Review: 7623 Indiana Jones - Temple Escape

69 replies to this topic

#26 Lord Of Pies

Lord Of Pies

• Official Pirate Set Reviewer, who's back into pirates!

Member: 2085

Posted 16 December 2007 - 02:02 PM

Great review, thanks. :-)

The set looks great, I like the idol and boulder very much. The plane looks great too! Shame about the lack of native....
Are you hasty for a tasty pastry?

#27 jedikermit

jedikermit

• Muppet Man

Member: 2077

Posted 16 December 2007 - 02:44 PM

Forgot about the SW shout-outs with the plane's call letters too..."OB" and "CPO"....nice.
Check out my CUUSOO Proposals:  Superman's Fortress of Solitude and The Muppets!

#28 Zzz

Zzz

• Flick-fires the hell out of aliens!

Member: 1281

Posted 16 December 2007 - 03:08 PM

thanks a lot for the review!!

so now Indy arrived in europe!! good to see that...  *wub*

but to be honest, I am a bit disppointed for the figs...
no hovito??? I was complaining that Lego put only one inside and now none??
and also, the alfred molina minifig.. well, I liked the "darker skin version" from the video game trailer A LOT more...

but don't get me wrong, great review, thanks a lot for your work! and overall it is a not so bad set!!

have to own the airplane anyway....  *wub*
:-)
"I am Iron Man."  -  "I am Groot!"

#29 phoinix

phoinix

• Eurovision !!

Member: 689

Posted 16 December 2007 - 03:17 PM

another great play set from lego
great for any kid who likes indiana jones...
although i wonder..what child in the age of 8 konws about the first indiana jones movie??

i think this is a terrible marketing decision

i understand why they made sets for the first star wars movies
there is a whole cult around these movies
and they have been re-released and re-introduced many many times.

but i dont think indiana jones is that classic...

anyhow as far as the set goes it is really good to play
but since a dont "play" with my lego
im not really into such set...

at least lego did good work with the indy line..
it shows as that they can do better for other lines as well..

#30 Belloq

Belloq

• Help! It's Stuck in There!

Member: 2193

Posted 16 December 2007 - 03:33 PM

Great Reviw Big Pete!
I was kind of wobbling between buying and not buying this set when I saw that Belloq's face was Malfoy's, but your review has convinced me to buy this!
However I am a bit dissapointed that there will be no Hovito, that the skeletons have castle torsos rather than the old ones, and of course the fact that Belloq doesn't have the cool face he has in the trailer.
But other than those gripes, I am quite happy with the new line.
Did you consider putting the spider stickers on the back of the Indy fig? OOn the back of the Satipo fig (whose face is Bruce Wayne's >:-( )
Anyway, thanks for the review again!  *sweet*

I'll tell you what George's problem was when writing this film. He was so preoccupied with whether or not he could…he didn’t stop to think if he should. That’s…that’s chaos.
^Someone on A few scenes in Indy 4

The moral of Indy is... "Don't get in a swordfight with a Russian chick while hightailing it through the South African jungle while your mom is driving the truck because she will look away from the nonexistent road to criticize your footwork and accidentally cause some oddly bulbous jungle flora to whack you repeatedly right in the junk."
^What some of us learned from Indy 4 (which I did enjoy, I but thought the post above was hilarious)

Apparently Rachel Dawes was also using cheap parlor tricks to hide her true identity in Batman Begins.
^An explanation as to why a different actress was cast in The Dark Knight.

"Indiana Jones and The Temple of Shame" :P

#31 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 16 December 2007 - 03:35 PM

View Postphoinix, on Dec 16 2007, 03:17 PM, said:

although i wonder..what child in the age of 8 konws about the first indiana jones movie??
He he.... I guess thats where the gift buying parental education effect comes in.... Posted Image  :-P

#32 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Member: 1554

Posted 16 December 2007 - 03:40 PM

View Postphoinix, on Dec 17 2007, 01:17 AM, said:

but since a dont "play" with my lego
im not really into such set...
Why not? I'm 30 and I play with mine all the time!  :-P

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!

