Alternate MOC: AT-AT
Posted 07 May 2005 - 12:27 AM
just wanna show you my latest project: An alternate AT-AT design for Darkkazmo's contest at FBTB:
Its made from several SW sets. The whole body is finished, but currently it still lacks of details (greeblies, cockpit interior, guns,...)
I'll show more pics as soon as it's finished!
Posted 07 May 2005 - 01:14 AM
I really like what you did with the legs and the body of this walker. Too bad that we don't have a better viewof the head though.
I cannot wait to see the details there ;)
Continue building like this my friend ;)
Posted 07 May 2005 - 02:28 AM
Head details, I'm not completely satisfied with the head, so I am currently thinking about a redesign... Am not sure though.
Comments and critics as always appreciated!
Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:03 AM
1) what's inside the body?
2) how do these guys get all the way up to the guns and cockpit?
3) i'm surprised that the hinge that attaches the head to the body holds.
4) it seems you're making the same tactical mistake as the AT-AT designers: your extremely vulnarable to fast ground troops. they can easily attack you from your left or right, in other words, you need a gunner on the underside; i don't think you'd survive a coordinated attack on both areas between head and first leg. you need to come up with a mechanism that allows the head to turn left/right
5) what the leg mechanism of the upper arm?
6) why don't you use plates instead of the xwing cockpit? it is supposed to be an armoured vehicle, is it not? you can either use technic plates with holes in them, or build a larger plate with a hole in it. then use the new hinge plates to suggest heavy armoured protection for the windows... in any case, i'd use the AT-AT head design because it's the ideal design, i mean, suppose they're using a fluid to attack the head of your machine. with the AT-AT head, the fluid will almost immediately fall to the ground, your cockpit has so many different angles, it would form puddles...
7) i like the 2nd gunner. i'd probably get seasick if i were in it in the middle of a fight, but it looks cool...
8) your machine needs lights, Apo; suppose it's dark and you're walking on difficult terrain? asking for trouble, that is...
9) it seems to me you need a communications unit as well. suppose this guy is walking on a planet the size of jupiter and needs to contact home base? then wot?
10) i'm afraid i'm going to make your cockpit redesign even more difficult, apo; you need a second man in there. one man to control the entire machine, the other to control the cockpit guns; you can do with some cockpit lights as well... this poor pilot is sitting in the dark... :P
Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:39 PM
Oh, and I have added a automatic gun at the "chest" of the walker, so single troopers or speederbikes beneath the walker and out of the range of the top gunner can be shot now!
(And why should somebody attack me with blancmange or whatever? The gungans? Spidey's web??? *wacko*
Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:24 PM
Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:51 PM
1: Color-scape of this creation is bit "thrown". I don't mind that greys, bleys and stuff like that have been put together, but it could make much better look for this MOC. IMHO, great colorscape <=> stand out of the mass.
2: Greebles? Were are they? I just cant seem to find them.
3: Many of the weapons don't look or feel "Star Wars-ish" which is kinda sad because this is alternate model of AT-AT. Bigger weapons. You know the deal.
4: Your driver's seat is very great. That is major plus from my side
5: Legs do work. Although I don't really like click-hinges, I am very impressed how you made legs. Keep it the good work.
Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:01 PM
Lol, I appreciate this!
There's much truth in your words, but for this special case I decided to go with a more chaotic coloring, because the vehicle isn't used in any friendly Star Trek'ish ambassador thing, it's much more a wild and evil machine to hunt down poor rebels!
Oh and for the grey/bley thing: When the changes were noticed the first time I was really angry. But nowadays I like more and more to build with both shades of grey (in a random placement way), especially for space MOCs it is working just fine! (for me)
That may result from the fact that I haven't uploaded any recent pictures of the vehicle :P
Yeah, I noticed this too. I already changed the weapons at the rear. And probably when I was able to strenghten all the joints I'll be able to put more material to the whole model and make the guns bigger! *twisted*
Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3
The click hinges will be removed later to strengthen the legs. I hope than the whole set will be even more articulable!
Thanks alot for your comments! :)
Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:19 PM
What has been changed?
- The leg part that connects has been changed completely, mostly because I replaced the clicky hinges with technic hinges (from the AT-AT and AT-TE sets) and thats why I had to modifie the whole part. Now the walker finally can stand on its own without of fearing every little movement which led to a crash before.
- The joint that connected the head with the body was changed too. Before it was a simple clicky hinge construction that allowed the head only to move up and down. Now it can also move to the sides so it has a kinda natural movement range. Also the technic hinges give much more stability to it.
The rear of the head has been changed slightly to make the neck joints fit. Nothing special though.
- I added lots of greeblies and other detailing to the hull. The parts I had to use weren't that good for greebling, not many small parts, so the "greeblies" are a bit larger than usually. Nonetheless I hope they give some nice mechanical touch to the vehicle.
- Forgot to add the gun at the bottom, if there is still enough space I'll think about adding a whole gunner place (otherwise an computer controled gun).
- I strengthened the knee joint with a second technic hinge.
That's it ;)
Gallery when moderated:
Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 | Pic 5 | Pic 6 | Pic 7 | Pic 8
This probably isn't the finished version, I'll try to use your input to modifie it. (Oh, snefroe, sorry for the missing headlights, but I removed them because they looked somehow silly. The driver uses IR instead now :P)
Comments as always welcome!!!
Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:29 PM
I like the interior of the cockpit.
Also like how it really looks like a beast-dog!
Good luck in Darkkazmo´s contest!!
Please read the Members Guidelines and check the Tutorials Index
Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:17 PM
G Apo, it looks really fantastic :oD
The amount of details is just astounding !!!! my ships look really crappy compared to your details attention !!!!!!!!!
Please could you make a closer pic of the up gun turret, and the back one - they look way cool !!!!
I have two minor comments if i may: you could add details to:
1) the blueish square behind the head
2) the X3 between the legs
Apart from that nada!!
Once again congrats for such a fantastic Moc !!!!!!!!!
Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:47 PM
ApophisV, on May 9 2005, 12:39 AM, said:
Also, could you make it actually walk?
Posted 25 May 2005 - 10:06 AM
mister_phes, on May 24 2005, 07:47 PM, said:
You mean some kind of articulation? With the stronger joints it finally should be able to be set in different positions, although I haven't tried it yet. (Will do this at the final foto session ;))
Posted 29 May 2005 - 01:08 PM
ApophisV, on May 25 2005, 08:06 PM, said:
Reply to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users