Review- 7738 Coast Guard Helicopter

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 marvinblue

marvinblue

Member: 1717

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:17 AM

I won't get this set, but, the winch is a fantastic innovation. Looks like Bricklink will be trading a few of these! Also the raft is a pretty cool model just by itself.
"Where's the Ka-Boom?! There's supposed to be an Earth shattering Ka-Boom!"
"If I were you, I wouldn't dig into the past. I lived in some of that past, and I got out for a reason." - Homer J Simpson
"My blessing always available, but no guarantee!" - Dalai Lama

My Brickshelf Gallery

My BrickSet Collection

My "Would-like-to-have-list"!!

Aussie Lego Forum      Come check out where the Aussies hang out!!

#27 5150 Lego

5150 Lego

• Has a ball of string and isn't afraid to use it

Member: 586

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:32 AM

View PostRalph_S, on May 31 2008, 12:04 AM, said:

I'm rather fond of helicopters and have built many different types. This doesn't really remind me of any particular model, other than perhaps an EH. 101 Merlin and even that resemblance is very superficial. Just for the record: this is a Sikorsky Sea King and this is a Sikorsky MH-53 (a derivation of the CH-53). The only resemblance I see with the former is the colour scheme and with the latter the fact that it's got a fat rear-end, sponsons  and six blades.

Cheers,
Ralph

Those helocopter mocs are fantasic!I was attually thinking of modding the copter to resemble one of those copters you posted. Your mocs are a true work of art!

View PostChuck, on May 31 2008, 12:41 AM, said:

I noticed that you said the torsos are the same as the last line; the last line had orange torsos, this one has yellow torsos.

-Chuck

Yes, i'm aware that the colors are different. I meationed that i prefered the yellow with blue arms,and that the badge has more detail as well.
Calm down... HAVE SOME DIP!

If at first you don't succeed,........ Then skydiving is not for you!

Check it out! www.emergencybricks.com

#28 Gouns

Gouns

Member: 2981

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:25 PM

Nice review, I love it ;)

The photos are beautiful and big for more details ! :)

#29 Lanker

Lanker

Member: 3148

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:17 PM

View Post5150 Lego, on May 27 2008, 08:16 AM, said:

in my opinion this is one of the best helicopters TLC has come out with to date.

I completly agree!   :sweet:  It looks great! Sadly enough it will probably take a while until I can find it in my local little toy-store up here in Sweden...

I am experimenting a bit with militarizing LEGO and this set could fit pretty well in my project.

#30 Snake...SNAKE...SNAAAAKE?!

Snake...SNAKE...SNAAAAKE?!

Member: 3250

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:08 AM

I normally dislike Lego city but this is much better :thumbup:
The solid snake
Join the We Hate Liquid Ocelot fan club!!!!!!

MGS4 gets a perfect 10 out of 10 on IGN! w00t!

#31 Marko

Marko

Member: 5068

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:44 PM

I know it is quite late but anyway I felt like sharing you.  Today my wife bought it for our son after dentist though I always planned not to buy "the one piece" helicopter.  The one piece tail is not so bad at all.  It can accommodate a lot of stuff in it if you use your helicopter for something else than saving mechanics.  For example if you use it for transporting troops and equipment - like the real world model CH53 is doing.

#32 5150 Lego

5150 Lego

• Has a ball of string and isn't afraid to use it

Member: 586

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:19 AM

View PostMarko, on Feb 4 2009, 10:44 PM, said:

I know it is quite late but anyway I felt like sharing you.  Today my wife bought it for our son after dentist though I always planned not to buy "the one piece" helicopter.  The one piece tail is not so bad at all.  It can accommodate a lot of stuff in it if you use your helicopter for something else than saving mechanics.  For example if you use it for transporting troops and equipment - like the real world model CH53 is doing.

Cool! Glad you were able to find that there are more uses to the airplane tails than it looks. I moddified mine to allow the stretcher to slide into the back tail section when not in use. This then frees up the cargo compartment for divers. I also modified my cargo plane to do the same thing with a pallet of cargo. Now it can transport 2 pallets instead of just one.
Calm down... HAVE SOME DIP!

If at first you don't succeed,........ Then skydiving is not for you!

Check it out! www.emergencybricks.com

#33 SeaKing61

SeaKing61

Member: 4604

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:40 AM

I'm sure glad you dug this review up, it's one of my favourite lego helicopters. It's a much more realistic size compared to most lego helis which really makes all the difference in my opinion. One minor geeky detail that I love is that the set number is 7738. Rotate it 180 degrees and BELL, one of the world's leading helicopter manufacturers! :laugh:  The only problem is that Bell has never made a helicopter anything like 7738, it much more resembles a Sikorsky or even a Russian Mil helicopter

Laurie
My MOCs
------Fabuland Taxi -------- Flooded Street ----------- Class 08-------
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#34 Zorbas

Zorbas

• Tough on stains!

Member: 4609

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:09 PM

I've just finished building it and all i can say is that this is a fantastic set!
The life raft is just phenomenal!  :thumbup: It is very realistic and believe me, the real thing is 10 scales greater than it seems in the pictures!

Only one tiny flaw that i 've found is that the whole rotor structure does not "sit" too well on the main body, having the tendency of being a little unstable sometimes. That is of course a minor detail and takes away no points regarding the general impression. The Power Function works great as you said and it is indeed the best helicopter TLC has given us.

One more thing 5150 Lego. Is the parts list at the end of the insructions correct? Because it says that 2 pieces of the blue cheese slope Posted Image are included and eventually  there were 10 in it, all being used during the building process. (not counting the extra parts of course).

Anyway, i highly recommend this set to any City fan!
"Bricks and stones, timber and tiles - are of no use when dumped at random..."
Xenophon - "Memoirs of Socrates"
Brickshelf

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

by Jebediahs

Posted Image

#35 Jeff S

Jeff S

Member: 3913

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:14 AM

We just finished building this set and its a good one. I think besides the simple fact that the wench does not lift much, its flawless.
The only set we are missing from the Coast Guard is the "Tower w/ Ship". We have the rest including the Platform. I guess we are missing the promo Motorcycle or what ever that set was, but thats about it. All the big ones we do have. I have not pulled the trigger and got the Tower yet, just waiting for price to drop a bit. Having the platform and paying way to much for it before it released in the USA, I am shying away from the Tower for now.

Nice review and as many have stated, its a great set!

Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users