Sign in to follow this  
Captain Green Hair

La Mort Royale

thindexedgif.gif 46b

Ahoy matey's!

Some of you might have already seen this ship in EB pirates ,but here is a full presentation of her.

Her master, Admiral Bewier, will be leading us around today, enjoy!

The design was loosely based on the French ship le Protecteur:

le-protecteur-detail.jpg

A full view from the side:

aa.jpg

From the front:

bb.jpg

And the stern:

ee.jpg

The figurehead:

cc.jpg

gg.jpg

hh.jpg

ii.jpg

jj.jpg

kk.jpg

kl.jpg

More pictures in the BS folder , .

Feedback and comments appreciated!

That ship is pretty close to the original.

You've chosen a fine ship to model after :thumbup:

I love how the captin gave the tour :pir-laugh:

I hope you don't mind if i steal err borrow your idea. :pir-wink:

Lots of great detail!

i still love your rigging :pir-wub:

Great work Cap'n

That ship is pretty close to the original.

You've chosen a fine ship to model after :thumbup:

I love how the captin gave the tour :pir-laugh:

I hope you don't mind if i steal err borrow your idea. :pir-wink:

Lots of great detail!

i still love your rigging :pir-wub:

Great work Cap'n

Thanks Phred, you're entitled to borrow my ideas!

Ah, OK :) How many pieces us this giant (just curious)

It has 5 midsections, if that is what you mean....

On a total count...i have no idea :pir-blush:

Wow, I think I've already seen it but I must say your ship is quite impressive, captain Greenhair! :pir-cry_happy:

I specially like the front with the figurehead and the great firepower the ship has, with that MOC cannons. And congratulations for the amazing third pic, it really looks like a real ship with that "sunny" light! :pir-wink:

Oh, and by the way, I think there's something wrong about your ship's name. Of course you are completely free to call it as you want but "La Mort Royal" is incorrect in french ("Royal" is an anglicism). The correct name would be "La Mort Royale", what means "The Royal Death", a great name for a french ship! Who was France's greatest enemy in the seas but the British Royal marine?

Wow, I think I've already seen it but I must say your ship is quite impressive, captain Greenhair! :pir-cry_happy:

I specially like the front with the figurehead and the great firepower the ship has, with that MOC cannons. And congratulations for the amazing third pic, it really looks like a real ship with that "sunny" light! :pir-wink:

Oh, and by the way, I think there's something wrong about your ship's name. Of course you are completely free to call it as you want but "La Mort Royal" is incorrect in french ("Royal" is an anglicism). The correct name would be "La Mort Royale", what means "The Royal Death", a great name for a french ship! Who was France's greatest enemy in the seas but the British Royal marine?

Thanks for your nice comment and pointing out that misspelling, perhaps one of our mods can change the title for me?

The French got their megablocks kicked by everybody at sea, but they have the prettyest ships IMO :pir-grin:

In a word: Breathtaking!

Especially the way you have widened the hull without the use of inverse slopes. Very nicely done. The entire bow and figurehead is really well done and although I am not enthusiastic about string rigging it certainly works well on this model. I can hardly wait to see more when the BS folder is opened. I want to see if you have really done a tumblehome or if it is just a really good illusion. :pir-sceptic:

I assume I have missed this on other mocs but the use of the small fence/railings as ladders just struck me as really brilliant. A nice detail I plan to use. :pir-classic:

Thanks for your nice comment and pointing out that misspelling, perhaps one of our mods can change the title for me?

The French got their megablocks kicked by everybody at sea, but they have the prettyest ships IMO :pir-grin:

I'll see if i can contact someone about the situation.

It's pretty serious so i should let a professional handle this problem :pir-tongue:

Fixed :pir-wink:

Seeing a ship like this makes me wanna start building one myself right away.

It's is a masterpiece and no doubt the result of several years of ship-building.

This is a thread I will visit several times. I just can't get enough of this beauty.

In a word: Breathtaking!

Especially the way you have widened the hull without the use of inverse slopes. Very nicely done. The entire bow and figurehead is really well done and although I am not enthusiastic about string rigging it certainly works well on this model. I can hardly wait to see more when the BS folder is opened. I want to see if you have really done a tumblehome or if it is just a really good illusion. :pir-sceptic:

I assume I have missed this on other mocs but the use of the small fence/railings as ladders just struck me as really brilliant. A nice detail I plan to use. :pir-classic:

Thanks for your nice words!

The ladders were first used on my frigate Le Requin, and i find the ystand out nice that way.

No inverted slopes, correct, i've put some detail shots of that in the BS folder :pir-wink:

The tumblehome is very real, i don't do in illusions :grin:

I'll see if i can contact someone about the situation.

It's pretty serious so i should let a professional handle this problem :pir-tongue:

Fixed :pir-wink:

Thanks again matey! :thumbup:

Seeing a ship like this makes me wanna start building one myself right away.