#33 Section8

Section8

Member: 857

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:24 PM

View Postphoinix, on Dec 16 2007, 09:17 AM, said:

but i dont think indiana jones is that classic...

Several years ago, a poll of ~80,000 British people on the greatest action hero ever resulted in Indiana Jones placing #1, ahead of homegrown hero James Bond.

While the licensing of Indiana Jones is far less than Star Wars, the cultural integration is almost on par, at least here in the States.   The scene this set portrays is probably one of the most famous and most parodied scenes in any movie.

Edited by Section8, 16 December 2007 - 04:29 PM.

#34 Big Pete

Big Pete

Member: 1523

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:00 PM

View Postphoinix, on Dec 16 2007, 03:17 PM, said:

another great play set from lego

i think this is a terrible marketing decision

you could argue that it is genius marketing ... not for Lego, for DVD sales.

Afterall, if a kid has heard of Indiana Jones but doesn't recognise the sets from the films, then they'll badger their parents to buy the DVDs ;)

Hell, it worked on me, and I had no-one badgering me ... I just bought the box set for 20 :D

#35 julencin2000

julencin2000

Member: 1835

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for your reviews, man. So, how many big leafs are in the box? Quite a bunch...

#36 Big Pete

Big Pete

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:26 PM

View Postjulencin2000, on Dec 16 2007, 05:06 PM, said:

Thanks for your reviews, man. So, how many big leafs are in the box? Quite a bunch...

5 in all ...

#37 Wout

Wout

Member: 1485

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:12 PM

Thank you for the review

It looks like they used the new face of Draco Malfoy from this years Hogwarts for Belloq. I think this is also nice to make a movie themed attraction for a Minifig attraction parc.
Duke of Equestria

#38 iamded

iamded

• Cannot neigh to save his life.

Member: 1225

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:51 PM

View PostSinner, on Dec 17 2007, 04:40 AM, said:

I'm 30 and I play with mine all the time!  :-P
Is that how you got your title? :-P
Anyway, I'm sure there are plenty of kids who know who Indy is, I remember watching the movies and thought they were awesome! Besides, they're bound to screen sometime during the holidays, and you can bet there'll be kids watching it.
~Peace

Edited by iamded, 16 December 2007 - 10:55 PM.

Check out Eurobricks' RPG, Mafia and Wargames forum for the best fun.

#39 Looking for a display name

Looking for a display name

• Looking to get banned

Member: 2011

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:39 PM

i might get 2 and make put them ether side so id have 1 base with 2 sets on each side of the 1st base
so it would have a front like a corridor it would be cool
cant wate to get some :D

#40 Big Pete

Big Pete

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:10 PM

The Hovito in the pre-lim  set pic has blue legs ... I wonder why ?

Was it as simple as they didn't have any brown legs in stock ... do you think there is a demand for custom Hovito figs

Edited by Big Pete, 17 December 2007 - 04:27 PM.

#41 Tanotrooper

Tanotrooper

• TT Commander

Member: 1514

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:04 PM

View PostBig Pete, on Dec 17 2007, 05:10 PM, said:

The Hovito in the pre-lim  set pic has blue legs ... I wonder why ?

Was it as simple as they didn't have any brown legs in stock ... do you think there is a demand for custom Hovito figs

this is how the prototype hovito was made:

-avatar Sokka legs (red brown legs with blue printing)
-standard red brown torso, arms and hands
-red brown head with standard smiley
-black hair (female) long
-black spear

Looks like a great set! I hope to get that torso of Belloq in bulk... Can I have a close look on that one?

Thanks

TT
http://www.brickshel...i?m=Tanotrooper
Project Waterloo 1815: FINISHED AT THE MOMENT: 2 companies of the 1st bataillon of "le 45ème regiment d'infanterie de ligne" (pic=link)

Posted Image
  Posted Image
flickr

#42 Big Pete

Big Pete

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:12 PM

View PostTanotrooper, on Dec 17 2007, 05:04 PM, said:

Looks like a great set! I hope to get that torso of Belloq in bulk... Can I have a close look on that one?

