Sign in to follow this  
blackdeathgr

Earthwork fortifications - Ch2a

After the failed attack at Eltina, Oleander colonial leaders decided it was to their best interest if Eltina had some enhanced fortifications. Alas, with Eltina built on rather flat grounds with not much wood around (since most of the nearest small forests were cut down in order to establish sugar plantations), earthen fortifications were the most suitable solution. Below, our Oleon finest, enjoy themselves building them. And of course, given the significance of the fortifications in our proud military history, nothing less than a Field General was needed to supervise the whole task.

26005638152_055c97f548_c.jpg

That is a very small hole for a very big cannon! I like the variation of colours used to represent the work in progress around the earthworks. The earthworks themselves look like they would be very difficult to attack.

I do however, pity the Oleander soldiers, labouring away under the watch of their un-caring officer, in full uniform including shako and packs! No wonder I spy a bottle in the background - that is sure to be thirsty work ! pirate_laugh_new.gif

Haha, Field General default_roflmao.gif

Nah, seriously, I like this a lot. Some great earth work here. It really looks like they're digging in, plus you gave a convincing explaination as to why this is necessary thumbup.gif That gun port or what you call it might be a tad small, though.

But, doesn't matter... Impenetrable defenses MWAHAHA

Nice work on the terrain. The field general is hardly breaking a sweat. :laugh:

Are you sure this is for category CH2B? It seems more like a CH2A build to me.

Interesting earthworks, BD!

I am wondering at the limited traverse of the gun position, and how they have constructed the roof over the gun.

I really like the idea of trenches, but would probably have suggested an open gun position, as that would make more sense as part of earthworks.

Well done.

As always thanks everyone for your comments!

What i finally built, wasn't the original plan i had in mind as i was thinking more of a shallow-ish trench or two with a "big-wheeled" cannon or something. But it eventually upon building it, it turned into something like "Maginot line" or something similar to the WWI trenches pirate_tong.gif And i couldn't omit the cannon pirate_laugh2.gif so i shoved it there totally unrealistically as most of you had notice (operators dont have view, cannon barrel cant turn and earth works might crumble upon firing this cannon). But at least the cannon is secured and isnt falling while i was moving the MOC for photoshooting! pirate_tong.gif Another historical reason as to why cannons of that era were mostly uncovered or at least not entirely covered, i think, was that smokeless gunpowder hadn't been invented yet pirate_satisfied.gif

Are you sure this is for category CH2B? It seems more like a CH2A build to me.

Indeed, thanks for noticing! it was a mistake and i corrected it (i had already posted a ch2b entry earlier pirate_tong.gif )

Nice build! I wonder if the soldiers still would wear their backpacks and hats while working like that? The colours are good, but perhaps a bit of 1x1 plates (square or round) to simulate what they are shovelling?

Nice mix of green and brown, it gives the feeling of dirt dug up from the trench :classic:

However I think the plants on top of the brown gives a bit of a strange look, as if the dirt thrown on them has just sifted through? Maybe some scattered plates/round plates on top of the leave pieces would have solved that.