• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Brainbox

Brainbox

• A real Joe 90

Member: 1092

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:43 PM

Posted Image B-RV-9A

Okay, so like I just said, this is my entry for the Neighbourhood Contest, and while all the pictures are present in the BS gallery, there isn't really enough explantation for some all the stuff in ther, especially some of the 'hidden' items.

So, here we go. There are likely to be quite a few pictures (and links) here on in, so be warned  :-D .

Posted Image

The house from the front (obviously). It's quite big actually, bigger than it perhaps looks here.

Posted Image

Back view. Here you can clearly see all the rooms bar the hall (not much to see there though) and the bedroom, which is behind the bathroom.

Also, from the side to give a sense of depth: 1 and 2

Brainbox will give the tour

In we go, throught the front door: 1 and 2. Notice the step detail, which took a surprisingly long to do, seeing as how I couldn't figure out how best to do them. Pay attention to the Viking shield on the wall, we'll come back to that later. There's also a bin under the steps.

Posted Image

Directly through the front door is the hall, strictly utilitarian and rather small and plain. The upstairs has been removed here, btw.

Posted Image

The entire downstairs, with the hall, dining room and kitchen, along with that mysterious hidden area...

Posted Image

Both of the two downstairs rooms are removable, and to do so this piece has to be removed. It holds the two rooms together, and fills out the entrance. That, and every AFOL needs to have their hand in a photograph ometime, so here's my contribution  :-D .

Kitchen

Okay, this I'm particularly pleased with. Brainbox won't be going in here though, as there are no studs on the floor  ;-) . Anyway, the kitchen:

Posted Image

Complete with fridge/freezer, sink, cupboards, hob, oven (sort of) and notice board.

Posted Image

Sink are, complete with draining board. The hob can also be seen. I quite like the choice of tile for the hob, actually.

Fridge/freezer: 1 and 2

Posted Image

And the notice board. I tried to pack as many little details in as I could, as that's what I like to see in larger MOCs. This is just one, and I think it worked out pretty well. It's emptier than mine though.

Dining Room

Posted Image

No the dining room doesn't bend, that's just the angle of the photograph. Those dark grey studs also shouldn't be there. They should instead be on the underside of the living room (on the floor above), but never mind.

Posted Image

A shot through the doorway. The table is quite clear here. Other details include the phone and flowers (directly under the phone  *wacko* ) and the lights.

For some reason, Brainbox didn't come into this room either.

Hmm, I think Brainbox needs some help here. It's a rather big house and it's taken quite some time to show just two rooms. After a quick phone call...

*knock knock*

Posted Image

I wonder who that is?

Posted Image

Oh, it's my friend Kelsey (who I now realise was a stupid choice seeing as how you don't know her. Yes, I could've used someone from EB, but I didn't think of that).

Rigth then, lets go and look upstairs:

Posted Image

Upstairs overview:

Posted Image

All the rooms are relatively easy to remove for playability, etc.

Living Room

Posted Image

With a sofa, a TV, a plant and a (very) small table, the living room is fairly simple, but I quite like it. Yes, the plant and the TV are quite unsafe in their positioning next to the stairs, but who cares? This is Lego, right.

Posted Image

I quite like my sofa, and look, my legs blend into the cushions  ;-) . And here's a pic of the sofa empty, along with the TV (I wanted to build it in grey, but I couldn't find any  :-|   *wacko* ) and the plant.

The Bedroom

Right then, moving across the upstairs floor, we have the two other main rooms, the first of which is the bedroom. So let's show Kelsey the bedroom (stop sniggering, that's not what I meant).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Only really big enough for one person at a time (standing, that is), but there's still enough room for a bed, a clock and a table. The bed is actually nicely accurate, as my bedcovers are blue-patterend in real life.

A shot through the window shows the clock on the wall (oh look, the camera's reflected in the window, another staple of AFOL photography):

Posted Image

While a shot through the doorway is just quite cool:

Posted Image

Bathroom

Posted Image

The bathroom door actually opens and closes.

Posted Image

There's a sink, a toilet and a shower area. I think this is probably the weakest room as far as content is concerned.

The Loft

Now, in the birds-eye-view of the bedroom, you may have noticed a grey pole-thing stood up in the corner. If not, have a look. So, what's that for?

Posted Image

It's for the loft trap door. This is also where my photography goes a bit downhill as it was a bit darker due to the roof being on.

