Sign in to follow this  
Oli212Lego

How do resize decals?

If you have the UleadPhotoImpact or similar you can use the "resolution" fonction. That's a perfect way to resize any decal without losing quality. :classic:

For example, when you configurate the decal resolution in "print" mode it's usually automatically converted to the right size to print.

I hope this will help you! :wink:

I'm very new with decals so how do i resize decals :wacko::sceptic: !?

Resize them how? Are you trying to print them and they are too big?

The way I do it is to simply use the box tool to crop the decal from MS Paint, copy, and paste into a word document, but this is only for printing. If you'd like to know the exact dimensions, you could probably find out from a more advanced decal...er like Sir Nadroj or LuxorV

Hope this helps

Faramir

Faramir's right. If you are using MS Word to print them, you can actually resize them in that program...just click the picture and then pull one of the handles down from the corner...

Faramir's right. If you are using MS Word to print them, you can actually resize them in that program...just click the picture and then pull one of the handles down from the corner...

But how do you make sure that it is exactly the right size? (1.2 cm x 1.5 cm, right?)

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

But how do you make sure that it is exactly the right size? (1.2 cm x 1.5 cm, right?)

Trial and error... :sceptic:

Sorry for being late in replying here :blush: .

I usually do this (Note: this 'tutorial' is based on experience with my own decals and some decals from other makers on the net. It should work with every decal you can find on the net, but you may encounter special cases to which it doesn't apply): save the image as ... (file name) [you can use the right click option, or the small disk icon that should appear in the upper left corner of the image after a while your pointer is on it], then open a word .doc, add the image to the .doc, and print it. If it is still too big (or small, but that isn't the problem, usually) you can double click on the image in the .doc, to open the Image Properties window. Then you must select the Dimensions label, and set (keeping Proportions locked for both Height and Width, so that you do not deform the image), a Width of 15.5 millimeters (that's a normal MF's torso width).

Hope this helps :wink: .

LuxorV

Thanks, LuxorV! I have a question, though. When I tried to resize your Han Solo decal using the handles like Hinckley said, and printed it, this is what I got:

2488296505_a9f1966fa4_b.jpg

Do you think your method would make it look less pixely, or is it practically the same? If it Wouldn't, what will?

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

I think that's because you resized the picture (I used to have the same problem). Try to change the resolution instead of the size :wink:

But, I'm afraid I don't know how to do it with MS Paint, sorry :grin: Maybe someone else could explain it to you?

I think that's because you resized the picture (I used to have the same problem). Try to change the resolution instead of the size :wink:

But, I'm afraid I don't know how to do it with MS Paint, sorry :grin: Maybe someone else could explain it to you?

Do you know how to do it in photoshop?

How does the resolution have to be?

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Can i use MS paint on a Mac computer? :look:

No, just use iPhoto. It has everything you need.

You can only reduce resolution. You can't add it. If you want higher resolution, the document has to be built again and started with the higher dpi. Once a file is saved at a certain resolution, you can't add pixels to it, that's why you have that pixelated look when you print the han solo torso. Are you saving it straight from the thread or are you saving it as optimized? Is LuxorV saving it with print resolution or is it optimizing for web view? Once I know, I can tell you guys better how to fix it...

This is the file I used:

hansolo.gif

I saved it like that, opened it in Word, amd resized it using the handles like you told me to earlier, Hinckley.

Now, can you tell me what I should do with it?

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

The problem is it's a .gif. You can't resize a .gif. I would ask LuxorV if he can save it as a .jpg for you. It needs to be saved from the source.

I should delate that old .gif version. If you go in the request folder, you'll find this .png (300 dpi) version:

hansolo_001.png

Try this now, and you should be able to resize it all right (at least, I had no problems with this version) :wink:

Always make sure to take the .png version of my decals, if you mean to use any of them. The older .gif or .jpg versions are there only because I'm too lazy to search and change all the old links in previous threads :hmpf: .

LuxorV

Do you know how to do it in photoshop?

How does the resolution have to be?

I don't know Photoshop neither, sorry :sceptic:

Talking about the resolution it really depends on every Decal but I use to arrange it around the 600 pixels

I hope this helps you! :wink:

On MS paint, you can also press ctrl+W or go to image, then stretch/skew. Change the two boxes that say 100%. Make sure you make them the same (ie both 50, both 98, both 2405, etc.) so it doesn't get distorted. Not sure how to get the exact size. On my computer, it works out nicely: at my resolution on my size I can hold up the torso to the screen and make it the same size on the computer. But depending on resolution and screen dimensions, it wouldn't necessarily work.

I use microsoft photo editor to do all my resizing. It was a free program that came with my office 2003 package. MS photo editor gives you a beautiful resize option before printing:

msphotoeditor.jpg

Also, i like to save all my decal files in a .png format. its compatible with ms paint and photoshop and it preserves the colour information! (unlike .jpg files)

I don't know Photoshop neither, sorry :sceptic:

Talking about the resolution it really depends on every Decal but I use to arrange it around the 600 pixels

I hope this helps you! :wink:

That will certainly work, but it doesn't need to be over 300 dpi for a file this size. And, I can't stress this enough: Unless you are creating the file or altering it from the source, you can't effectively change it's resolution. So if you download someone else's jpg and try to change the resolution, it will only add more of the pixels that are already there. It won't actually add resolution, only pixels. So the result will look pixelated.

Vector graphics can be resized from any portion, but this also must take place from the source file.