Thanks

TT

Posted Image

#43 Belloq

Belloq

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:06 PM

View PostBig Pete, on Dec 17 2007, 06:12 PM, said:

Posted Image

You know, the more pics you post of him, the more I like the look they chose for Belloq? I am still slightly unhappy, but your review has opened my eyes. This set looks like its worth getting, especially for that golden Idol piece  8-

I'll tell you what George's problem was when writing this film. He was so preoccupied with whether or not he could…he didn’t stop to think if he should. That’s…that’s chaos.

The moral of Indy is... "Don't get in a swordfight with a Russian chick while hightailing it through the South African jungle while your mom is driving the truck because she will look away from the nonexistent road to criticize your footwork and accidentally cause some oddly bulbous jungle flora to whack you repeatedly right in the junk."
^What some of us learned from Indy 4 (which I did enjoy, I but thought the post above was hilarious)

Apparently Rachel Dawes was also using cheap parlor tricks to hide her true identity in Batman Begins.

#44 Big Pete

Big Pete

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:06 AM

having just watched the film (which, I confess, I don't really recall having ever watched in it's entirity before!) the Temple Escape set has pretty much everything you'd need to recreate the entire first sequence in the film ... apart from the Hovito.

And the Marion figure is excellent compared to the character on film :-)

I do wonder though, why out of the 4 sets we got, why 3 were from the Lost Ark and 1 from the Last Crusade ... seems like an odd combo to me.

But man, do I want the other two sets like RIGHT NOW!!!

#45 Belloq

Belloq

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:08 AM

View PostBig Pete, on Dec 18 2007, 12:06 AM, said:

having just watched the film (which, I confess, I don't really recall having ever watched in it's entirity before!) the Temple Escape set has pretty much everything you'd need to recreate the entire first sequence in the film ... apart from the Hovito.

And the Marion figure is excellent compared to the character on film :-)

I do wonder though, why out of the 4 sets we got, why 3 were from the Lost Ark and 1 from the Last Crusade ... seems like an odd combo to me.

But man, do I want the other two sets like RIGHT NOW!!!

Because, and I believe this has been discussed previously in the IJ pics at cooltoyreview board, temple of Doom wwas perhaps, too evil (read the board, plenty of good comments and explanations) and Last Crusade has the Swatsika showered all over the place.

#46 Big Pete

Big Pete

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:26 AM

View PostBelloq, on Dec 18 2007, 12:08 AM, said:

Because, and I believe this has been discussed previously in the IJ pics at cooltoyreview board, temple of Doom wwas perhaps, too evil (read the board, plenty of good comments and explanations) and Last Crusade has the Swatsika showered all over the place.

sorry if I missed a previous discussion ... I guess they're pretty good reasons!

#47 Belloq

Belloq

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:28 AM

View PostBig Pete, on Dec 18 2007, 12:26 AM, said:

sorry if I missed a previous discussion ... I guess they're pretty good reasons!

No problem!  :-)
I would look into the thread if I were you, it's pretty funny and..interesting?
Well, maybe its interesting.  X-D

#48 Indy565

Indy565

Member: 2251

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:01 AM

#7622 has numbered bags as well. I know because I own it. I own them all.

Edited by Indy565, 18 December 2007 - 01:03 AM.

#49 jedikermit

jedikermit

• Muppet Man

Member: 2077

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:05 AM

There are still plenty of sets they could do from Last Crusade and Temple of Doom that wouldn't involve swastikas or be "too evil"...a great Temple of Doom set would involve the rope bridge sequence, Indy, Short Round, Willie Scott, Mola Ram and some Thuggees.  That wouldn't be any more evil or offensive than the first sets in this series...  I think Raiders of the Lost Ark is the best known of the Indiana Jones films, so they went with a Raiders-heavy first assortment.  We'll get more from the other movies later.
Check out my CUUSOO Proposals:  Superman's Fortress of Solitude and The Muppets!

#50 Big Pete

Big Pete

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:05 AM

oh ... I should add ... there is a snake for the plane ... and you can fit two minifigs in it (in one compartment, not two) ... so you can do the plane part of the escape too  :-)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users