not Lego's archive where they keep all documents and sets ever created, but it's most defenetely worth a visit. Still, only a few people get in...

#13 Kahgarak

Kahgarak

Member: 514

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:52 AM

''I'm getting emotional''

I hear ya buddy!
Look at all that Space. Too bad I didn't exist yet when they were still out in stores :cry_sad: .

#14 Tom_castlefan

Tom_castlefan

Member: 3309

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:21 PM

An amazing insight... I wish I had all of those sets  :cry_sad:
Ah, nostalgia...

Tom

#15 Dwarvenlord

Dwarvenlord

Member: 3228

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:37 PM

*Sight*... so beatiful  :cry_happy:  :cry_happy:
Posted Image

#16 Technix

Technix

Member: 123878

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:19 AM

http://sploid.gizmod...dium=socialflow

:cry_happy: :cry_happy: :cry_happy: :cry_happy: :cry_happy: :cry_happy: :cry_happy: :cry_happy: :cry_happy:

OMG.. dont know what to say..!

#17 TeufelHund

TeufelHund

Member: 15073

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:01 AM

As someone who has worked in museums for years developing storage facilities the way they house their collection is a bit of a worry - everything seems to be stacked on top of each other meaning boxes will crush and deform with time, things are stored behind other things meaning locating items will be problematic and there will be a lot of double-handling needed to retrieve material and the fact they handle everything without gloves means that oil and grime will tranfer easily from people's hands to the collection. The use of compactus-style shelving is good as it saves space but it looks to me if they're serious about protecting this collection they probably need to expand the storage space and spread the collection out a bit more. I'm not sure what there Air-conditioning is set at but longevity could also be improved by controlling the temperature and humidity levels as well.

Despite this - it was very nice to see the original Yellow Castle "in the flesh". If only my parents had given me that when I asked I might never have come out of my Dark Ages...

#18 LEGO Historian

LEGO Historian

• Older than ABS

Member: 1550

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:36 PM

The LEGO Vault does NOT have one of every LEGO set ever produced.   Part of the problem was that TLG didn't always save a copy of each early LEGO set.  So there are probably at least 50 sets that are not in the LEGO collections.  When putting together my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide as a DVD/download, the folks at TLG were very gracious in giving me copies of images of many sets that I didn't have an image for.  However, there are many sets that they still don't have, but have been attempting to buy them on the secondary market.  Many of the sets were produced by licensees in Norway, USA/Canada and Britain/Australia, so part of the problem is that the existence of these sets is not known to the folks at TLG.  I've shown them images of many sets that were unfamiliar to them.... and gave them a copy of the image to add to their Archives.  Here's a pic taken a few years ago of the vault... and yes.... they needed to do a better job of stacking sets....  :wink:    Posted Image
LEGO "Smarty Pants Extraordinaire" for 54 years!   Can be Emailed at:  istok.gary@gmail.com

Facebook:  
https://www.facebook...ets.Parts.Guide

http://legocollectorsguide.weebly.com/

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users