Outback Airstrip 6444 Picture Review

16 replies to this topic

#1 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:30 PM

I've been wanting to share a picture review of the Outback Airstrip (6444) for some time now, and finally decided to snap some shots.  First, let me say that this little set is one of my all-time favorites becuase it can be used to sumplement a number of different themes.  1) the set makes a great little adventure airstrip for Adventurers and more recent, the Indiana Jones theme (see also German Headquarters and Port Adventure).  I've also used the set as an addition to my Wild West town.  The tan baseplate and windmill works great, just subtract the plane, modern equipment, and figs.  And lastly, as the set was intended, as an Outback/desert airstrip.

Set Description:

Outback Airstrip
Set # 6444
Pieces: 157
Release Date: 1997
Original Price: $20 (USD)

Starting with the box:

Posted Image

And the backside.  Notice the alternate models.  I love the swamp boat:

Posted Image

The building is my favorite part of the set.  It is simple, has a little detail, two great roof pieces, and a single green window (great piece!):

Posted Image

Check out the great windmill piece.  It's my only one and makes a great part for Wild West and that farm you always wanted to build.  I used it for the Barnhouse of Barnabas Higgens and Spring Valley Ranch

Posted Image

On the side of the building is a great radio and a clear glass:  

Posted Image

Unfortunately, no furniture can be found within the building:

Posted Image

And now the airplane:

Posted Image

Front view; I love the twin propellors:

Posted Image

Side view:

Posted Image

And the rear section:

Posted Image

The back has a small cargo hold for some boxes/freight or some gear needed in the Outback:

Posted Image

The set includes three figs, two with cool shades:

Posted Image

And some great equipment.  I love the boom box:

Posted Image

A shot of the whole set:

Posted Image

And another:

Posted Image

Summary:  As I mentioned above, this set is very versatile and can suplement a few different themes.  It's my personal favorite of the Outback collection and I'm really glad I was able to find the set in the late 90s (I almost didn't buy).  Sets like this are timeless and so much fun to build and display.

Hope you enjoy the review.

#2 Lt. Veers

Lt. Veers

Member: 2229

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for the review. The set looks even better than I imagined!
"The Empire can be different. Provided we shoot all the lunatics who enjoy the idea."
Flickr

#3 Lord Of Pies

Lord Of Pies

• Official Pirate Set Reviewer, who's back into pirates!

Member: 2085

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:37 PM

Thank you for the great review!

I unfortunately do not own this set, but it looks very nice, even if the interior is a bit bare. But still we get 3 cool propeller pieces, a boom box and clear glasses, some very useful parts indeed!
Are you hasty for a tasty pastry?

#4 xwingyoda

xwingyoda

Member: 255

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:18 PM

Shouldn't that set be in the city forum  8-|  The outback theme is really a sub city theme and not adventurer  :-P

Very nice review though Brickster  ;-)

*yoda*

#5 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:49 PM

Thank you for that very fine review of a really great set that offers a lot of
adventurous atmosphere and that can be well used as a starting point for
many exciting tales of dangerous undertakings.  *y*
By looking at your neat pictures and the box art of that set I canīt help myself
from thinking 'A-Team, here we go....'  :'-)

#6 AgentRick57

AgentRick57

Member: 2280

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:57 PM

Wow! much better than my review of the set! I'd find it, but the Trains Forum is gone!

#7 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Member: 1554

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:45 AM

I love this set!  *wub* Oddly I don't think these were common in Australia. The first I heard of this was via some online instruction browsing. Thanks for the great review.  *sweet*

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!

#8 VBBN

VBBN

• Teaching is made up of patience

Member: 1621

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:30 AM

Thanks for the review! That plane makes me think of the one from Flight of the Phoenix.

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted Image

Before this is all over, promise me you'll figure out which one of us is the machine.

#9 Batbrick

Batbrick

• I'm back ...with a banana

Member: 1917

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for this brilliant review of a fantastic set TheBrickster. I love those roof pieces, and that nice little building, as you say this set would be great integrating into various themes. Great little details like the tires on grass, and the weather vane. I love that radio too. The Twin Boom constructed plane (Yes, I know a lot about planes, well, old ones anyway) is great, and the construction is very nice.

