Sign in to follow this  
Siegfried

314 Police Boat Review

Year Released: 1976

Piece Count: 53

Minifigs: 2

DSC02669es.jpg

LEGO brought out floating boats quite early, and in many ways the first were the best. (I'll explain why later...) This set in particular is interesting as it came out in two versions; one that includes the first minifigs and another that included the non-armless type. (Set 709.)

DSC02683es.jpg

The police signs are stickers, and are in surprisingly good condition considering the age of the set. (I am missing one sticker on the front though.)

DSC02684es.jpg

Note the Technic Bush and Axel; they are the old type.

DSC02685es.jpg

The position of the second figure is not a mistake; I think he's supposed to be sitting down....

DSC02681es.jpg

The first boats out by LEGO needed a weighted keel to prevent them.... keeling over. (I have tested this!) I suspect this is because of the density of the old hulls and the flat bottom... but I could be wrong. (It can't be just because of the flat bottom as the new cargo ship doesn't need one.)

DSC02672es.jpg

The keel in detail. The bottom extension is for a motor. (Not included, nor made by LEGO at the time.)

DSC02673es.jpg

The keel had longer studs. Even now it holds extra firmly.

DSC02674es.jpg

This is why I prefer the old design. You can extend or shorten the hulls as you please, or even insert other LEGO in the middle.

DSC02677es.jpg

You can easily add wheels or any other piece to the bottom of these hulls. I wish they would go back to this idea; the 4+ hulls were of this concept but were too wide. (Probably so the keel wasn't needed.)

DSC02679es.jpg

The old minifigs aside from having odd feet and no arms had a normal stud as the neck. Thus when you turn the head it tends to come off.

I love this set!

Great review Sinner. I own the later version, 709 released in 1977. Mine no longer has decals though. The variations were minimal.

It looks like your boat is in really good shape considering it's >30 years old. Excellent review!

It looks like your boat is in really good shape considering it's >30 years old. Excellent review!

I know; I got it for a song on eBay. Most 1970s sets don't seem to be in much demand...

How about "These Policemen are unarmed?"

You give a guy a holiday, he comes back a comedian. :hmpf: (It's too obvious for my taste.)

You give a guy a holiday, he comes back a comedian. :hmpf: (It's too obvious for my taste.)

Words hurt you know. :cry_sad:

Nice review Sinner! :thumbup:

The old sets... I don´t know - every old set, especially equipped with the old non-moveable arms minifigs look very odd nowadays.

I agree with you with the hull shape and its possibility to be extended, but every other aspect, the lack of detail, the keel itself (you can´t float it in shallow water) keeps me from rating it higher than 3/10. :sceptic:

In my opninion the best police boat so far is 4021 tn_4021-1_jpg.jpg *click to enlarge*

I love those minifigs, they'd go for alot on ebay I bet. Great boat as well, I love the old hull design.

This set showed what potential variations on the standard brick had back then. I think that TLG was still finding its legs back then and learning new things so this is a solid set for the year it was released.

Nice review Sinner.

Thank you for the nice review, Sinner. :classic:

Nice review Sinner! :thumbup:

The old sets... I don´t know - every old set, especially equipped with the old non-moveable arms minifigs look very odd nowadays.

I agree with you with the hull shape and its possibility to be extended, but every other aspect, the lack of detail, the keel itself (you can´t float it in shallow water) keeps me from rating it higher than 3/10. :sceptic:

In my opninion the best police boat so far is 4021 tn_4021-1_jpg.jpg *click to enlarge*

Well, if you're meaning REALLY old sets, than I agree with you, but a lot of the sets from the very late 1970s and onwards are still very nice. This set just isn't a good example, that's all. :wink:

OH, and I also agree with you about that police boat. However, the newer one in the CITY line is also great, IMO. The only thing that weighs against it is the giant size, which makes it feel awkward in more classic towns.

7899-1.jpg

Edited by Grevious

LOL! I can't help but smile everytime I see the quote on this thread..... don't worry these police are armless!

LOL

:wub::wub:

well what to say? i got this boat late 70s, when we were on our way to Italy to spend the holidays there. My parents always needed to keep my quiet during the 3-day trip, and the best way to do that was to buy me a lego set... I got this one in a gas station in Germany. As far as I remember Italy didn't have lego sets, so a gas station close to the Italian border but still in Germany or Austria was very often their last chance. I often saw large quantities of lego sets in those gas stations though... i remember seeing yellow castle and... the galaxy explorer, standing on a shelf. It would be my birthday 1-3 week(s) later so i always made sure they knew what to buy for me... :grin:

My parents always needed to keep my quiet during the 3-day trip, and the best way to do that was to buy me a lego set...

This still works nowadays. :grin:

I often saw large quantities of lego sets in those gas stations though... i remember seeing yellow castle and... the galaxy explorer, standing on a shelf.

These were the times... Although I don´t recall Lego sets in fuel stations in the past I would appreciate to see Lego "on the go" now. It´s holiday time and I have two sons, you know. :wink:

So, you've been bitten by the classic bug too, Sinner.

Great review; but one would think arms would come in handy (pun intended) when you are a police officer, right? It's a shame that many of the original figs must now be forced to stand looking like they have their hands in their pockets, eh?

I have no idea where I was going with that last sentence...