EB News Presents: LuxorV

26 replies to this topic

#1 Shadows

Shadows

• Awesome, brilliant, not redundant.

Member: 1558

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:58 AM

Welcome to the January 14th, 2008 episode of EB News Presents! This evening it's going to be a little quiet around here, as Staudie seems to have gotten lost on the way to the studio and I'm going to be asking all of the questions. :-|

Tonight we're pleased to be able to bring you LuxorV, who I was lucky enough to first meet in the *cough*wildly popular*cough* Hitchhiker's Guide to the Vignette contest I hosted a while back.

Thank you for joining us!

Thanks for your interest. I'm really happy to answer your questions.
Then let's get started!

Q. How did you choose your username?
A. Its kind of a long story. When youre just a kid watching TV, you tend to believe what you see and hear. I used to watch Saint Seiya (I Cavalieri dello Zodiaco, in Italy) and, since I love wolves, I decided to use the name of the Asgard knight Luxor. It was also supposed to be the name of one of the stars of the Ursa Major. As you can see, it is not true
Posted Image
What a delusion :'-( !
So I turned to Egyptian mythology, which I love too. As you can see in my sign, I now base my name on the Luxor Temple.
Still, I keep the original reference to the wolf knight in the logo I put in my pics.
As for the final V, I added it because when I first signed in LEGO Club the name Luxor had already been taken :-P .

Q. How did you choose your sigfig?
A. I think I explained it quite fully in this tread by Iamded ;-) .

Q. Where are you from, how old are you, all that kind of stuff.
A. Im from Italy, precisely from a small town near the Como Lake. Im 26, Im a PhD student in Paleontology, and I love my work and the fact I can see beautiful places while searching for fossils (Ive been in the Dolomites, Switzerland and in Iran for my Graduation Thesis, and I now work in Sicily).

Q. Any interesting projects in the works?
A. I get it you refer to LEGO projects, right? Who could be interested in paleontological projects :-| !
Well, Im working on the third chapter of my story. And I think the plot is coming out quite good :-$ .

Q. Show us your LEGO room/house/big white stalker van?
A. I dont really have a LEGO room. Its just my room.
Here you have a pic of the LEGO container my father and one of my grand-uncles built when I was about 2 years old. It sill contains almost all of my LEGO pieces.
Posted Image
Btw, as you can see, I was building the WereWolf, at the time I took this photograph.

Q. First LEGO set ever?
A. 396: Thatcher Perkins Locomotive (1976). My father bought it for me when I was 6 months, I think 8-| .
Posted Image

Q. Did you ever have a dark ages? If so, how did you escape? If not, how did you avoid it?
A. Yes, I had. It was about 5 years, from 1997 to 2002. I came out of it because of LEGO StarWars, quite like a lot of other people here. Thanks for creating them, TLC.
On a side note, I think I was one of the first, in the West, to see what later became the base of this line. It was the work of a Japanese LEGO and StarWars fan. I saw it on the LEGO Magazine in 1996, when I was on a study-holiday at Sandhurst, and a friend of my hosts came to visit them. I later discovered he worked for TLC. Wow 8- !

Q. How did you find EB?
A. I was looking for contests, to kill some time. I signed up for the Haunted Mansion contest, and then I found this is the kind of place you cannot quit that easily. As you can see, Im still here!

Q. Your favourite 3 sets?
A. Ill keep to the ones I own (theres so full of great sets I missed or couldnt buy |-/ )
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
1 - 8479: Barcode Multi-Set
2 - 7712: Supernova
3 - 6066: Camouflaged Outpost
Theyre not neceassrily in preference order. 8479 was my first automated set (having I missed the fatastic 8094: Control Centre for lack of money); 7712 was my fav Exo-Force Battle Machine from the first line, and I had to search a lot to get one, since I discovered too late that it was not sold in Italy other than by S@H (and by then they had it sold out); 6066 is the first great real playset I can remember playing with, and it had so many minifigs in it!

I still *wub* 6066. I need to rebuild mine!

Q. If you could design any set, what would it be?
A. This is a hard question. Im probably supposed to say a Special Mech. But Id prefer to design a great playset, like a training camp or playground, with lots of minifigs and playable devices, like a small labyrinth, a sand pit, a tree house, ...

Q. Taking it a step further. Any theme you'd like LEGO to introduce?
A. This is an even harder question. Obviously, Id like to see a Halo theme, as I said in one of my first topics (What about LEGO Halo). But, letting apart licences, and not wanting to enter the great Pirates or Romans debate, Id say a Navy or Air Forces based theme would be great, with vehicles as detailed as those of the Nazi soldiers in the Indiana Jones line.