Posted Image

Removing the grey pin allows the trpa door to swing open. The ladder then slides out. I didn't notice till I was taking the photos, but the TV stops the door swinging open enough to allow for the ladder to pull out and down. Never mind.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the loft. The top of the roof actually comes off, again to allow for greater playability:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Viking shield, breathing apparatus (no mask or helmet though, which I forgot), katana, binoculars...

Posted Image

... knife, lightsaber (blue, of course), revolver (not sure why) and batarang.

The jetpack seen earlier: 1, 2 and 3.

Posted Image

But what were these instruments for?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

OR

Posted Image

Okay then, that's it, the end of the-- no, wait, we've forgotten something. Something deep in the bowels of the house (use your imagination), hidden from view, containing all the secrets that are me...

Back downstairs we go...

...and into the hall.

Remember that Viking shield? Well, turn it. This doesn't actually work mind, it's merely for show.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hmm, a hidden lift...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My hand again...

Posted Image

Posted Image

The single stud here serves to keep the lift in place at the top of the shaft.

Posted Image

The Lair

Yes, okay, I forgot to take an overall picture of the lair, but it can be seen on a later picture reasonably well.

Posted Image

Compass, map of Lego City/EB Neighbourhood, experiment board-thing and a slideways teleporter (a la Justice League) allowing travel to the Batbrick Cave, and several other strategic points around the neighbourhood.

Posted Image

Posted Image

On the other side of the lair is my desk (with Lego) and a lamp:

Posted Image

Next to that is a small table:

Posted Image

Interesting package, I wonder where it came from...  ;-)

Behind Kelsey is a strange container:

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's Kryptonite!

Posted Image

There's also a bookcase, and all the books are interesting printed or stickered tiles, like this DNA one. The bookcase is under the hallway, which isn't supposed to be removable, but can be taken off anyway if necessary.

Posted Image

Teleporter power unit, and lair control system, including the lift and the teleporter.

Posted Image

Okay, that's it. Thanks to our participants, Brainbox and Kelsey (who doesn't yet know about this  :-$ ).

Thanks for looking, and hopefully lots of you will vote in the competition. There are loads of really good entries there, so it should be a close competition.

Comments, questions and constructive criticisms welcome.

Oh, and don't forget to check out the BS Gallery for more pictures. Notice though, that there are 3 pages.
Yep, I'm back! Be afraid...

My Brickshelf Gallery

#2 FreeBee

FreeBee

Member: 1663

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:16 PM

Nice house with a lot of details. Well done.

Only one thing i don't get. Why is the toilet behind the shower.
That way you get wet feet when using the toilet.  :-$
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:37 PM

Very nice with a beautiful interior, and the secret lift and lairīre simply fantastic!  *y*

#4 Lord Of Pies

Lord Of Pies

• Official Pirate Set Reviewer, who's back into pirates!

Member: 2085

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

Their goes ANY chance of me winning the competition! :-D

I really love your house, their are so many details in a small space and yet non of it looks crowded at all! I really like the secret lift, teleporter bedroom and especially the kitchen the sink is perfect... *wub*

Great job, Brainbox!

Edited by Lord Of Pies, 29 January 2008 - 08:54 PM.

Are you hasty for a tasty pastry?

#5 Batbrick

Batbrick

• I'm back ...with a banana

Member: 1917

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:02 PM

Wow! I may well have to vote for this! Its beautiful. So many great details and features packed into this gorgeous house. The overall look of it is great, with the grey and white colour scheme working surprisingly well. The garbage can under the stairs is a nice touch too. The kitchen is excellent, though I can see you've slipped over the studless floor in that pic  :-D . The notice board is something that just makes the whole room so much better (though I'm scared to ask how you managed to get a pic of that dinosaur). The whole kitchen just looks great.

The dining room is also nice, not as nice as the kitchen, but little details like the phone on the wall, flowers (under the phone of all places  *wacko* ), lights and drinks elevate it.  

The living room is well made too, especially the way it fits onto the bottom floor. The TV is great, and i love the way you've made that sofa, I may have to steal that design  X-D . Once agin your eye for details totally improves it, with the plant, light and drink adding a good, homely feel to it.

You've done a good job with the bedroom too, I thing the bed takes up too much room, but you've done well with the limited space you have. I like the addition of the clock, and pole-thing.

