Sign in to follow this  
WetWired

Modular MOC WIP: Pet Store

indexed.gif B-OM-1B

This is still very early, I've duplicated the 2nd floor onto the 3rd just for now, it will have a unique 3rd floor when I'm finished. It's currently only in LDD and I plan to order the parts through bricklink when the design is finished.

It's made to fit between the green grocer (on the left) and the cafe corner (on the right) it's much smaller with a messy alley on the side, the phone booth when butted up against the cafe corner would close it off completely.

The idea is basically a small family style pet store, there's a couple of cages in the front inside the windows that will eventually have some cats and dogs, it has a register and shelves with pet food, the 2nd floor has a large 4 poster bed.

The 3rd floor (which I haven't done yet) I'm not sure yet, I may attempt to do a haunted attic with boarded up windows and a ghost, but we'll see, it may not suit the style of building.

What i'm after from you guys really is feedback on the colour scheme and architecture, I want it to fit in seamlessly with the other official modular buildings but yet still have it's own unique style.

3333803141_78488ff6be_z.jpg

Pet Store Front Exterior by Brent Waller, on Flickr

That´s a very distinct and detailed facade work and that color scheme works really well too.

I especially like the original shape of the building with that cool corner entrance and that

pets sign works great too, I´m pretty sure it´ll fit well into the realm of modular buildings. :thumbup:

It's a nice building. I guess it's hard to match it against the Corner Cafe and Green grocer without seeing the final structure (the roofline says alot about a building). I like your building's facade, and the Pets logo on the front really jumps out. I'm not that keen on the green, but that's simply a personal taste. My biggest concern would be that the architecture feels very different from the Cafe and Grocer sets. This building feels a bit more modern like something you would see in New York. the Green Grocer and Corner Cafe have a more European flare to them and at the very least don't look like something you would see in a larger American city. Something about them screams to me "small town". Your building looks like a trendy uptown pet store.

Still, cities are diverse and there are countless forms of architecture in every city I've had the fortune of visiting. While I don't think that your building matches with the Green Grocer/Corner Cafe asethetic, I don't think it matters. The important thing is that you've put in enough detailing to make your building match up well with the other buildings in this series. The biggest criticism I have about Corner Cafe knockoffs is that many of them are overly simplified making them stand at odds with the stunning detail of this series of LEGO sets. Your building doesn't suffer from this affliction.

this is a great moc!

i really like the "pets" design and the entrance

im not sure if green goes with sand color. dark green might be better.

and i dont like the aircondition things on the right.

looking forward to see how the roof comes out.

I do agree about it looking a bit like new york, I was aiming for a paris look as to me the offical modular sets all look like they'd be at home on a paris street. I do like the facade though so I'll do some research and find some pictures of some more paris buildings and see if I can make an small changes on it to make it feel more european without changing it too much. Also adding the roof might be enough to europeanize it :)

I might get rid of the air conditioner completely, that could be part of the reason it looks too modern, the other modular sets all have a bit of a timeless feel to them.

As for the green, I'll look around and see what other green colours I can get those grill 1 x 2 bricks in, perhaps sand green? or dark green even.

Other things I will probably do in the final building

• Rotate the pets sign so it sits at 45 degrees to the building
  • Add a small wooden slat fence along the alleyway
  • add more debris in the alley (small garbage cans, planks of wood, crates)
  • I might get rid of the black lattice in the small arched windows
  • maybe add a small wooden bench out the front (if I have room)
  • perhaps in place of the air conditioner put a small balcony

Anyway your comments are welcome, to sum it up

• too modern
  • looks american rather than european.
  • possibly change the green to less vibrant green.

Awesome! I really love it. I especially love the window AC units and the phone booth! :wub: Lots of great architectural detail in there. People who live in your TableTown have no problem finding the Pet Store, I bet. You can see it from two towns over! :laugh: