Sign in to follow this  
xenologer

Utility Rover/Truck

For this rover I took inspiration from older style 4-wide Town vehicles.

It could almost fit into a Town, except for the bug-eyed headlights. (maybe a futuristic town)

utility.jpg

utility2.jpg

utility3.jpg

It's using the same body hinge as my Blue Rover, to allow passive steering, smooth rolling on the desktop.

Rear axle is on a technic rod to allow a simple pendular suspension as well.

Rather than pop the roof off to put the minifig in, it and the windscreen flip forwards on a hinge.

Oh, and take a look at the cool construction method used on the flatbed walls.(this would probably be more appreciated in Town forum) Can easily pull out the 1*6 plates and replace with taller ones (2*6,etc) for different cargo needs.

Factory Link

EDIT: latest version factory link (better than the screenshots)

New Version

Edited by xenologer

That´s a really smart work, steering, suspension and flatbed walls, just ingeniously! :'-)

Thanks!

I've uploaded the LDD file now (editing first post).

LDD did not consider the flatbed walls to be a real brick connection. Though it does work and has been used in some official sets (see the SP1 pod attachments). So I had to trick it into letting me place those plates there by connecting them to temporary 'scaffolding' bricks which were then deleted afterwards.

One thing that I'm dissatisfied with, is that the driver's cab is so cramped as to not allow a steering wheel; there's barely enough space for the control stick I have at the moment. Really a 1*2 printed control panel would be ideal here.

Very interesting design, The EN could see some use in these, permission to build one for my army's use?

Stauder. *skull*

permission to build one for my army's use?

Sure have fun.

Thats the point of LDD models, so other people can have them too.

Well I've also got the suspicion that TLC looks at the models people upload to get ideas for new themes, what the market wants, etc. Hence... Im always trying to share good Space stuff.

EDIT:

I suddenly had a great realization:

I can level out the flatbed to gain even more cargo space, by attaching those bar pieces Under the platform instead of on top of it.

The big plate holds the sides in rather than those separate panel tiles in the old one.

Check it out

utility4.jpg

Version2

EDIT:

and now that we know the basic concept... we can make things look pretty cool too

utility5.jpg

Edited by xenologer

Thank you so much for the LDD file, xenologer! X-D I had lots of fun playing with all the cool features of your MOC in LDD -- it's almost like playing with the real thing! The price is also very reasonable for me -- I might try ordering it sometime!

-Toa Of Justice

another new feature:

utilityb1.jpg

utilityb2.jpg

Now added a door to the flatbed.

flips down to load cargo.

Also notice the combo of both smooth tile with studs on the floor. may look a little strange with them along one edge like that, but I did it this way since it should allow more versatility in what kind of cargo you load. (some boxes work best free floating, others you might want to attach)

Newest LDD file link

So on one hand, now its broken the 10$USD price point, but then again there's plenty of features for such a small model.