The Many Adventures of the Whacker and the Walrus #6

36 replies to this topic

#26 Hinckley

Hinckley

• I'm an idito!

Member: 486

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:34 AM

Language is so interesting, isn't it? I love the little discussion that one word sparked and how different people in different regions say completely different things. It's hard to learn a language in a classroom environment because what people say depends so much on geography. I hope my comic continues to spark little discussion like this. Thanks. :blush:

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted Image Posted Image

#27 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Member: 1554

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:56 AM

View Postimperialshadows, on May 2 2008, 12:42 AM, said:

Plus I'm still not sure what a Tiber is. :laugh:
Yes, that was my biggest disapointment!  :tongue: Other than that the MOCs are great, the story funny (while odd), and the death scene enjoyable! The monster truck was an especially nice surprise. The airship turned out good as a set piece, but I was surprised that the rotors didn't seem to be moving. Must be a fast camera... :grin:

Will the next part solve the bucket delemma? Stay tuned!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!

#28 Sir Dillon

Sir Dillon

• Longs for the days of Wooden Ducks

Member: 435

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:50 PM

This was one of my favourites so far... the plot didn't seem any more random to me than previous episodes.

I really enjoy your dialogue, and all the clever comments between the characters. I was laughing at many of the scenes. :tongue:

Like others mentioned, the creations were really top-notch in this episode. Great job with that. :thumbup: Thanks for including me in the background. :blush:  :sweet:

Isn't tiber a river or something?
"I'm sorry, I don't have the time to build anything that doesn't directly promote me."

#29 Wout

Wout

Member: 1485

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:42 PM

View PostSir Dillon, on May 7 2008, 10:50 PM, said:

Isn't tiber a river or something?

The Tiber is a river in Italy and flows as far as I know through Rome.
In the computergame "Command and Conquer" The strange alien plant which generate money if you collect it with a harvester is called "Tiberium" because the plant was first found by this river (in the story of the game).
Duke of Equestria

#30 zero1312

zero1312

• Devilish Crap!!!!!

Member: 1455

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:09 PM

Man, that was hilarious at its best. :laugh:  :laugh:
Great job!!! :thumbup:
If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it!!
If my fate is to be destroyed................ I must simply laugh!!!

MOCpages:
http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/99432

Posted ImagePosted Image

#31 Khorne

Khorne

• I will not torment the emotionally frail - Nevermind

Member: 284

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:40 PM

View Posthighlandcattle, on May 4 2008, 09:45 PM, said:

And I think it is only used here in Antwerpen and surrounding places in Gent  for example they would say De MAX!.

While all dutch people seem to call everything they like lekker which just means tasty. I find that very funny :)
Over here in West-Flanders, when we find something cool, we call it 'bere', which means 'bear' in English :grin: . We use 'lekker' too, but it is usually pronounced as 'le'er' without the 'k' :tongue: .

flickr | brickshelf | Holmgang Wiki

Playing as Eric in Heroica RPG
Posted Image

#32 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Member: 1771

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:53 PM

View PostWout, on May 8 2008, 08:42 PM, said:

The Tiber is a river in Italy and flows as far as I know through Rome.
In the computergame "Command and Conquer" The strange alien plant which generate money if you collect it with a harvester is called "Tiberium" because the plant was first found by this river (in the story of the game).
That river is called Tevere in Italian :wink: And Tiberium was the name of the Roman Emperor during Pilate's government on Judaea [the tiberium seems also to be a temple dedicated to the same Emperor (by Pliate himself :look: ?)].

LuxorV

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Looking for new decals or help customising your LEGO elements? Check the Minifig Customisation Index!

My Brickshelf --- My Flickr

#33 Hairy Ruben

Hairy Ruben

• Not really hairy

Member: 1837

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:26 PM

I really enjoyed the issue. The only thing I'd have to remark, or better said, I was hoping to see, were some more town scenes in that lovely little modular city you're making. :blush:  And perhaps it's just my little affection for Akira Kurosawa that has influenced me but I really enjoy rain on the screen as well  :tongue:  

View PostKhoRne, on May 8 2008, 09:40 PM, said:

Over here in West-Flanders, when we find something cool, we call it 'bere', which means 'bear' in English :grin: . We use 'lekker' too, but it is usually pronounced as 'le'er' without the 'k' :tongue: .

Here in Antwerp - as far as I know that is - we tend to either put 'kei' in front of a word to make it "very" (literally translated it means small rock). Other times we also say "vet" which literally means "fat" but means really cool in that context. :sweet:

Come to think of it, it always struck me how the internet acronym 'lol' is also a Dutch word for 'fun'. That caused confusion on my part when I first took notice of the term on english forums. :pirate:

Edited by Hairy Ruben, 08 May 2008 - 09:27 PM.

Posted Image
Greenhair wants 1x3 tiles!

#34 Wout

Wout

Member: 1485

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:30 PM

View PostLuxorV, on May 8 2008, 09:53 PM, said:

That river is called Tevere in Italian :wink: And Tiberium was the name of the Roman Emperor during Pilate's government on Judaea [the tiberium seems also to be a temple dedicated to the same Emperor (by Pliate himself :look: ?)].

LuxorV

Thank you for the correction on the river. I think I only know how it's called in Dutch. :classic:
That Emperor is called in Dutch Bibles "Tiberias". :tongue:
Duke of Equestria

#35 samthelegoman1

samthelegoman1

Member: 3499

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:34 AM

Jeez!  When's the next one comin out? :hmpf_bad:

#36 Zorro

Zorro

• Farewell Dieter!

Member: 3951

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:43 AM

View Postsamthelegoman1, on Oct 6 2008, 03:34 AM, said:

Jeez!  When's the next one comin out? :hmpf_bad:

Woaah, this is SOOOO cool ! You are a genius, a true, fullborn genius. This is better then ANY Lego comic i've seen.
Please make more of these, I am going to search this forum for the rest as well.
I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E !!!

#37 DJ Force

DJ Force

• Topic Killer

Member: 1193

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:02 PM

No need to search for the other issues. Just click them at Hinckleys homepage  :classic:
http://brickzone.net/whacker.html

Edited by DJ Force, 06 October 2008 - 12:04 PM.

Chapter 2 is online!
Posted Image
DonĀ“t miss this epic adventure, the continuation of the Exo-Force story arch and let Exo-Force get the AFOL-treatment!

Chapter 1, Chapter 2
Building Instructions: Golden City Mini-Flyer, Sky Spy

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users