Review of 8152 Racers Speed Chasing

9 replies to this topic

#1 Lasse D

Lasse D

• Pink Poodle

Member: 1144

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

Posted Image

I picked up this set mainly because of the many (5+spare) glow in the dark parts and the promise of 2 racers and one helicopter for the price of a little more than two racers (90kr. vs. 2x40kr.)

The box
Posted Image

The back of the box shows the two alternate models you can build if the polybags rip.
Posted Image

There are 3 cheese slopes and two 1x2 tiles that glow in the dark, where the tiles are exclusive for this set.

The total parts count is high at 142, but there are no really big pieces among them.

Inside the box you will find the building instructions, a sheet with some odd sticky labels (thrown away) and 3 polybags marked by the bag building difficulty.
Posted Image

The models
The lime colored car doesn't bring out anything new. We have seen racers built like that before, but it does contain some nice bricks for the collection.

The police cruiser surprises with an interesting design along the sides as seen here. It is harder to build because of the greater level of details:
Posted Image

The helicopter is without doubt the hardest vehicle to build in a bag. I can't finish it because it's larger than the bag. You can't put on the top blades nor the tail of the thing, so it beats the forklift from 7733 where the top bar is the new kind that doesn't completely fit.
Posted Image
There is also instructions for the alternate models, but it requires the bags to be opened...
Posted Image

The vehicles are pretty standard for the racers theme with the police car being the highlight of the set
Posted Image
Posted Image

Conclusion
I like the difficulty curve between bag 1 and 2, but the last bag should be labeled 1000000 instead of 3. It requires some inhuman skills to build that helicopter in the bag...  :yoda: ?

Lime colored car: 3 - We have seen it before, but it has some nice pieces... and lime.
Police Cruiser: 9 - It has a massive diffusers, rare parts and a high level of details. It is a shame LEGO relies so much on stickers.
Helicopter: 6 - if you see it as a set for one fourth of the price of the cars, it is quite amazing, but you can't bag build it and I would personally prefer some more detail instead of the big size.

Overall it is a nice little set, but the police car is the main attraction. I wouldn't get the other vehicles if they were sold separately.

Brickshelf gallery

Edited by WhiteFang, 23 May 2009 - 07:03 PM.
Indexed

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Pencoin

Pencoin

Member: 2415

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:34 PM

y'know you can open the bag  :wink:
Posted Image
Look into those beautiful eyes, the eyes of a hero. Mata-Nui.

Stop and Smell the Vorox
You need help to defeat the bone hunters in My LEGO Network? Then please consult my guide! For Bara Magna!
Befriend me here: http://mln.lego.com/...ew/pencoin.aspx You'll get clicks!

Daven Mission Force
.....Coming soon.....
Sneak peak: Here
Click This! Listen to it all the way through.

#3 Skipper 24

Skipper 24

• I live in Engalnd

Member: 1851

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:55 PM

why didn't you open the bags?????
Posted Image <-- Thanks Hound Knight
Flickr Brickshelf

#4 adik_sa_lego

adik_sa_lego

Member: 2205

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:40 PM

it's called challenging one's self :-P

plus you can resell it as MISB since it's still sealed in the polybags lol

#5 mko

mko

Member: 3248

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:41 PM

:sceptic: there's something called opening the bag do you do this with everything lego set

:sceptic: there's something called opening the bag do you do this with everything lego set
To buy list for 2008
! means i have it
-Agents mission 2-!
-Agents mission 3-!
-Agents mission 4-
-Agents mission 8 volcano base-
-Republic attack gunship-
-Tower raid-

My favorite game is: james the circus zebra (:

#6 adik_sa_lego

adik_sa_lego

Member: 2205

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:02 AM

now now, don't judge people who do this. there have been bigger sets that were done in the bag. to each his own :)

#7 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Member: 1554

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:13 AM

Ahhh bag building... that takes me back.  :tongue: I suspect that if I didn't do my bag building topic my EB life would have turned out very differently. For the negative nancies, I suggest you try it. I bought a set just so I could, and I found it fun. (Not fun enough to do it again though!)

Thanks for the interesting review.  :tongue:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!

#8 Lasse D

Lasse D

• Pink Poodle

Member: 1144

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:44 PM

View Postadik_sa_lego, on Jun 17 2008, 10:02 AM, said:

now now, don't judge people who do this. there have been bigger sets that were done in the bag. to each his own :)
You make it sound like I did something deeply socially deviating... like being an adult playing with LEGO  :tongue:

But back on topic. Open the bags? If they were meant to be opened, why did LEGO close them in the first place? :wacko:

Bag building is not for everybody. Some might become very frustrated with it and let their anger out on the set by lining it up on a mini golf course.

#9 zero1312

zero1312

• Devilish Crap!!!!!

Member: 1455

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:21 PM

Nice review. But I think bag building is a boring way to build. :sceptic:
If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it!!
If my fate is to be destroyed................ I must simply laugh!!!

MOCpages:
http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/99432

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Stony

Stony

Member: 3426

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:35 PM

I bought a Tiny Turbos set(A No-No for me) after I saw this "Bag Building." It's actually pretty fun. I built it faster than I would if I had opened the bags!
Lord of Rabbits

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users