Here we have a fine trading vessel (Class 2 Cutter) which swears fealty to Oleon and is a member of the Oleon nationalized trading company. Captained and crewed by a trading outfit from New Oleon, the Singsong specializes in speedy transport of everything from fine Oleander wine (Best on the Brick Seas) and pepper, to purple and blue murex dye from the coast of New Oleon. The crew recently had a falling out with the Carno trading company "Rosencrantz and Gildenstern Dye" and have been working exclusively for Oleon. However, they do have their own symbol, comprised of a lavender circle with white wings, which they've embellished certain barrels with.

29190079445_5982f25a61_z.jpgThe Singsong by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

28902122640_43418d20fb_z.jpgThe Singsong by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

28567932644_8b35377864_z.jpgThe Singsong by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

29190059685_388c245ff2_z.jpgThe Singsong by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

Here we see the captain at the helm and his first mate on the quarterdeck

28902106040_c48d4eb3e8_z.jpgThe Singsong by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

28902091680_27e0419bbe_z.jpgThe Singsong by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

28567875984_99282e1a37_z.jpgThe Singsong by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

From left to right.

Kel-Kun: The ship's craftman. Can do anything from carpentry to rope-making. A jack of all trades, but master of none. Also a fantastic swimmer. Raised on the coast between Pan and New Oleon diving for pearls for the Order of the Faith.

Monsieur Personne: A Member of the Oleon-wide nationalized trading company. Mostly land based, he helps the crew load and unload their stock in the busy port of Breshaun.

Un-Ome: The Ship's cook an midshipman. Well-learned and faithful to the gods. He's also a skilled navigator, when needed.

First mate Gars: A clever trader and honourable gentleman. Well-networked, and always knows the right thing to say. Not to mention, he is a true wine-connoisseur.

Captain Mec: The captain is a fun-loving adventurous soul. He's well-meaning but can occasionally be too relaxed with orders... and the law... He was (probably) a member of the Oleon Navy at some point, but serving the law didn't suit him well. Nonetheless he is a savvy soul, and we'll liked by all for his natural charisma. He's also a talented musician.

Monsieur Gen: A Member of the Oleon-wide nationalized trading company. Mostly land based he helps the crew load and unload their stock in the busy port of Breshaun.

I'd love to hear your critiques and criticisms. I'm really no expert on sails and rigging, and found that to be a lot harder than everything else. I know for a fact I messed up the front sails. Also I wish I knew how best to photograph this thing. :sceptic:

Hull is inspired by the Organic ship hull technique. I originally thought I was basing it off of something specific, but couldn't find it when I tried to. Not entirely satisfied withthe hull shaping. It's something I'll work on in future builds.

Any comments and critiques are more than welcome! :grin: this is my first age of sail boat. It was a learning experience, but I want to learn more. Any wisdom from the more salty of seadogs would be super appreciated

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

The hull is fantastic! :pir-wub:

It's great to see you building sailing ships. :thumbup:

My Resurrection 2F uses the same tile for a figurehead. :pir-grin:

Very Nice vessel with a great colour-scheme and an interesting hull-shape! :thumbup:

Sweet shaping here. Looks very pirate-y! :thumbup: I think a bit more effort to tile the deck more thoroughly would have improved it (right now that jars a bit with the very clean & smooth hull), but your choice of colors works splendidly!

Very good! Your bending technique on the hull is interesting and so is its shape. Colors are very vivid and i like them and the crew is top notch! Keep up the good work!

This looks really promising, sir! While the overall shape is a bit off, the amount of detailing on deck, and the techniques you've used are wonderful, and I am certain you are going places. The quarterdeck and its railing are really nice, and I like the organic shapes. pirate_satisfied.gif

Let me try to give you some (hopefully) useful comments! pirate_laugh_new.gif

As to the hull shape, if imagine looking at it from the top, your current hull is more or less pear-shaped. Rather, it should be shaped like a drop (with the pointy end backwards) with the pointy end cut off. (and sort of stretched out.) I hope this makes sense! pirate_tong.gif

Your stern is a bit flat too - some curvature at the waterline would be fitting. (For more inspiration on hull shapes, check out schematics like these or similar.) If you apply the techniques used here for a more realistic shape, I think you will create something (even more) amazing! pirate_wink.gif

As to the rigging, you are off to a good start, but I would suggest taking a look of a picture of the type of rig you want to recreate. This could be an example. However, in all fairness, apart from a few proportions being slightly off, you are already pretty close to the real thing! I personally prefer to do the standing rigging first (stays and shrouds - the things that do not move, i.e. standing), ensuring it is taut enough to hold up the masts. Afterwards, I do the running rigging (sails, halyards, sheets, etc. - everything that moves). That makes it look natural. (And it can be done with different levels of complexity! pirate_wink.gif )

In your current rigging, I think your bowsprit is quite a bit too long, which throws off the balance of the whole rig. Further, give a thought to what way the different ropes should pull the sails for the rigging to work! pirate_blush.gif

I think that is it for now - all in all - very nice first vessel! I wish her all the best on the Brick Seas!

