Sign in to follow this  
Dannnohhh

Angst over more blue pins

I havent seen this discussed recently so I'm finally prompted to post and not just read the forum (admission of laziness).

But seeing the new pics and a few inventory lists of the 2008 technic sets brings my question, are these technic pins changing to blue, too??? You've probably figured out I'm referring to Technic Pin Long with friction. Looking closely at pics of the summer sets and the 8296 you see blue pins that are definitely 3L (or 3M), not the aforementioned blue axle pins.

I don't want to restate whats already been longly discussed on the subject, particularly by someone else who feels my angst (Stump, where are you!), but I just gotta vent a little and prompt the question, why blue? Again? Won't we grab blue axle pins instead of blue 3L (or 3M) pins, especially since one side is exactly the same? If length makes the difference between the two blue color standardization changed pins, why wouldnt a black 2L and a black 3L technic pin be okay together?

Unlike the martyr of the black axle pins, this change comes after I've woken up from the dark ages so I have a safety deposit box full of black technic pin long with friction (maybe I need a storage unit instead). Its the future and those whom are still asleep that raises my concern.

Now I feel better. For now at least.

Welcome to EB! Now... take a deep breath. That's better. *y*

I haven't noticed the change at all, but I'm not heavily into technic. Just stock up, and in the meantime, I'm sure someone will come along who agrees with you.

Until then, keep taking deep cleansing breaths. ;-)

Eekgad. It seems your observation is correct, why they would do such a color change, I am unsure of. The changing of some X axels to grey was for easy differentiating between sizes, but as for changing of the pins just seems rediculous.

I might even go as far as to say, it's redonkulous...

Eekgad. It seems your observation is correct, why they would do such a color change, I am unsure of. The changing of some X axels to grey was for easy differentiating between sizes, but as for changing of the pins just seems rediculous.

I might even go as far as to say, it's redonkulous...

And it'd be a different story if it was an additional color (or colors!), but the reasoning for standardized colors suggests it will be blue and only blue. I think they showed up first in the new AT-AT set with PF, so I initially thought yah we get more colors, but seeing all blue 3L pins and no blacks in more 2008 sets is discouraging.

Another point with the AT-AT set: its not just technic thats effected.

And I havent even touched on the looks aspect of blue and only blue. Personally I'd endure searching thru multiple colors, but of course I'm not the target demographic. However it brings up other questions like, why not standardized colors for other small parts like 1x1 plates, etc...

Anyway I look forward to input on this, is it an official change that wasnt mentioned in the discussion last summer, or is it just popping up in a few sets because of a temporary black ABS shortage (I suspect the bad news :-( )

Im not sure myself either, what I noticed in alot of 2007 sets is; the 1x wide friction stopper that goes on X axels come in red in alot of sets. I thought that was the new standardized color of it, but then I get into other 2007 sets and they come in grey; the same goes with some other pins and technic studs. Blue in one 2007 set, grey in another..

*wacko*

Welcome to EB! Now... take a deep breath. That's better. *y*

Thanks! and now after (many) deep breaths I realize I forgot to mention that I do like the 2008 technic sets and will buy at least one of each (not to change to the other thread topic)...I just need to remove some black 3L pins from storage and I'll be happy.

Personally I wish they would make the pins in all the basic colours and prehaps reserve grey for the non-friction pins although the last few set I have bought the non-friction pins have been tan in colour *wacko*

There should be more coloured axles as well?

What do you think about Tan gears as in the new dune buggy

Edited by Ickelpete

Personally I wish they would make the pins in all the basic colours and prehaps reserve grey for the non-friction pins although the last few set I have bought the non-friction pins have been tan in colour *wacko*

What do you think about Tan gears as in the new dune buggy

I totally agree...the Technic Pin Long with stop bush comes in multiple colors, why limit the Technic Pin Long with friction to a standardized color??? (let alone change that standardized color).

More colored axles would be nice too, especially odd lengths (and give us 9L and 11L).

But your Tan gear question gets me back to the thread topic, as thats another standardized color change. I'm mostly neutral so far other then to say tan wouldnt be my first choice. I like the option of black or light bley on some of the gears, for instance its nice to use the black small beveled gear for the HoG steering on top of the Dune Buggy, whereas I'd prefer both of the gears on the back to be light bley because, as shown here on the rearview pic, the tan gear stands out while its tough to see the black one. And I'm not talking just aesthetics. I replaced the small black beveled gears on the inside front and rear of the bulldozer with light bleys because its fun to see those things spin like mad...the black became invisible--which, as stated above, is what I like about the black HoG gear.

Long story short and to echo what you already stated, I'd prefer basic color options.

Long story short and to echo what you already stated, I'd prefer basic color options.

Welcome to Eurobricks! *sweet* I've been waiting for your introduction topic but it seems this could be it now! 8-|

On the subject of pin colours, I am still undecided if I want one colour, many, or a few. I was a bit concerned when all the 2 long axels were red, but black is more common again now. I have grown a bit used to the fixed colours to be honest, but I think blue can be too startling a colour in some MOCs.

GAH! Are you crazy?!? Stop making perfect sense!

L... Lego parts... in a bunch of different colors?

Why... why that might make people want to build with them!

(What is WRONG with Lego? Have they lost all common sense?)