Lego Cannons

14 replies to this topic  – Started by Admiral Bejaune , Jan 30 2008 04:46 AM

#1 Admiral Bejaune

Admiral Bejaune
  • Guitar god!

Member: 1964

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:46 AM

What size does everybody think the lego system cannons are... Are they 12 pounders, 18 pounders, etc..
I think we should come to an agreement on an official size of the lego system cannons for this forum. What does everyone think?
-TGREEN
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Introduce a little Anarchy, Upset the Established Order, and Everything becomes chaos!"

"Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all." -Edward Teach

“Lego from BrickLink comes in small plastic bags....... So Does Drugs.” -Captain GreenHair

#2 meschepers

meschepers

Member: 1763

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:58 AM

I think that's a mighty fine idea.

I'm not sure what size they'd be, but they'd be huge.  I'd say about 18 pounds at least.  Those would be giant cannon balls for sure.
I've got three ships and sixty men,
A course for ports unread.
I'll stand at mast, let north winds blow
Till half of us are dead.

Land ho!

-Jim Morrison (The Doors)

#3 The Daphne Blue Strat

The Daphne Blue Strat

Member: 2509

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:27 AM

There's actually a whole tread with links to threads about cannons, including one on cannon gauges.  Check it out.
"D'you know, Aubrey, you remind me of that old Sodomite from the Bible."

"Sodomite, sir?!"

- Adm. Drury and Capt. Aubrey, RN

#4 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Member: 273

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:30 AM

Maybe this thread would work better as a poll giving people a choice between three or four different cannon sizes.

But for it to work there would have to get some factual information to educate people on the different cannon sizes so they could make a reasonable assessment.  

Since I know little of cannons we need an expert to provide the information, or someone to do some research...

Posted Image

#5 The Daphne Blue Strat

The Daphne Blue Strat

Member: 2509

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:40 AM

View PostMister Phes, on Jan 29 2008, 11:30 PM, said:

Maybe this thread would work better as a poll giving people a choice between three or four different cannon sizes.

But for it to work there would have to get some factual information to educate people on the different cannon sizes so they could make a reasonable assessment.  

Since I know little of cannons we need an expert to provide the information, or someone to do some research...

Here's the Wiki about "Naval Artillery In The Age Of Sail"...found it after I asked about chasers the other day.

Enjoy, all.

I personally agree that Lego cannons are probably in the neighborhood of 18 to 20 pounders...but I'm certainly no expert.
"D'you know, Aubrey, you remind me of that old Sodomite from the Bible."

"Sodomite, sir?!"

- Adm. Drury and Capt. Aubrey, RN

#6 Admiral Bejaune

Admiral Bejaune
  • Guitar god!

Member: 1964

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:37 AM

View PostMister Phes, on Jan 30 2008, 05:30 AM, said:

Your right.. We need to get a few people together to collaborate and then post the info on the different cannons sizes.. then we should poll... and i agree that they are large... I would say 18 pounders fit the bill.....
So if there is anyone out there who knows about cannons, please post your knowledge... Until then it looks like Im going to wikipedia....
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Introduce a little Anarchy, Upset the Established Order, and Everything becomes chaos!"

"Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all." -Edward Teach

“Lego from BrickLink comes in small plastic bags....... So Does Drugs.” -Captain GreenHair

#7 Commander Red Hat

Commander Red Hat
  • Leader of the Redcoats!

Member: 1914

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:45 PM

Definitly 18 pounders, 1 can stick its head nop in there :-D
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#8 captian flint lock

captian flint lock

Member: 2626

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:56 PM

yea 18 pounders for sure
:-D  *sweet*

yea 18 pounders for sure

#9 Tordenskjold

Tordenskjold

Member: 814

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:36 PM

36-pound, 24-pound and 12-pound calibres  was the standarized guns of the french fleet.
RN used 42-pounders, 32-pounders, 24-pounders, 18-pounders, 12-pounders, 9-pounders, 8-pounders, 6-pounders and several other small guns.  
And if we now set the size of the lego cannon to lets say 18pounder   we will get a problem when comparing mocs or lego sets  . if a rowboat (Harbour sentry) carry a 18pounder  and the broadside of BSB is two 18 pounders it will then say that three roboats outgun one of the biggest ships..  
But, i too think that if we look at the lego gun it must be a BIG one.  18 or 24 pounder.   would say more of a 24 pounder.  
Posted Image

