Sign in to follow this  
Big Pete

Review: 7623 Indiana Jones - Temple Escape

My 2nd review (what a veteran) ... again, found this set via a shop assistant, in my local TRU (Portsmouth, UK) this evening. Comes in at �44.99, which, is pretty steep, but, you get quite a bit for your money.

Front of the Box :

7623BoxFront.jpg

Back of the Box :

7623BoxBack.jpg

Back of the Box Closeup :

7623BoxBackCloseup.jpg

Contents :

7623BoxContents.jpg

It was a nice surprise to get numbered bags ... not had a large set with numbered bags for quite a while, at least in none of the sets I've bought recently!

Didn't take a close up of the stickers, but I was quite disappointed that the curved pieces had stickers ... if they could print the ATT curved pieces, why not these?

Minifigs :

7623Minifigs.jpg

Oh ... and there's a nice backprint on the Pilot figure :

7623PilotBackprint.jpg

Now, the build was pretty good ... you build the plane first (after the minifigures). Quite an interesting build in a way, becayse for a while you think the back is the front ... and then you realise, heh! Now ... I've not seen the film in a while, but I don't recall a guy flying a plane with a fishing rod ... don't flame me if this is what happens, see earlier point regards not seeing the film in ages!! :-P

7623Biplane2.jpg

7623Biplane1.jpg

After that, you build the temple in stages, starting with the entrance first, and then the holey floor section with the spears. These spears are just loosely placed into technic holed bricks. Quite easy to make em flick out but they can go anywhere! hehe

Entrance :

7623Entrance.jpg

7623Entrance2.jpg

7623Part1.jpg

Holey Floor & Spears :

7623Spears2.jpg

These two parts are hinged and on an angle to each other and the gap makes for a handy bottomless pit, complete with pole for Indy to swing over with his whip.

7623Pit.jpg

After that, you create the door and the ratchet mechanism to keep it raised. After that, you add the runners for the ball and the swinging knives trap.

7623Rock.jpg

Swords Trap - Before :

7623SwordTrap2.jpg

After :

7623SwordTrap.jpg

Finally, you build the statue that holds the efigy. Nice bit of construction here, especially the way that everything falls over once the efigy is removed. Do be careful when putting the curved bits on though ... it appears one of the edges on mine has slightly bent when putting it on ... nowt noticable though.

Temple :

7623Temple.jpg

Preparing to steal :

7623Temple2.jpg

Run!!

7623TempleRun.jpg

You can see that the temple has toppled and debris has fallen all around ...

And then, as he goes through the door, the door falls (he gets his hat) and then the rock ball starts a rolling!

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!!

7623RunRunRun.jpg

The stickers were a pain though ... there's no room for a border around the sticker here! Beware!!

After all that is done, you join all the pieces together and it makes more a really good playset. Plenty of opportunity for recreating scenes here!

Idol Closeup :

7623Idol.jpg

Total Set :

7623FullSet.jpg

Spares :

7623SpareStickers.jpg

Yet more spare stickers??! (sorry, i've already put the spares in my box of bits!)

Overall, 8 out of 10 ... lots of play value and a pretty nice build. Too many stickers though ... and defo poor arms for the skeletons!

Edited by imperialshadows

Thanks for the review! This is certainly bigger than I expected! Can't wait to see your other pics! *y*

Is the efigy a totally new peice, or is it made of smaller peices with some gold hair attatched? Sorry if I missed this :-$

Nice review, just wish we had some more pics of the built set :-D

Is the efigy a totally new peice, or is it made of smaller peices with some gold hair attatched? Sorry if I missed this :-$

it's 1 moulded piece ...

Nice review, just wish we had some more pics of the built set :-D

i'll try again just now ...

thanks for the pics cant wait to see more, oh btw when the camera charges could you pleese take a photo of everything falling apart when indy takes the idol? cheers!

reveiw on *y*

Great Review!This set has lots of play value I see

Too bad about the hovito though :'-(

One request:

-could we get some close up pics of the idol? Thanks very much

Wow! I took a peak at the pics in your photobucket, thanks very much! This is a wonderful set, full of details! Awesome! :-D *y* *y*

~Peace

Wow! I took a peak at the pics in your photobucket, thanks very much! This is a wonderful set, full of details! Awesome! :-D *y* *y*

~Peace

sneaky!

All pics added ... if you want any others, please ask and I will try to oblige.

Awesome looking playset. Will probably not get due to price, and the fact I don't really need it. Good to see how everything works, but those DAMN stickers!

Thanks for that fine review, Big Pete! *y*

A really adventurous set with a good playability and neat traps!

That mayaesque sticker

Thank you very much for another great review, Big Pete *wub*

This is a good set, but I probably won't be able to afford it with all of the rest of the lego coming out in 2008 |-/

Oh, I watched this scene a few weeks ago, and the pilot is fishing while waiting for Indy to escape.

Thanks again you lucky lucky man :-P

Thanks for the great review! I'll probably be picking this one up if only for the minifigs (how can you not complete your Alfred Molina minifig collection?) and the idol piece.

Oh, I watched this scene a few weeks ago, and the pilot is fishing while waiting for Indy to escape.

This is correct, and in pure serial film fashion, the pilot is has just hooked a big one just as Jones starts yelling for him to get ready to leave ;-)

badger

Yes, but I don't live in the UK. Any idea how much it might cost in the US?

$59.99 is the US price. Already up for pre-sale on Amazon.

This is correct, and in pure serial film fashion, the pilot is has just hooked a big one just as Jones starts yelling for him to get ready to leave ;-)

Ahhh ... thanks ... now I want to go out and buy the Trilogy on DVD! It's cheap too ... under

No hovitos? NO!

Ah well, if I get more pirate sets next year i'd use the Islanders as hovitos. In the video game they have the same torsos.

I'd really like to get this, maybe in June I'll have luck. :'-)

this set is pretty nice i love the idol id probably buy the set just for that :-D lol is it just me or in the earlier concepts of this set we saw a native on the box? i wonder why they removed it :-( *wacko*

Tks so much Big Pete for thisd awsome review of yet another fantastic Indy sets !! Its clearly one of the best lines of all times with SW 8-

i just noticed another inconsistency between box art and the actual set ... on the box, the biplan has white wing supports (they're just plane windows without glass in them) and yet the set they are dark grey (or is it bley ... can never tell the difference without careful study).

Add to that ... the outer of the engine at the front is white on the box and black in the set.

We don't normally have this many inconsistencies do we ?

This set is so cool... and another must buy! :-$ I'm in trouble next year it seems... The figs are great! *wub* I think the plane is only OK; perhaps they should have made that in a separate set as it needed to be a certain size to fit the figs, but that meant that the tail is way too short. Here is a picture of the actual plane so you can see what I mean. (Notice the pilot is fishing... ;-) )

Jock.jpg

The temple is another story; I think Lego have done an incredible job with this, fitting in the key parts of this sequence without making an absurdly large model. Addtionally, there are many parts in this set that I haven't got so it shouldn't be too hard to justify. X-D

Thanks for another great review. *sweet* I love the photo of Indy running with the idol and the boulder close behind. :-P

lol is it just me or in the earlier concepts of this set we saw a native on the box? i wonder why they removed it :-( *wacko*

I recall that too. :-/

EDIT: Yes there was one...

0010818.jpg

We don't normally have this many inconsistencies do we ?

Quite annoying ones too. I think the plane looks better with those being white.