It's is a masterpiece and no doubt the result of several years of ship-building.

This is a thread I will visit several times. I just can't get enough of this beauty.

Thank you Boney, it is many years indeed and it s**ks i don't have any pictures of my early day ships :pir_bawling:

Building details in the BS folder, if you'd like to borrow some :pir-wink:

Wow, it's a beauty :pir-wub:

Kinda makes me sad I don't have the parts (or the skills for that matter) to make a ship like this :pir-cry_sad: .

The tumblehome is very real, i don't do in illusions :grin:

OK, now that I have seen the pics on BS I am in agony! :pir_bawling:

How on earth did you do the tumblehome? Is it all hinged just above where the sides transition from hull pieces to brick? If so, how do the hinged sides connect to the bow and stern and interior or are they held in by the rigging? I don't suppose you have any WIP shots? :pir-classic:

Edit: it just occurs to me that a tutorial on how to create a tumblehome effect would be really cool. Especially comparing the different methods people have used. Just a suggestion for anyone not trying to put you on the spot Cap'n.

Edited by tedbeard

A marvelous and impressive work indeed, I especially like the beautiful stern, the fine and detailed bow, the amazing rigging and

the.... heck, I simply love everything on that big adorable beauty.... :pir-tongue::thumbup:

Absolutely amazing! I admired her in the Pirate Comic, and it's a real treat to be able to see all of that fine detail!

Now I see why you wanted me to up the large set parts count for "A Pirate's Life!" but it never would have been enough to allow this beauty.

Just beautiful! :jollyroger:

Once again we see rigorously rigged Captain Green Hair vessel!

It's quite a stunning vessel but I can't help but think it looks too "tall" for it's length and appears it needs another hull piece to space the masts out a bit more.

Are trying to scare us or what with your 46 guns and all those decorations or what?? :pir-tongue:

Man it's a beauty. :pir_bawling: Without any doubt the best ship I've ever seen on a prefab hull.

I agree so much with Mr Phes though, I might just send you a midsection as soon as I arrive home!

Can we perhaps see a picture of the ship with full crew?

Made very well!

This is one of the most beautiful ships up till now what I have seen.

My deep respect, Capt. Green Hair !!!

Capt. K.

It's quite a stunning vessel but I can't help but think it looks too "tall" for it's length and appears it needs another hull piece to space the masts out a bit more.
I agree so much with Mr Phes though, I might just send you a midsection as soon as I arrive home!

I don't agree with Mr. T or P. :pir-tongue:

I think part of the ship built is below the waterline. (unless Cap'n Green Hair says otherwise :pir-blush: )

For the constitution, there are 4 decks.

2.5 of them are above the water line and 1.5 are below the water line.

Phredit: I've added this ship to the Index of MOC Ships. :thumbup:

Great work Cap'n

Thanks for all the kind words!

The photo's just don't do it justice, IRL it isn't too high or short, i soo want a big lense camera and a decent set up space :pir_bawling:

Also the side picture is a bit from above, that might make it look higer...

And yes Phred, the round part from the prefab hull would be underwater indeed, but when the ship is empty it would look like this.

Thanks for putting her in the index, that saved me a lot of paperwork again. :pir-cry_happy:

And yes Phred, the round part from the prefab hull would be underwater indeed, but when the ship is empty it would look like this.

Just to put this out there:

I've recently read that when a ship was emptied of her cargo or weapons,

the crew would place more stones in the "ballast" (the basement of the ship) to keep the ship at a similar water level.

This way the sailing qualities of the ship would remain the same and the ship wouldn't tip over in a strong gale.

I suggest implementing this with your ship Cap'n. :pir-wink:

Thanks for putting her in the index, that saved me a lot of paperwork again. :pir-cry_happy:

It's no big deal mate. :pir-classic:

I only had to forge your signature cause you forgot to sign the forms again. :pir-tongue:

I always loved this ship, and it didnt seem that big in the hands of Errorist! :pir-laugh:

Anyway I think its looks extremely similair to the La Soleil Royal:

soleilroyal.jpg

It has the little "hole" in the middle :pir-grin:

Soleil-Royal_img_0279.jpg

Still I love it! Im gonna try and make a big fancy stern for the HMS Unicorn. Ill just stuff alot of yellow pieces on there! :pir-oh3:

I can't believed that I missed this gem of a MOC.

I've got to say, this is one beautiful ship. Generally I find that the majority of pirate ship MOCs tend to feel a bit mis-proportioned when built on the conventional LEGO boat hulls, yet you've managed to build one of the most beautiful ships I've seen to date. There are several larger Pirate MOCs on these hulls, but this is probably my favorite. You have essentially done what most of us only dream of doing with hull pieces. In particular, I like how you've captured the way the ship bows out towards the midsection. This is something very few builders do well, yet you've nailed it perfectly here. While your ship may be of a modest size, the beautiful shape of the vessel is hard to ignore.

Awesome work!