Thanks again, a great set.

Batbrick Away!  >:-)
And see and comment on KDog's hilarious Space Comic here:
Posted Image
Click on pic to see and comment now!  And please add this ad to your sig so more people can see this fantastic work!

Batbrick Away!

#10 ChrisF2006

ChrisF2006

Member: 1363

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:47 PM

This was one of my favorite sets of all time for some reason. I used to spend hours playing with the little plane and the airstrip while ignoring all the other Lego sets (including my big favorites of police and fire/rescue) :-D

I liked to pretend the plane was part of a rebel or mercenary air force and I attached some little black flagpoles to the wings as machine guns. I actually had a whole custom mercenary army (basically I took every civilian vehicle/airplane/boat I had and mounted them with machine guns, Bofors cannons, etc) and then I had them fight the Best Lock or one of the Lego rip offs that produced a military theme (looking at Best Lock's website my sets and figures look very different - im confused now since I swear they are Best Lock that I have).

#11 Commander Red Hat

Commander Red Hat

• Leader of the Redcoats!

Member: 1914

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:55 PM

That sure brings back memories, i have it somewhere...in pieces :-$

But it is a great set, thanks for the review! *y*
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#12 Zzz

Zzz

• Flick-fires the hell out of aliens!

Member: 1281

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:38 PM

would love to have it - thanks for the review...

too bad it was released in my dark ages, it would get along perfectly with this:
Posted Image
which I own and simply love...  *wub*

outback on!
"I am Iron Man."  -  "I am Groot!"

#13 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:49 AM

View PostChrisF2006, on Feb 11 2008, 04:47 AM, said:

I used to spend hours playing with the little plane and the airstrip while ignoring all the other Lego sets.
I liked to pretend the plane was part of a rebel or mercenary air force and I attached some little black flagpoles to the wings as machine guns. I actually had a whole custom mercenary army.
Chris:
These are the stories that I really enjoy hearing. *y*   The real fun with great sets like this is in the imagination that people like you bring to the set.  Reminds me of my "fun times" with Lego, before I got boring and just started displaying my collection.

View PostZzz, on Feb 11 2008, 05:38 AM, said:

too bad it was released in my dark ages, it would get along perfectly with this:
Posted Image
which I own and simply love...  *wub*
I saw a picture of this set a year or two ago.  What a great set!  Makes me want to go river rafting X-O !

#14 hoang

hoang

Member: 2697

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:49 AM

aww man i want the boom box

#15 snefroe

snefroe

• waisted plastic

Member: 230

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:46 AM

i bought this set about a year and a half ago because... well it was boxed X-D  and from another century...  :-| so i thought it was ok to buy it :-|

It's not a bad set, that's for sure. so no complaints, but it doesn't reach my all time top 30 of city sets, honestly... what bothers me the most is the black mast and the duplo rotor... at least it reminds me of the duplo thing... i think both are not really lego mf-parts, but from other themes. isn't the mast some sort of Jack stone part? a bad sign of what's to come, imo...  

to me, this set, and the others from this timeframe, will always be associated with the falling apart of the real city though. To me, outback was an attempt by Lego to keep the city line alive by going the exotic way. as a consequence, it doesn't feel like it's a part of the city sets... it's something between city and some sort of modern day adventures... couldn't really relate to it when i saw this in the 1997 catalog back then... Can't imagine that it was all that successfull as a line...

#16 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:52 AM

View Postsnefroe, on Feb 13 2008, 12:46 AM, said:

to me, this set, and the others from this timeframe, will always be associated with the falling apart of the real city though. To me, outback was an attempt by Lego to keep the city line alive by going the exotic way. as a consequence, it doesn't feel like it's a part of the city sets... it's something between city and some sort of modern day adventures... couldn't really relate to it when i saw this in the 1997 catalog back then... Can't imagine that it was all that successfull as a line...
How could you Sne?  I think this is better than that.  I actually liked the Outback theme (perhaps it reminds me a little of WW - at least this set).

And I actually like the windmill piece.  It is a large piece, but it makes for a good windmill.

#17 BreedingtheSpawn

BreedingtheSpawn

Member: 13689

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

I remember having this set as a kid really cool.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users