tripletschiee

42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - MODs and Improvements

Ok, guys, who is first to post some impovements?

I don't have the model yet, but I am curious to see other people's ideas!

So, go for it!!!!

:thumbup::wub::grin:

Update (08. June 2016) of the already know topics (listed and rated by Kumbbl):

1. Blakbirds Step-5-MOD (http://www.eurobrick...75#entry2575969): Fixes the probably strongest issue, the way too much friction in the drive train preventing the whole model from working - fixes a mission critical issue
  2. Attikas change-over-catches-fix (http://www.eurobrick...50#entry2579365): Fixes the probably second strongest issue, the double engaging issue which blocks the whole drive train - fixes a mission critical issue and makes gear switching quite 100% reliable
  3. supertechnicmans fix for the infinite gear shifting issue (http://www.eurobrick...25#entry2577440): This issue is not mission critical but annoying
  4. Paul Boratkos fix for the wrong gear sequence (see Jim review in the first posting which explains the solution): This issue is not mission critical but annoying. A sequential gearbox shoud change gears in 1 -> 2 --> 3 --> 4
  5. Didumos69' fix for the missing HOG (http://www.eurobrick...25#entry2581074): the steering wheel inside the cabin is quite unreachable for a male-hand... so this is not really mission critical but at least very annoying. So this fix adds great value to playability and it is well braced and well integrated so it does not pollute the great look of the car
  6. Max supercars fix for the 4R problem (http://www.eurobrick...25#entry2578360): This is not an issue at all but a very unrealistic implementation of a gearbox. This fix makes the whole gearbox way more realistic
  7. Jetros MOD for easy unmounting/remounting the bodywork (http://www.eurobrick...3): Not an issue but enhances the value of the model a lot because only without bodywork all the inner workings can be watched.

Kumbbl: "Until this MOD-state the 42056 results in a very satisfying model. So i would call these 7 MODs the essential MODs which should and could be applied by every owner with more or less zero additional costs."

06.07.2016: And here is the link to the "Ultimate playable version of the Porsche".

15.07.2016: Didumos69 made a nice sum-up in a separate thread.

this will took for some weeks because the porsche will not sold today. even in german lego stores it is not availabe.

quote from a store employee

maybe available in two weeks, a month or later, because there are a design issue

Well... There is this mod from Hispabrick magazine to separate the body from the chassis more easily. It was the first mod I my self thought needed to be done after having read Jim's review.

Se video explaining the mod below.

Result:

20160531_195425.jpg

Thanks to Hispabrick Magazine for this mod!

Hopefully we will soon be seeing mods to the suspension to make it more realistic with ankermann steering and (more) correct angles.

I unfortunately coudn't get it at shop at home. At 01:30 it still was not for sale, and at 06:45 it was sold out... I was annoyed, but seeing the problems with the gearbox I really have second thought on buying it. Let's hope there will be a mod for a 7+R gearboks sometime soon...

-ED-

It's available in UK Lego Stores today. Picked one up this morning.

Shipping boxes state 1st June for display.

Well... There is this mod from Hispabrick magazine to separate the body from the chassis more easily.

Although it is easy and really adds a lot, exactly this should not be a MOD, especially considered the needed material and effort. This had to (must) be a standard feature for the modularity.

Embarassing TLG.

Edited by agrof

It's available in UK Lego Stores today. Picked one up this morning.

Shipping boxes state 1st June for display.

So you were able to get one from a store in a shipping carton? Stratford point blank said that they couldn't supply it like this, company policy. I've already sent a snotty email to Lego about it.

Yep, I saw them unpacking them to put on the shelf and asked if I could save them the effort ������ They were fine with the idea.

Edited by Boulderer

So you were able to get one from a store in a shipping carton? Stratford point blank said that they couldn't supply it like this, company policy. I've already sent a snotty email to Lego about it.

I got one each for my brother and myself from Cardiff, and they said put the one back on the shelf and they brought them out in shipping carton, no attempt to take them out and they had the do not display until 1st June sticker

If I EVER get this set I know I am immediately butting in a Traxxas Titan or Velineon brushless in it... I just have to get over the $300 price tag, I'd rather just part it out since I will scrap almost the whole internals of the car.

If I EVER get this set I know I am immediately butting in a Traxxas Titan or Velineon brushless in it...

Make sure you take a video of the ensuing fire and pile of melted plastic.

Make sure you take a video of the ensuing fire and pile of melted plastic.

Oh I have done this before and barely anything has melted so far (forgot to lube one axle)

I will post a video soon this week :classic:

MOD is a big word at this stage, but in addition to the video showing you how to detach the bodywork from the chassis I also made a short video showing how to get to the offending gears and correct the gear sequence, based on the completed stage 1 (chassis):

Edited by Jetro

Here ist the small modification Blakbird was doing during his build.

He changed some small things on step 5 (!) and said that this was improving his gear changing quality a lot, because it reduces the friction in the gear train significant.

KLICK

He changed some small things on step 5 (!) and said that this was improving his gear changing quality a lot, because it reduces the friction in the gear train significant.

I have some doubts anyway until I can build and try myself. As far as I understand his changes have nothing to do with the gear changing but the reduction of the high total amount of friction which can be done with this little but effective modification. Clean gear changes need smooth sliders where the driving rings can engage easily and the knob wheels to move 90 degrees each time and then stay in position while the shifting pedal is being operated back and forth.

IMHO It´s highly laudable that blakbird tries to "rescue" the Porsche from the scrap yard :cry_happy: (the driver of this car has confused the shifting between R and D)

porsche-911-gt3-rs-accident.jpg

Does putting it in a blender and turning it into orange juice count as a modification?

Of course, because the resulting blood orange juice colour will match the Lava Orange on the box :laugh:

Edited by brunojj1

A couple thoughts, maybe buy the model and resell it on ebay for some scrub to buy at a high price, as it is out of stock. Or take all of the new orange pieces and new parts and keep them. Then sell the rest of the parts on bricklink and build your own Porsche.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

KLICK

To do the Blakbird-fix without adding parts to the set you can switch the 4 half bushes in the handgrip of the luggage bag with the pin joiner in the D+N+R-selecter.

Or even better, if you don't like the yellow half bushes on the paddles you can use the yellow ones for the D+N+R-selecter and the LBG ones from the bag for the paddles.

Bag.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

I bet in due time this makes for very good B and C models. A B-model competition would probably produce excellent models.

I'm sure everyone has 2 LBG Bushes, and if not there's still extra pieces that came with the set.

Of course, I was only trying to lay the puzzle with the pieces that come with the set. The pin joiner suites the bag maybe even better than the half bushes.

Edited by Didumos69

Oh I have done this before and barely anything has melted so far (forgot to lube one axle)

I will post a video soon this week :classic:

I Certainly wish to see this!

I am following this topic, it will be a real treat, hopefully like the Unimog improvements thread, which will probably outlive the human race :grin:

I Certainly wish to see this!

I am following this topic, it will be a real treat, hopefully like the Unimog improvements thread, which will probably outlive the human race :grin:

The video might be delayed (again) because here in Texas where it never rains it is pouring making all the roads all slippery :angry:

Anyway but it can reach 31.3kph with ease :classic: or 19.4mph

The video might be delayed (again) because here in Texas where it never rains it is pouring making all the roads all slippery :angry:

Anyway but it can reach 31.3kph with ease :classic: or 19.4mph

A video of this in the rain, peeling out and drifting? Yes please :grin: :grin:

Also, what motors are you using? I want to do something like this myself,with custom RC motors, but I am not sure which ones I should use.

Edited by TheLegoExpert