The bathroom, as you say, is probably the weakest room. It could benefit from more details maybe, like some wall details seeing as it looks a bit plain. Also, I love the choice of printed peice for the toilet, it looks like it will eat you if you sit on it  :-D

Now for the loft, a great idea too. The entrance is very smart and well-concealed, and the fact that the roof opens up is brilliant, if a little wacky. I think the construction in here is not as good as the rest though, the part the katana sits in seems a bit thrown together. Maybe I'm just jealous I don't have a jetpack though. And of course the great items like the batarang, which you no doubt stole from me. The actual roof itself is a very nice construction, you've given it great playability.

And now lastly, the LAIR!   I love the entrance, just plain fantastic. Sure the shield turning makes no difference, but I'm all for theatricality. The lift is excellent too. I love all the details in your lair, I knew you wouldn't resist putting in something like this!  :-D     The Justice league transporter made me laugh, and that Batbrick Cave reference, I thought that was you, so thats how you took that batarang  :-D
That experiment board is creepy, and i like that you've included a map. The best bit though? What else but:
Kryponite!

Overall this is one of my favourites, if not my absolute favourite, of the entries. You've certainly sent my Batbrick Cave into the abyss, and the perfect combination of detail, playability and construction is amazing to say the very least.
Brilliant work, this is a great competition.

Batbrick Something!  *wacko*
And see and comment on KDog's hilarious Space Comic here:
Posted Image
Click on pic to see and comment now!  And please add this ad to your sig so more people can see this fantastic work!

Batbrick Away!

#6 diablorouge

diablorouge

Member: 2306

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:20 AM

Dude! that is briliant. I love the detail.

From the outside it looks crisp and modern and on the inside you have packed in so many features - it is just like a real house. Well done. *y*

#7 maiq the liar

maiq the liar

• Youtube poopie!

Member: 1321

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:01 AM

Brilliant! Simple but detailed at the same time! and it even inspired me to build a house, which uses a similar exterior design if you don't mind. (even if the house's walls are a mess of grey, red, tan and white because i'm improving it as i go...And it has my first dabble into SNOTing in the main hall and kitchen floor)

Edited by maiq the liar, 31 January 2008 - 12:01 AM.

Are my dark ages over yet?
God, finally.

#8 Brainbox

Brainbox

• A real Joe 90

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:53 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling a bit tired today, so you've really cheered me up.

View PostFreeBee, on Jan 29 2008, 08:16 PM, said:

Only one thing i don't get. Why is the toilet behind the shower.
That way you get wet feet when using the toilet.  :-$
Yeah, well, I couldn't get it in otherwise. I'd rather it was arranged better as well, but this was the best way I had of getting the necessaries in.

8-°  My, Batbrick, what an in-depth analysis!

View PostBatbrick, on Jan 29 2008, 10:02 PM, said:

The kitchen is excellent, though I can see you've slipped over the studless floor in that pic  :-D .
:-D  I missed that one! For some reason, I just didn't notice  *wacko* .

The dining room is also nice, not as nice as the kitchen, but little details like the phone on the wall, flowers (under the phone of all places  *wacko* ), lights and drinks elevate it.
I was at a bit of a loose end with the dining room. It was the last room I filled, and it was only then that I realised it was a lot smaller than I thought. Honestly, I think it took me about an hour on-and-off to come up with a table and chair design that looked good and fitted in the available space.

The TV is great, and i love the way you've made that sofa, I may have to steal that design  X-D .
I was trying to get something that felt right for the height of a minifig, rather than have something 'normal' sofa height, and allow it to dwarf a minifig.

The bathroom, as you say, is probably the weakest room. It could benefit from more details maybe, like some wall details seeing as it looks a bit plain.
The bedroom took up too much room to allow me to do much with it, really, which is a pity. Still, at least it's there. Speaking of the bedroom, with regards the bed, maybe it is a little big (certainly a little tall), but I quite like the design nonetheless.

I think the construction in here is not as good as the rest though, the part the katana sits in seems a bit thrown together.
Perhaps, but at least I got it in! And at least it's tidier than my real loft  ;-) .

I love all the details in your lair, I knew you wouldn't resist putting in something like this!  :-D
Oh, you know me so well  ;-) .