This is a 12pounder and it look to small for the lego cannon.    so at lease 18 pounder  but my guess is 24 pounder. and the height of a bullet( round brick 1x1) in LDRAW is 24 so why not a 24 pounder  ;-)

#10 Phred

Phred
  • Kinda back

Member: 1037

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:47 PM

I've asked a similar question in the past and i came to my own conclusion. X-D

Here's the related thread:
Caliber of Lego Canons

and here's a quote as to what my conclusion is:

View Postphred, on Apr 19 2007, 07:56 AM, said:

We now consider
Posted Image to be 1-4 pound swivel,
Posted Image to be a 9-12 pounder,
Posted Image to be a 18-24 pounder,
Posted Image to be a 32-36 pounder,

I figure the lego cannons should cover a small range of calibers since there is a limited brick sizes availible for making cannons.
in general the standard sizes for long guns seem to include
4,9,12,18 (main long gun on British frigates),24 (US mainly),32(British i think), and 36 lb (French i'm sure).

Also, if you'd like this thread to be a poll, let us know (by PM or a post) what you'd like your poll options to be.
I suggest 9, 12, 18, 24, 32, or 36 lb for options. X-D

Edited by phred, 31 January 2008 - 07:53 PM.

Pirates don't hunt for treasure.  They bury it- I mean we bury it.  - Captain Kirk

Posted Image

#11 Athos

Athos
  • Sloppiness Seeker

Member: 84

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:52 PM

I'd guess they couldn't weigh more than a couple of ounces... :-P

Steve

#12 zouave

zouave

Member: 1518

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:47 AM

I guess the best way to tell would be to have somebody find pics of the different cannons with a person standing next to it to get a sense of scale.

#13 Phred

Phred
  • Kinda back

Member: 1037

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:12 PM

View Postcaptian flint lock, on Jan 30 2008, 03:56 PM, said:

yea 18 pounders for sure
yea 18 pounders for sure
Why are you laughing about this? *wacko*

View PostTordenskjold, on Jan 30 2008, 05:36 PM, said:

36-pound, 24-pound and 12-pound calibres  was the standarized guns of the french fleet.
RN used 42-pounders, 32-pounders, 24-pounders, 18-pounders, 12-pounders, 9-pounders, 8-pounders, 6-pounders and several other small guns.  
Yeah, this makes sense.
I don't know about this, but did the french have 18 pounders for their frigates?
That's would have been scary if they were all 12 pounders against British 18's :'-(

P

Pirates don't hunt for treasure.  They bury it- I mean we bury it.  - Captain Kirk

Posted Image

#14 Captain Ka-Boom

Captain Ka-Boom

Member: 1946

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:45 PM

Remember cannons are judged by there ammo's weight. There ammo is a 1 x 1 x??? cylinder. 36 pounders shot something the size of a coconut in my book. Last time i checked coconuts do not have a 1ft diameter. It wouldn't be any lower than 36 pounds so i am saying between 36-48 maybe more like a 68 carronade. I wonder how they held the carronade shots. Not a powder monkeys ob.

BTW a 12 pounder isnt that much smaller than a 36 pounder. In overall size of the cannon they aren't 1/3 the size.

All this info is coming from a cross-section of the HMS Victory.

I want to get my point across this cannons barrel diameter is huge it should be a mortar.

24 pounders shot a ball size of a grape fruit.

Measly 12's shot something the size of an orange.

Edited by Captain Ka-Boom, 01 February 2008 - 11:51 PM.

#15 Mile85

Mile85

Member: 1076

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:38 PM

Hmmm.. I've never even thought of that before. How big are they?

I'm kind of an expert in this area but in modern artillery only... but if we think that round 1x1 lego brick as a round shot... it's in my opinion 32 to 36 bounder. For example, if round shot is 16cm in diameter and it's iron of course :-D  and iron weighs about 7kg/15,5lb / dm3. If I calculate that...that shot weighs about 15kg/32lb

And please correct me if I calculated wrong, but I don't think so..

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links