johnny or Indy?

31 replies to this topic

Poll: Indy or johnny? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Indy or johnny?

1. Indy! (20 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

2. johnny! (22 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. don't like either (1 votes [1.82%])

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

4. hmm can't decide... (12 votes [21.82%])

Percentage of vote: 21.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Piranha

Piranha

• Tag! You're it

Member: 1506

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:08 AM

I still haven't voted, but since there is confusion on what we are voting on, I think its time I declared this an "Unscientific Poll"  :-P

P

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image

#27 TinyPiesRUs

TinyPiesRUs

• Not afraid of a witch hunt!

Member: 1725

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:18 AM

Setwise I'd without a doubt say Johnny Thunder. Even if the vehicles are far worse than the ones from the Indy line, the structures were truly amazing. Not only did they have great traps and playability, they had incredible detail as well. Indy buildings only really have playability, with a couple of details. None of the Indy sets so far should even be mentioned in the same breath as the Dragon Fortress and Sphinx Secret Surprise.

Minfigwise, it's much more difficult. Indiana Jones has incredibly detailed figs, very similar to their movie conterparts (if only they had new faces for Belloq, Satipo and Jock though..). Adventurers had it's fair share of great minifigs too, including ones very different from any other before, such as the mummy, the Aztec chief, the Indians, the sherpas and the Chinese. In the end I would prefer JT minifigs, simply because of those stunning molds (pharoah headress, pith helmet, Aztec headress, turban, mongol hat, Asian peasant hat..).

Comparing the two themes on sets and minifigs isn't all though. The time periods in which they've been made should be considered too. While the adventurers line was going, I preferred the Western and Pirate themes over it when it came out. Now in 2008, the Indy sets are on the top of my priorities, while in 1997, Western was. That shows that, while I prefer the Adventurers sets over the Indy ones, Adventurers wasn't my favourite theme when it was around, but Indiana Jones is.

I love both themes, and Indiana Jones is definately my favourite theme this year. In fact, I'm sure that if Indiana Jones was a licence 10 years ago, it would be much better than the current one. It's more about the different periods really. TLC have changed in how they think, and replaced their old values with newer ones. In that sense, the two themes can't really be compared without comparing the two different periods.

I hope that all makes sense  :-$

#28 Brickadier General

Brickadier General

Member: 1705

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:33 AM

I voted "can't decide," but the truth is I really like both equally.  They both have different things to offer.  J. Thundered ushered in the era of "new color" bricks with tan and had a lot of cool new pieces and minifigs.  The sets were really fun and diverse including, Egypt, South America, the Far East, and even an Arthur Conan Doylesque "Lost World" theme.  Since it was not under the constraints of licensing, Johnny Thunder seemed like he could end up anywhere.

Indiana Jones is great too, for some of the reasons mentioned above.  It's a great source of great new parts and minifigs.  The sets are also designed very well, and are pretty faithful to the movies.  It's almost like it's a worthy successor to Johnny Thunder.  But with it being licensed, I'm not sure it will see a run of more than two years.  There's only so much you can do with 4 movies, unless they tap into the Young Indiana Jones series.  Plus, as time passes following the release of the 4th movie I think the appeal of such sets may wear off with the general public.  It's popular, but not as much of a mega hit as Star Wars, with its expanded universe.  I hate to say it, but I think that Indy will disappear after 2009.

#29 Sir Dillon

Sir Dillon

• Longs for the days of Wooden Ducks

Member: 435

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:45 PM

I wasn't entirely sure of what the poll was asking, so decided to vote purely by which of the two minifigures I prefer.

I really like the figure of Johnny, and there's a few variations of him, which gives you a nice variety, but I voted for Indy in the end. Even though he's a fleshtone, his design is very nice, and his accessories are great, especially his hat and satchel. *wub*
"I'm sorry, I don't have the time to build anything that doesn't directly promote me."

#30 The Penguin

The Penguin

• Vodka, Caviar, and Bears on Unicycles!

Member: 2465

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:56 PM

If you pardon me for saying this, gentlemen, but I think that it's no use comparing the two lines by the look of minifigs or the use of details, as some of you do. It was 10 years ago (my lord!  8- ) when it all started and it was a real sensation! So many new and awsome details, so many new ways of building, etc. Nowadays, for good or ill, TLC has invented tons of new detail, created hundred of new prints, and indeed ye olde Johnny-boy looks (but only several sets!) a bit blockish or silly, but is that a reason for us now to kick the dead lion?  *sad*
I think that we should judge the lines by their playability, good interior/exterior. space for your imagination and etc.... The answer to the question "who's better?" is obvious for me....

Good day, gentlemen,  :-)

#31 Commander Red Hat

Commander Red Hat

• Leader of the Redcoats!

Member: 1914

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

Johnny it is, die fleshies, die! *n*
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#32 Kamzel

Kamzel

Member: 1959

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:15 AM

Johnny. Two reasons: I don't like this current LEGO policy to make more and more licensed products instead of their own themes. I don't like this flesh colour as well.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users