Q. Favourite EB moment?
A. When a certain hammer-armed Admin gave me a title. I was so happy, because I knew it didnt come from a contest (which was quite common in the last months), but it was given because of my daily contributions to this forum. Thanks again, Master of the Fabulands :'-) .
I believe I know of whom you speak, just vaguely. Aw, who am I kidding, everyone knows Hurkley. Hunkley. Hecklery. Hinckerery. Stinckley! Phinckley! Dinckley! Binckley! Oh, old what's-his-name! :-P

Q. Is Staudie annoying?
A. Of course he is. [Where do I withdraw my bribe, now? X-D ]
Shhh... *passes over an envelope*

Q. Who should we interview next?
A. I think Mr.Mandalorian would be a great choice.

There you have it folks, a look into the life of LuxorV! Thank you so much for joining us, it's been fascinating!
Thanks for having me on. You know, I've always loved this show and ...

*door crashes open and a crazed Staudie runs in*

OK! WHO HAD MY TANK TOWED??? I almost didn't make it here ... hey, you did the show without me? >:-(
Did we? Oh, I didn't notice. Did you?
Nope.
Maybe someone won't park next to a fire hydrant next time.
I didn't even notice the hydrant. Hey, how do you know about that? 8-|

Looks like we're out of time! Thanks again for joining us!
Until next week, I'm your host, imperialshadows! I'm not sure who I'll be after that. X-D

(ok, seriously, people use that phrase, and I always wonder who they'll be next time 8-| )

*signal fades*

Shadows is looking for stalkers. Yep, you heard me right. CLICKY!

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

#2 Batbrick

Batbrick

• I'm back ...with a banana

Member: 1917

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:37 AM

Another great interview with another great member!  *y*
Thankyou imperialshadows and stauder for these, I can't wait for the next one!

Oh, yeah, it was cool to hear about LuxorV too  :-P  X-D

Batbrick is Back!  >:-)
And see and comment on KDog's hilarious Space Comic here:
Posted Image
Click on pic to see and comment now!  And please add this ad to your sig so more people can see this fantastic work!

Batbrick Away!

#3 iamded

iamded

• Cannot neigh to save his life.

Member: 1225

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:19 AM

Great interview, thanks imperialshadows and LuxorV! Uh, and Staudie! X-D I never know you were a PhD student in Paleontology. 8- You learn something new every day! :-D
~Peace

Check out Eurobricks' RPG, Mafia and Wargames forum for the best fun.

#4 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Member: 1771

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:04 PM

I must be one of these: very good at answering, or very boring. You just commented three of my answers! ;-)

Anyway, thanks for interviewing me, imperialshadows. And thanks to Stauder, too; even if he was busy somewhere else ;-)

Keep up the good work, guys (maybe together, next time :-P )! *y*

I never know you were a PhD student in Paleontology
Oh, there are worst destinies, after all, iamded. X-D

LuxorV

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Looking for new decals or help customising your LEGO elements? Check the Minifig Customisation Index!

My Brickshelf --- My Flickr

#5 Shadows

Shadows

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:24 PM

View PostLuxorV, on Jan 14 2008, 08:04 AM, said:

I must be one of these: very good at answering, or very boring. You just commented three of my answers! ;-)
You answered very well, well enough to leave me with no particularly heckly things to say (lack of Staudie being responsible for a lot of that also :-P ).

You obviously took the time to carefully think out what you wanted to say and then said it clearly and completely. It's greatly appreciated! *y*

You wouldn't happen to need a job as a reporter when that whole paleontology thing falls through, would you? X-D

I kid, I kid. :-D

I'd really only need you part time... ;-)

#6 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:31 PM

View Postimperialshadows, on Jan 14 2008, 02:24 PM, said:

You answered very well, well enough to leave me with no particularly heckly things to say (lack of Staudie being responsible for a lot of that also :-P ).

You obviously took the time to carefully think out what you wanted to say and then said it clearly and completely. It's greatly appreciated! *y*

You wouldn't happen to need a job as a reporter when that whole paleontology thing falls through, would you? X-D

I kid, I kid. :-D

I'd really only need you part time... ;-)
I'll need to check my planner. You know, there's a growing interest in paleontology by Hollywood actors [saw a report on that last week on MTV ;-) ].

How much do you offer me? 'Cause I was already contacted by .... and .... [third party lawyers don't let me tell the names *sad* ].

X-D  ;-)

LuxorV

Looking for new decals or help customising your LEGO elements? Check the Minifig Customisation Index!

#7 Shadows

Shadows

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:41 PM

View PostLuxorV, on Jan 14 2008, 08:31 AM, said:

How much do you offer me? 'Cause I was already contacted by .... and .... [third party lawyers don't let me tell the names *sad* ].
Bus fare AND all you can eat in the employee lounge, except for seafood.

