Jump to content


Pirate Port


  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic  – Started by Scouty , Apr 27 2008 05:10 AM

#26 posades

posades
  • Unknown Entity +9999


    Posts: 1653
    Joined: 11-November 08
    Member: 4353
    Country: USA

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:59 AM

View PostApocalypse, on Feb 17 2009, 02:02 AM, said:

Thanks for the advice in this (and your previous) post. To be honest, I actually made a conscious effort to avoid designing the wall in the manner you described (that is, with sparser brick work); I can appreciate the points you made.

I actually have some justification for this. Essentially this has to do with the manner in which I imagined the structure was built - initially it would have been uniformly covered in bricks, but over time weathering/vandalism/etc would have led to missing bricks. The effect is most dramatic on the front of the structure as this is the side exposed to the port. The sides of the house retain more bricks because they are protected by adjacent structures. (The structure on one side has yet to be built.) At any rate, this is just what I imagined. My reasoning may be entirely flawed. And I want to stress I really appreciate your well-though out constructive criticism!

Anyway, I really like the idea of replacing some tiles with dark red, Since I still need to make Bricklink purchase(s) to complete the interior I'll go ahead and order some dark red 1x2 tiles.

Thanks again for the comments and consideration you've given my MOC.

The Star Wars clone walker battle packs come with 2 or 3 (can't remember) dark red 1x2 tiles.  I'm sure you could buy several of those sets, sell off the figs and have the extra pieces from the walker for practically free.  Just a thought if you are into the whole buying/reselling thing.

Per aspera ad astra.

Xander Unth'or, lv 30 Hunter - Heroica RPG


#27 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

    Posts: 18
    Joined: 29-April 05
    Member: 313

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:41 AM

View Postricecracker, on Feb 16 2009, 03:32 AM, said:

Very nice! I must've missed this the first time around. I really love this, even without figs. I also like the brickwork on the house. Keep us posted!

Thanks for the compliments. It does actually have some figs. I am pretty apprehensive about adding a lot of figs to a MOC. I think things get a big overcrowded quickly. I do have a small collection of red coats that I would like to use ultimately, but they didn't fit in with the house (I intend it to be a private residence).

View PostCapt. Kirk, on Feb 18 2009, 03:08 AM, said:

NP at all and I respect your opinion Apocalypse...
I didn't know you want to create an "old look"... my apologies.
Keep building and looking forward to see the finished result (such as the interior).

No apology necessary! Your advice was great. I will try to implement it on another structure and let you all know when I have something to show for it.

View Postposades, on Feb 18 2009, 03:59 AM, said:

The Star Wars clone walker battle packs come with 2 or 3 (can't remember) dark red 1x2 tiles.  I'm sure you could buy several of those sets, sell off the figs and have the extra pieces from the walker for practically free.  Just a thought if you are into the whole buying/reselling thing.

Thanks for the advice! I've never sold Lego but that seems like a practical solution to getting some red tiles and avoiding the premiums at Bricklink.

#28 Capt. Kirk

Capt. Kirk
  • Graphics artist


    Posts: 1214
    Joined: 22-May 08
    Member: 3176
    Country: Belgium

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:10 AM

View PostApocalypse, on Feb 17 2009, 09:02 AM, said:

Essentially this has to do with the manner in which I imagined the structure was built - initially it would have been uniformly covered in bricks, but over time weathering/vandalism/etc would have led to missing bricks.

I notice by reading it again,... if stones/bricks would be disappeared by the years gone by, then you would have a whole in the wall. Because in the 16th and early 17th century also know as "The Golden Age of Piracy" (the period roughly spanning from the 1650s to the 1720s) in most countries they used bricks first and after the wall was build they put lime on top. It was commonly use in Europe. But especially in the Southern areas (in some areas they still do it... Greece for example). So if we can see the bricks then it means that the line is already gone. As then the brick disappears we have a whole...  :pir-wink:

But like I said... it's your MOC and all my respect for it... but just want to let you know this.

Edited by Capt. Kirk, 18 February 2009 - 10:10 AM.

Respect all Lego bricks !!!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

My website (Tablesoccer): CBKA | My Flickr gallery


#29 General Armendariz

General Armendariz
  • I invoke upon thee...the Curse of the Merman-General!


    Posts: 1870
    Joined: 03-October 08
    Member: 4056
    Country: United States

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:40 AM

Ooh im lovin it :pir_laugh2:

#30 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

    Posts: 18
    Joined: 29-April 05
    Member: 313

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:24 AM

View PostCapt. Kirk, on Feb 18 2009, 10:10 AM, said:

I notice by reading it again,... if stones/bricks would be disappeared by the years gone by, then you would have a whole in the wall. Because in the 16th and early 17th century also know as "The Golden Age of Piracy" (the period roughly spanning from the 1650s to the 1720s) in most countries they used bricks first and after the wall was build they put lime on top. It was commonly use in Europe. But especially in the Southern areas (in some areas they still do it... Greece for example). So if we can see the bricks then it means that the line is already gone. As then the brick disappears we have a whole...  :pir-wink:

But like I said... it's your MOC and all my respect for it... but just want to let you know this.


This makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the great explanation! I will try to be a little more diligent in researching my next MOC. And of course I will think about all the great advice you have given. Thanks again!

View PostGenaral armendariz, on Feb 19 2009, 04:40 AM, said:

Ooh im lovin it :pir_laugh2:

Thank you! Is there anything in particular you like?




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links