6 replies to this topic

#1 simonwillems

simonwillems

• Technic Campaigner

Member: 1116

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:40 PM

Posted Image

Hello fellow Eurobrickers!

I present to you the first eight-wide train I ever tried, somewhat based on the 7740 Intercity Train from 1980. I always liked this model but never got a chance to buy one at reasonable price.
The setup is the same as the 7740 (one locomotive, one passenger carriage and one diner carriage), it has the same length as the 7740 but that is where the similarities end.

The locomotive is powered by a 9 volt trainmotor and has 4 electric lights built in, two in front and two in the back. Cables for that run underneath the floor of the engine.

Building a train in eight-wide has unlimited possibilities when it comes to the interior, the locomotive has a big walk-through engine compartment with doors, the passenger carriage has lots of seats, fold-out tables and a toilet, the diner has a small bar, some tables and a sleeping compartment with two fold-out beds, a closet and a sink separated from the rest of the train by a small door.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

These pictures all are clickable

The entire Brickshelf Gallery

Only thing is that the motor has to withstand quite a lot when pulling this heavy train through the curves, but when it's in motion nothing can stop it...  :'-)
All in all I am quite happy with the result, I had to enlarge my tunnel entrance, but the train is now capable to run across my entire layout.

Comments are very welcome!

:-)

Edited by Hinckley, 26 February 2008 - 07:02 AM.

#2 Wouwie

Wouwie

• Thank you for proven services to Classic-Pirates.com.

Member: 1890

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:52 PM

I love it! The loc reminds me of the loc of the Benelux train of the NS;
Posted Image
The real truth:
Posted Image

#3 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:23 PM

An elegant and charming engine with, well, an engine indeed, very fine, a plain smart
passenger carriage with a beautiful interior and lovely details like these foldable tables
and the neat toilet.  *y*
Iīm not completely sure about the diner car, although its interiorīs very decent too, it looks
a little unusual that you can not go completely through to another car that easily.... some kind
of caboose, perhaps?  8-|
A very clever work nevertheless.  :'-)

#4 legotrainfan

legotrainfan

Member: 2562

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:27 PM

The outside of the train looks quite ordinary, but your effort is quickly revealed when you have a look at the interior where you have put in a lot of nice stuff.  *y*  I also find it an ingenious idea to place the cables under the floor of the locomotive! I have never thought about buidling an 8-wide train but getting more space inside is definitely a strong argument for it.
[...]
I have spread my dreams under your feet.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 casewindu

casewindu

• Extreme Tie General

Member: 1257

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

Really nice love the interior, this is the size trains should be in lego form!

#6 Holodoc

Holodoc

• Has finally seen the box

Member: 1094

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:42 PM

Very nice train!
What I like most is the small toilet, the kitchen and the restroom with the bunk beds. *wub* Very well done!
Like legotrainfan I have never thought of building trains that way, but this IS a reason to build trains 8-stud-wide.

I would have chosen another colour but blue, though.

8 ON!
Even more interested in LEGO bricks & parts? Read Tim Johnson's (aka Caperberry) blog: Posted Image

#7 simonwillems

simonwillems

• Technic Campaigner

Member: 1116

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:18 PM

Thanks for all those nice words!  :-$

View PostAsuka, on Feb 19 2008, 09:23 PM, said:

Iīm not completely sure about the diner car, although its interiorīs very decent too, it looks
a little unusual that you can not go completely through to another car that easily.... some kind
of caboose, perhaps?  8-|

I tried lots of different settings for the beds, but the best option was to build them against the 'back wall' of the coach, that way it was possible to make the door of the compartment an opening one... With the diner carriage on the end of the train it's still possible to walk through to the passenger coach (for thin persons, that is, squeezing between the bar and the wall  :-D ).

View Postlegotrainfan, on Feb 20 2008, 07:27 PM, said:

I have never thought about buidling an 8-wide train but getting more space inside is definitely a strong argument for it.

View PostHolodoc, on Feb 20 2008, 09:42 PM, said:

I have never thought of building trains that way, but this IS a reason to build trains 8-stud-wide.

Well, start building! It's the opportunity to put in all sorts of ideas about interiors.... It was great fun realizing so much could be put in.

View PostHolodoc, on Feb 20 2008, 09:42 PM, said:

I would have chosen another colour but blue, though.

I would have too... But the colour-choice was a practical one because I had just bought a pack of blue doors and had lots of blue windows.

8-wide on indeed!

:-)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users