That's nearly double what Staudie gets, so it's a pretty generous offer.
Oh, heck, we'll throw in your own dressing closet room. X-D <--- (my official used car salesman face) It's such a deal! ;-)

#8 ExoBuilder

ExoBuilder

• Come mister tally man, tally me sales!

Member: 1463

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:55 AM

Another great review! It's nice to know about LuxorV more! I found this one very funny! :-D

*y*  *y*

*sweet*

#9 Corvus

Corvus

• ¡ʎpuɐɯ ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ

Member: 1483

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:17 AM

View Postimperialshadows, on Jan 13 2008, 09:58 PM, said:

Tonight we're pleased to be able to bring you LuxorV, who I was lucky enough to first meet in the *cough*wildly popular*cough* Hitchhiker's Guide to the Vignette contest I hosted a while back.

Even if it was my idea.. But I was busy, so I couldn't even make a vig. :-|  :'-(  Really. Really really. That said, you did do a great job running it. *y*

View Postimperialshadows, on Jan 13 2008, 09:58 PM, said:

Q. Who should we interview next?
A. [color="#006600"]I think Mr.Mandalorian would be a great choice.

*signal fades*

Hey, thanks! That'd be great! Thanks Luxor!

Will
True happiness: looking inside the box to see a perfectly flat instruction manual.

Posted Image

#10 Shadows

Shadows

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:53 AM

View PostMr. Mandalorian, on Jan 14 2008, 10:17 PM, said:

Even if it was my idea.. But I was busy, so I couldn't even make a vig. :-|  :'-(  Really. Really really. That said, you did do a great job running it. *y*
Hey, thanks! That'd be great! Thanks Luxor!
Will
Yes, it really was your idea Mandy Lori Ann! Been too long since I've gotten to call you by your favourite nickname there. :-D

Oh, and I'm still waiting for you to finish your entry so we can finally wrap up the contest! 8-|  :-P

#11 Norro

Norro

• Writer & Director and Old Grey fetishist

Member: 315

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:02 PM

View Postimperialshadows, on Jan 14 2008, 04:58 AM, said:

1 - 8479: Barcode Multi-Set
2 - 7712: Supernova
3 - 6066: Camouflaged Outpost
Theyre not neceassrily in preference order.

Of course not... 6066 is the greatest set of all time...  X-D

:-$

God Bless,

Nathan
Posted Image

#12 Stauder

Stauder

• Beware, he's back!

Member: 1134

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:36 PM

Darn you shadows! Now I have to go with my other tank... The one from the 60's...
Posted Image

(Image Me.)

Great interview tough, but I disliked it because I wasn't in it... Like'd the firehydrant joke tough!  X-D  *y*

Staydewr  :-P

(Typo is on purpose)

Edited by Stauder, 15 January 2008 - 08:43 PM.

Posted Image
The above is a paid advertisement by EuroBricks News FLC (Fake LEGO Company). Eurobricks News FLC is 45% Stauder™ (The Annoying Parts), 25% ImperialShadows™ (The Funny Parts), 10% Whitefang™ (The Reviewsy Parts), 7% Zepher™ (The Female Parts... er...) and 7% Stash2Sixx™ (The Photographic Parts).

The previously stated ingredients of EuroBricks News FLC are a trade secret and if you tell anyone I will stab you. In the eye. With a titanium spork.
EuroBricks News FLC is a Trademark of the EB News Team. © EB News 2006 -THE FUTURE!™

#13 Lord Of Pies

Lord Of Pies

• Official Pirate Set Reviewer, who's back into pirates!

Member: 2085

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:50 PM

Yet another great interview! I find it interesting reading about other members! Keep up the good work. (or else....)

Edited by Lord Of Pies, 15 January 2008 - 08:52 PM.

Are you hasty for a tasty pastry?

#14 Sir Dillon

Sir Dillon

• Longs for the days of Wooden Ducks

Member: 435

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:35 AM

I'm kind of running out of things to say about these, but another nice review. I enjoyed reading it.
"I'm sorry, I don't have the time to build anything that doesn't directly promote me."

#15 Brickmaster

Brickmaster

• Repentent Purple Pie

Member: 172

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:44 AM

View PostSir Dillon, on Jan 16 2008, 04:35 AM, said:

I'm kind of running out of things to say about these, but another nice review. I enjoyed reading it.

My thoughts aswell  :-$

Always a fun read, I appreciate the work you put into these  *y*  Thank you  :-)
Posted Image

I dare you to find someone with an earlier joining date! Jipay! -SIEG

#16 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Member: 1554

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:16 AM

Great interview! I read this when it was done, but I only just got around to commenting on it!  :-D  I do have a question for LuxorV: The 8479 Barcode Multi-Set. I have heard that it is a un-reliable piece of garbage. What do you have to say about that charge? Is yours still working?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!