The hull is fantastic! pirate_wubnew.gif

It's great to see you building sailing ships. thumbup.gif

My Resurrection 2F uses the same tile for a figurehead. pirate_laugh2.gif

Thanks! :grin: Glad you like it! It certainly is a useful technique, one which I hope to perfect in future builds.

Ah, then perhaps it's a symbol for the whole of Oleon's nationalized trade company! :blush: Otherwise, I'd hash it up to convergent art-evolution.

Very Nice vessel with a great colour-scheme and an interesting hull-shape! thumbup.gif

Thank you! I had a lot of purple tiles, so It's good to find a use for them too! :grin:

Sweet shaping here. Looks very pirate-y! thumbup.gif I think a bit more effort to tile the deck more thoroughly would have improved it (right now that jars a bit with the very clean & smooth hull), but your choice of colors works splendidly!

I think you mean "Oleon-y" :wink:

Funny thing is, the studs were entirely intentional on the deck. It would have been easy to simply tile the whole thing, but I thought some studs might look good in certain places. Looking at it now, though, I agree it looks weird. Thanks for the compliment on teh colour-scheme! I've got enough elves sets to know when to use purples and lavenders right! :grin:

Very good! Your bending technique on the hull is interesting and so is its shape. Colors are very vivid and i like them and the crew is top notch! Keep up the good work!

Thanks! Hopefully I'll get the shape better next time. Glad you like the crew! I had fun with their names, as anyone who speaks French might pick-up on! :laugh: Aye aye, sir!

This looks really promising, sir! While the overall shape is a bit off, the amount of detailing on deck, and the techniques you've used are wonderful, and I am certain you are going places. The quarterdeck and its railing are really nice, and I like the organic shapes. :pir-sweet:

Let me try to give you some (hopefully) useful comments! :pir-laugh:

As to the hull shape, if imagine looking at it from the top, your current hull is more or less pear-shaped. Rather, it should be shaped like a drop (with the pointy end backwards) with the pointy end cut off. (and sort of stretched out.) I hope this makes sense! :pir-tongue:

Your stern is a bit flat too - some curvature at the waterline would be fitting. (For more inspiration on hull shapes, check out schematics like theseor similar.) If you apply the techniques used here for a more realistic shape, I think you will create something (even more) amazing! :pir-wink:

As to the rigging, you are off to a good start, but I would suggest taking a look of a picture of the type of rig you want to recreate. This could be an example. However, in all fairness, apart from a few proportions being slightly off, you are already pretty close to the real thing! I personally prefer to do the standing rigging first (stays and shrouds - the things that do not move, i.e. standing), ensuring it is taut enough to hold up the masts. Afterwards, I do the running rigging (sails, halyards, sheets, etc. - everything that moves). That makes it look natural. (And it can be done with different levels of complexity! :pir-wink: )

In your current rigging, I think your bowsprit is quite a bit too long, which throws off the balance of the whole rig. Further, give a thought to what way the different ropes should pull the sails for the rigging to work! :pir-blush:

I think that is it for now - all in all - very nice first vessel! I wish her all the best on the Brick Seas!

Thank you very much for this! This ship was a learning experience and and experiment in many ways. This comment will certainly help me shape my ship in future builds! Thanks a boat-load! You're right about the pear. I think I should have made the two bent hull side panels meet at/near the bow to make a better shape. The spirit is indeed quite long, and I did mess up the sails. Your diagrams show well how I should have rigged it. Thanks! :grin:

The shaping of the hull is great, as is the color scheme!

Thanks! :grin:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Oh what a fantastic curves and shape she has! Also clever use of the Elves pieces! May she sail long and bring good fortunes to you Sir!

Yours truly:

Captain Charles J. Becker

I am not an expert on sailing vessels and the proper designs. Thus, I can skip attempting to analyze that and move right to saying that the technique used on this hull is fabulous! The coloring also turned out very well. I like the placement of the rowboat. It is an often overlooked or skipped part of Lego vessels. Also I enjoyed the crew introductions and look forward to future stories.

Yog !!

The boat is awesome Danny, the hull is just amazing !

The sails seems to be custom made (they are great too)

I like the hint with the crews names pirate_wink.gif

that's a great work, really