PICTORIAL REVIEW: 8829 Dune Blaster

8 replies to this topic

#1 BerndDasBrot

BerndDasBrot

• Hey! It's yellow!

Member: 1849

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:07 PM

Hi!

This is my forth (old-school) technic set review!

Since blakbird pointed out that all my technic reviews are red, I chose a yellow dune blaster for today!

Posted Image

just kidding. this set is red as it should be! (Don't worry my next reviews will be yellow and black... uhhh forshadowing...  ;-) )

Posted Image

I will start with some facts!

277 elements and released in 1994

that's enough.

#1: the box:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2: the parts:

Posted Image

#3: building instructions and catalogues:

Wow! No folds, no wear marks - simply:  *wub*
Posted Image

Posted Image

"Was lesen coole Kids?" - "KLICK! Das super Magazin fuer coole Kids!" (How obvious...)

#4: building:

No differential.
Posted Image

I really love the way the 1x8 Technic Bricks on the sides will be positioned later.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fun fact: the engine contains no 2L-Technic Axle.
Posted Image

Posted Image

...and finished. A real quick build.
Posted Image

#5: spare parts:

...for the alternate model. The yellow Technic Handle should be from 8412. Maybe a bonus feature from the seller!
Posted Image

#6: random shots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7: final thoughts:

This is my second 8829 and I also noticed that the engine turns very hard.

The alternate model is really (sorry to all those of you who like it) crappy.
I mean- a nice idea, but not with this wheels! :-|

Anyway: a really beautiful Technic-set! *reminiscing* (this word exists, does it?)

thanks for viewing the pictures, I hope you enjoyed it!
Please comment if you want to!

Edited by BerndDasBrot, 21 March 2008 - 02:09 PM.

i dunno... erm- just watching.

Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#2 Toa_Of_Justice

Toa_Of_Justice

Member: 2644

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:10 PM

That looks like a very nice set! :-) In your opinion, how does it compare to the current Dune Buggy?
-Toa Of Justice

Tinker Posted Image Bell | 21103 Posted Image Revamp | iWin Posted Image Dual Device Dock

Please see my Brickshelf gallery for more MOCs!

I don't mind if anyone borrows any part of any of my MOCs. Please be sure to give me credit though.

#3 BerndDasBrot

BerndDasBrot

• Hey! It's yellow!

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:05 PM

I don't own the 8296, but what I can see from the pictures, I would say that 8296 is very similar to 8829.
The only things that are different ist that 8296 is studless and features a steering wheel for the seat.
But 8829 has got bigger wheels...  >:-)
It also would have been nice, if the wheels from 8296 could have the same tread.

Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#4 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:58 PM

A very good review with fine and informative pictures, and a really nice set, thanks, BerndDasBrot.  *sweet*
Hmm, I really wish that TLC would make some steerable cars within the System line too....

#5 AgentRick57

AgentRick57

Member: 2280

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:18 PM

Great set, great review, although the set looks better in yellow. :-D

#6 Blakbird

Blakbird

• Technic Angel of Retribution

Member: 2164

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

View PostBerndDasBrot, on Mar 21 2008, 07:07 AM, said:

Hi!

This is my forth (old-school) technic set review!

Since blakbird pointed out that all my technic reviews are red, I chose a yellow dune blaster for today!

This is my second 8829 and I also noticed that the engine turns very hard.

The alternate model is really (sorry to all those of you who like it) crappy.
I mean- a nice idea, but not with this wheels! :-|

Anyway: a really beautiful Technic-set! *reminiscing* (this word exists, does it?)

thanks for viewing the pictures, I hope you enjoyed it!
Please comment if you want to!

A great set review, as always.  Nice try making a review of a set that was not red.  It almost worked!  Maybe next time.   *sweet*

One thing I noticed is that a bunch of your pictures are missing the beam that goes over the left hand wheel as a fender.  Like this picture:
Posted Image

What kind of camera do you use?  The pictures have very good depth of field, meaning that both the foreground and the background are in good focus.  This is usually hard to do without a very small aperture.

Yes, "reminiscing" is a word.  It means to fondly remember the past.

I also noticed that the engine was sticky.  Set 8408 has the same problem.  It took me forever to figure out what the problem was.  If you take the engine out of the model, it turns nice and smooth.  Then when you put it back in, it works terrible.  It turns out the key is that, in the back, there is an 8 tooth spur gear and a 24 tooth crown gear used as a spur.  If you look at Technica, you will see that there are two different crown gears.  One of them works well mated with an 8 tooth on parallel axles, and the other one doesn't.  The difference is only supposed to be longer teeth, so it really should not matter, but it does.  If your set works bad, try switching the crown gear to one of the other variety.  Worked for me.

Eric
Blakbird
Technicopedia

#7 Blakbird

Blakbird

• Technic Angel of Retribution

Member: 2164

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:56 PM

View PostToa_Of_Justice, on Mar 21 2008, 08:10 AM, said:

That looks like a very nice set! :-) In your opinion, how does it compare to the current Dune Buggy?
-Toa Of Justice

IMHO, 8829 is much better than 8296.  First, 8829 is a lot bigger.  I really like the huge rear balloon tires.  They both have rack and pinion steering, and they both have trailing arm rear suspension with a V-2 engine.  I think the body on 8829 is a little more well done.  For 8296, I think the alternate tractor model is much better.

For more comparisons, see Technicopedia.

Eric
Blakbird
Technicopedia

#8 BerndDasBrot

BerndDasBrot

• Hey! It's yellow!

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:44 PM

View PostBlakbird, on Mar 22 2008, 09:49 PM, said:

One thing I noticed is that a bunch of your pictures are missing the beam that goes over the left hand wheel as a fender.

oh no. I forgot to put it back. I wanted to make a photo with this beam alone...  8-|

Blakbird said:

What kind of camera do you use?  The pictures have very good depth of field, meaning that both the foreground and the background are in good focus.  This is usually hard to do without a very small aperture.

The camera belongs to my dad. it's a panasonic lumix dmc-fz30eg:

Posted Image

Blakbird said:

One of them works well mated with an 8 tooth on parallel axles, and the other one doesn't.  The difference is only supposed to be longer teeth, so it really should not matter, but it does.  If your set works bad, try switching the crown gear to one of the other variety.  Worked for me.

Wow! you're right! Never thought of that! thanks!

I made a SCAN (!) of those two gears:
You can notice the longer teeth (first pic).

Posted Image

Edited by BerndDasBrot, 23 March 2008 - 03:03 PM.

#9 Toa_Of_Justice

Toa_Of_Justice

Member: 2644

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:43 PM

View PostBlakbird, on Mar 22 2008, 03:56 PM, said:

IMHO, 8829 is much better than 8296.  First, 8829 is a lot bigger.  I really like the huge rear balloon tires.  They both have rack and pinion steering, and they both have trailing arm rear suspension with a V-2 engine.  I think the body on 8829 is a little more well done.  For 8296, I think the alternate tractor model is much better.

For more comparisons, see Technicopedia.

Eric
Wow! 8-� Thanks for that cool link, Blakbird! X-D I agree that 8829's body is better. I especially like 8829's rear spoiler and its angled side beams. :-)
-Toa Of Justice

Tinker Posted Image Bell | 21103 Posted Image Revamp | iWin Posted Image Dual Device Dock

Please see my Brickshelf gallery for more MOCs!

I don't mind if anyone borrows any part of any of my MOCs. Please be sure to give me credit though.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users