The Justice league transporter made me laugh, and that Batbrick Cave reference, I thought that was you, so thats how you took that batarang  :-D
X-D

The best bit though? What else but: Kryponite!
Oh, of course.

View Postmaiq the liar, on Jan 31 2008, 12:01 AM, said:

and it even inspired me to build a house, which uses a similar exterior design if you don't mind.
Not at all, I'm just happy to have been an inspiration  :-$ .

My Brickshelf Gallery

#9 xzanfr

xzanfr

Member: 2272

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:36 PM

Thats great, Brainbox... your attention to detail is only surpassed by your comedy comments!!! (apparently people work full time as hand models, ever thought of a career change, if you're not already one!!)
I love the loft ladder and the hook device, as well as the notice board. Perhaps you could use a life ring / bog seat for the toilet (as featured in this years advent calendar, if you have it).
I'm looking forward to voting on these as they're all looking really good.
Posted Image

#10 Brainbox

Brainbox

• A real Joe 90

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:41 PM

View Postxzanfr, on Jan 31 2008, 09:36 PM, said:

Thats great, Brainbox... your attention to detail is only surpassed by your comedy comments!!!
Why thank you. It's always nice to be complimented on my comedic ability.

(apparently people work full time as hand models, ever thought of a career change, if you're not already one!!)
Hmm...  :-D

Perhaps you could use a life ring / bog seat for the toilet (as featured in this years advent calendar, if you have it).
Oh, of course. I didn't think of that. It's only the design TLC used once, and everyone else copied  :-| . Thanks for reminding me of it.

My Brickshelf Gallery

#11 Batbrick

Batbrick

• I'm back ...with a banana

Member: 1917

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:23 AM

View PostBrainbox, on Feb 1 2008, 07:53 AM, said:

8-°  My, Batbrick, what an in-depth analysis!
Yes, I did get a bit carried away there, but it an excellent house, so it was worth it.

:-D  I missed that one! For some reason, I just didn't notice  *wacko* .
Maybe because you were unconscious at the time?  X-D

I was at a bit of a loose end with the dining room. It was the last room I filled, and it was only then that I realised it was a lot smaller than I thought. Honestly, I think it took me about an hour on-and-off to come up with a table and chair design that looked good and fitted in the available space.
I noticed that, I though you did well to manage those chairs and table in. Details like that, especially ones worked over for so long, definitely pay off.

I was trying to get something that felt right for the height of a minifig, rather than have something 'normal' sofa height, and allow it to dwarf a minifig.
The snot design helps too, so minifigs can be positioned without constraints.

The bedroom took up too much room to allow me to do much with it, really, which is a pity. Still, at least it's there. Speaking of the bedroom, with regards the bed, maybe it is a little big (certainly a little tall), but I quite like the design nonetheless.
It is a good design, I have seen a good, smaller version once that I liked.  If you ever wanted to add details to the bathroom, you could always use those 1x1 peices with a stud on its side, maybe to add some art or appliance to the wall.  

Perhaps, but at least I got it in! And at least it's tidier than my real loft  ;-) .
Oh, not saying it isn't great, the loft is very good. Though I can't say I want to see your real one  8-|

Oh, you know me so well  ;-) .
You must be falling into a rut  ;-)

View PostBrainbox, on Feb 1 2008, 08:41 AM, said:

Why thank you. It's always nice to be complimented on my comedic ability.
Puns are comedic nowadays?  When did this happen?  X-D

Batbrick Away!  >:-)
And see and comment on KDog's hilarious Space Comic here:
Posted Image
Click on pic to see and comment now!  And please add this ad to your sig so more people can see this fantastic work!

Batbrick Away!

#12 Brainbox

Brainbox

• A real Joe 90

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:49 PM

View PostBatbrick, on Feb 1 2008, 07:23 AM, said:

The snot design helps too, so minifigs can be positioned without constraints.
I think a minifig can lie on it as well, but I forgot to photograph (and indeed check properly) that.

If you ever wanted to add details to the bathroom, you could always use those 1x1 peices with a stud on its side, maybe to add some art or appliance to the wall.
Yeah perhaps, but I'd have to mirror anything in the bedroom as well, seeing as how they use the same wall.

Though I can't say I want to see your real one  8-|
I don't want to see my real loft!

Puns are comedic nowadays?  When did this happen?  X-D
:'-(  Oh you are cruel.

My Brickshelf Gallery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users