#17 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:32 PM

View PostSinner, on Jan 24 2008, 12:16 PM, said:

Great interview! I read this when it was done, but I only just got around to commenting on it!  :-D  I do have a question for LuxorV: The 8479 Barcode Multi-Set. I have heard that it is a un-reliable piece of garbage. What do you have to say about that charge? Is yours still working?
I had some problems with the gears the first time I built it, but I fear it was my fault |-/ . The second build came out smooth, and the alternates worked right.

Now, it's been a few years since I last built it, but it always worked *y*

My only complaint is that it can only contol one motor. The old 8485 could control 2, I seem to remember. Not to talk about the new control units. Maybe I should go for one of them 8-|  ;-)

LuxorV

#18 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:41 PM

View PostLuxorV, on Jan 24 2008, 10:32 PM, said:

I had some problems with the gears the first time I built it, but I fear it was my fault |-/ .
I read that the electronics, especially the bar code reader, stop working after about six months. You didn't have that problem?

#19 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:47 PM

No, nothing like that. Mine was still working last time I used it, about 5-6 years after I got the set :-$

LuxorV

#20 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:50 PM

View PostLuxorV, on Jan 24 2008, 10:47 PM, said:

No, nothing like that. Mine was still working last time I used it, about 5-6 years after I got the set :-$
LuxorV
I'll have to try and find one then.  *sweet* Do you have any photos of it?

#21 Chuck

Chuck

Member: 291

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:59 PM

Yet another great interview, IS *sweet* Question: Where and how do said interviews take place?

-Chuck

#22 Stauder

Stauder

• Beware, he's back!

Member: 1134

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:02 PM

View PostChuck, on Jan 24 2008, 05:59 PM, said:

Yet another great interview, IS *sweet* Question: Where and how do said interviews take place?

-Chuck
I do the the interviews, Shadows Edits them and posts them. They work like this, We ask who to interview, find a victim, send him a "Can I?" Interview and If he says yes, I sent him a set of questions, which he asnwers, somtimes there is a follow up, and somtimes tehre is a mini plot (Pics, mini comic, whatever).

Who knows, you might get a message from me soon  ;-)

Stauder
Posted Image
The above is a paid advertisement by EuroBricks News FLC (Fake LEGO Company). Eurobricks News FLC is 45% Stauder™ (The Annoying Parts), 25% ImperialShadows™ (The Funny Parts), 10% Whitefang™ (The Reviewsy Parts), 7% Zepher™ (The Female Parts... er...) and 7% Stash2Sixx™ (The Photographic Parts).

The previously stated ingredients of EuroBricks News FLC are a trade secret and if you tell anyone I will stab you. In the eye. With a titanium spork.
EuroBricks News FLC is a Trademark of the EB News Team. © EB News 2006 -THE FUTURE!™

#23 Chuck

Chuck

Member: 291

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:08 PM

View PostStauder, on Jan 24 2008, 12:02 PM, said:

I do the the interviews, Shadows Edits them and posts them. They work like this, We ask who to interview, find a victim, send him a "Can I?" Interview and If he says yes, I sent him a set of questions, which he asnwers, somtimes there is a follow up, and somtimes tehre is a mini plot (Pics, mini comic, whatever).

Stauder

Sorry Stauder :-$  I'm a little new to reading the interviews, and since IS posts them, I assumed (inccorrectly) that both of you do them as sort of a conference chat on MSN or AIM.

Really X-O  I had better dress in my Friday best! (Shabbat is on friday, although my family doesn't really celebrate it)

-Chuck

#24 Shadows

Shadows

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:32 AM

View PostChuck, on Jan 24 2008, 12:08 PM, said:

Sorry Stauder :-$  I'm a little new to reading the interviews, and since IS posts them, I assumed (inccorrectly) that both of you do them as sort of a conference chat on MSN or AIM.
I don't know if I could handle Staudie live like that... *wacko*

Initially, my intent was just to edit a few of his mistakes out and format the question and answer portion to be clearer. Eventually, I couldn't resist making comments and then added the show format to the beginning and end. Any pics are Staudie's work, I just comment on them.

I actually did this interview completely from approaching LuxorV to asking the questions (though some are Staudie standards) to writing it all up. I think the only one I'd ever done completely alone before was my first one, which was the actual interview of Staudie himself. As I recall, it was decided that it would be silly for him to interview himself, so I offered.

That doesn't really explain why I interviewed myself a few weeks ago, including heckling. X-D

#25 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:34 AM

View PostStauder, on Jan 24 2008, 06:02 PM, said:

Stauder
Well, in this case, as the subtitle suggests, I was interviewed by imperialshadows only. It seems Stauder had some problems getting to work that day 8-|  X-D  ;-)

Sinner: I'm late in answering, sorry. I last built it before I got a digital camera, so no photos :-(  If you need something specific (not the complete model), just tell me and I can try and take some pics :-)

LuxorV

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users