Jim

Important Announcement: Forum Software Upgrade

Hi everybody,

The current version of our board software is outdated and in order to keep up with the latest software updates and support, we need to upgrade our current version.

This is exciting news, since we will be working with a better version of the board software. However, it means there will be things that work differently, and it might take some time getting used to. We are certain that the new version will justify the upgrade.

Current plan is to do the upgrade of the forum on:

Wednesday 21st September

Since this is a new major version, upgrading the board software will take quite some time. We expect the site to be down for 6 to 8 hours. After the upgrade it will take a bit of time to do all the customizations. Also a script will need to run to re-build our forum content and this might take a number of days. However, during this time the forum will be open and available, but some stuff might look a bit weird. Once the forum is upgraded, you will need to log in with your display name instead of your username (for a lot of members these two are the same, however).

Our team of admins have been putting a lot of time in this upgrade, so please be patient when something doesn't work properly. We will most definitely sort things out to provide you with the best possible experience.

Feel free to ask questions and make suggestions, but please maintain a constructive tone in your post. Thanks for your patience and support.

Oh boy.

So this means new forum design? Again? I don't even remember what the first 2 looked like before this one.. I think the frontpage was centered.

I like Brickpicker's forum cause they have likes on posts, something I think we should have here.

Looking forward to it !

I hope it works better on Internet Explorer...

Most likely!

I recommend using a different browser anyway, but that might not be an option.

This is good news. I hope that this will address the spam issue more effectively. I have reported quite a number of spammers and I wonder why they keep on coming.

As a previous owner of forum/online community years ago when I was still doing pro-bono work online, I appreciate this effort to keep the boards updated. Frankly I never thought forums will survive with the rise of social media but I still go back to old school forum community.

All the best and I look forward to the upgraded forum!

Do you know what functions will change or be upgraded, what may be removed, and what may be added with this new forum software?

Im interested in how you do this,

I have a few questions.

How much dedotated wam does it wequire to update the fowum softwear?

im sorry i couldnt help it :tongue:

Will the post timestamp issue be fixed?

I'm not sure which issue you are talking about. Care to elaborate?

Do you know what functions will change or be upgraded, what may be removed, and what may be added with this new forum software?

I don't have a list at hand. Give me some time to provide you some information.

One of the most important things is that our current version is running out of support, which obviously is a situation we're not happy with.

I hope he's talking about where it says the time of the post, because it's always like 5 minutes ahead of my clock and my clock is correct. :look:

I hope he's talking about where it says the time of the post, because it's always like 5 minutes ahead of my clock and my clock is correct. :look:

Ahhh okay. I remember this being discussed in the Admin section. I will look into it.

I like Brickpicker's forum cause they have likes on posts, something I think we should have here.

Oh my, PLEASE no like buttons to posts here! It's the reason I don't go on the Brickset forum. What it does is make people put funny irrelevant posts just to get likes. There's no point in a like button, except maybe to support a MOC (even then, a reply means so much more).

just2cents :grin:

I look forward to the new updates. Hopefully all of the issues we've talked about are fixed.

Prediction....

Tons of 2017 pictures end up leaking on Wednesday. :laugh:

Imagine the mess that would make :grin:

Will this update be including anything with the Licensed Thread? I know that there had been some talks of revamping the format.

Edited by Ashnflash

Will this update be including anything with the Licensed Thread? I know that there had been some talks of revamping the format.

This is an update to the software that runs the board; the organization of the forums and topics that already exist on top of that should be unchanged.

Oh my, PLEASE no like buttons to posts here! It's the reason I don't go on the Brickset forum. What it does is make people put funny irrelevant posts just to get likes. There's no point in a like button, except maybe to support a MOC (even then, a reply means so much more).

just2cents :grin:

I like like buttons, what I hate is when I'm notified of them. I like them because if I agree with what the person said I don't have to reply "I agree" and then just repeat what they said.

The mods already said there won't be like buttons because EB is meant to a discussion site, not a social network

The mods already said there won't be like buttons because EB is meant to a discussion site, not a social network

Saying 'I agree' doesn't make a discussion.

I don't know what version the current EB forum is running and in my knowledge the software being used by EB supports the "like" function out of the box by default so if it is disabled now, I don't think it will be enabled after the upgrade.

Would be great to get the list of new features coming up.

I was thinking that the timezone thing was what he was referring to. You know, how everything is 1 hour in the future since forever.

Question: is there an anticipated time that this will take place? So I know when on Wednesday to not bother trying to use the site.

I was thinking that the timezone thing was what he was referring to. You know, how everything is 1 hour in the future since forever.

Funny that I did not pay attention to the forum time until you pointed it out... and now that I notice it, it bothers me. This server time could be due to server time. If the server time is not correct, then everything else is wrong.

Saying 'I agree' doesn't make a discussion.

I'd rather risk people not expressing agreement because there isn't a 'like' button than have people not write a more detailed comment because there is a 'like' button.

You can change your timezone in your profile settings; I just set mine to the zone an hour behind mine.