Carribean Clipper vs the Imperial Flagship

81 replies to this topic  – Started by Scouty , Nov 29 2007 11:47 PM

Poll: Carribean Clipper Vs. Imperial Flagship (195 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one is better?

1. The Almighty Caribbean Clipper! (90 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

2. The Fearsome Imperial Flagship! (105 votes [53.85%])

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Lord Augusta

Lord Augusta

Member: 7386

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

View PostFluyt, on Sep 13 2009, 03:07 PM, said:

CC and IF both have 4 minifigs  :pir-wink:

Thanks for correcting, sorry my mistake. I just mean someone likes CC more just because it has more soilder ( ignore that "pirate" minifig on the Flagship) :pir-blush:

#52 Fluyt

Fluyt

Member: 2980

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:42 PM

View PostLord Augusta, on Sep 13 2009, 06:46 PM, said:

Thanks for correcting, sorry my mistake. I just mean someone likes CC more just because it has more soilder ( ignore that "pirate" minifig on the Flagship) :pir-blush:

No need to apologize :pir-wink:, you got a point that TLG unfortunately keeps giving us less and less minifigs. But yeah, "just because it has more soldiers" is kind of a stupid reason to me too.
For a collection/army, sure the CC has better figs, but the IF has a much more interresting minifig selection and is much better for a stand-alone set, one of the few sets where the "pirate" is used as a regular sailor for the "good guys" (I think the only other set where the fig is not used as a pirate is 6277 imperial trading post).

#53 Burf2000

Burf2000

Member: 6615

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:28 AM

I think The Almighty Caribbean Clipper looks better

#54 Commodore Hornbricker

Commodore Hornbricker
  • Cyborg Chef Splatter

Member: 5169

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:15 AM

The Clipper!  It's the original soldiers ship and I have always loved those blue striped sails.
Posted Image Sail on over to the Port of Brick Royal
"I am not having him flogged for fighting, Mr. Gerard." - Horatio Hornblower

#55 moschino

moschino
  • Blue fashion victim.

Member: 32406

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

I think Clipper's sails are much more natural, and they definitely fits better in the same scene with Black Seas Barracuda or Skull's Eye Schooner because they all have sails with vertical lines.
Blue is a royal colour, so the sails remain flawless to me.

Imperial Flagship has nice sails but they don't fit that well with the Pirates sails in the same scene.

However, I go for the Imperial Flagship because I find this ship one of the most elegant ships of all time even if is not that impressive in size.
Caribbean Clipper looks a bit fat, its overall shape being too round.
Maybe another hull added there would have change my opinion.

#56 yogurt

yogurt

Member: 32864

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

Both of these are very nice ships (sloops really in RN terms), however I'd put the Clipper (I prefer the English name Sea Hawk) first as it is potentially better armed (the gunports are ready to be used, although only two cannons came with the model), it is the larger ship, is better crewed (the ship actually has sailors instead of soldiers with shakos and packs) and the ship has a cabin which makes the ship look bettter from astern. The only thing I don't like is the odd rigging and the fact that I've never figured out what type of ship it is. The Imperial Flagship (Sea Lion) is much better rigged as it is clearly some sort of Cutter.

The other thing I like better about the Clipper is that despite its smaller size it was still a match for the Barracuda (Dark Shark) as it carried the same number of guns. The Imperial Flagship, in contrast, was hopelessly outgunned by the Skulls Eye Schooner (I hate that American name as it clearly isn't a schooner).

#57 Blackar

Blackar
  • It's a me! (bluecoat killing-) Mario!

Member: 25955

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

I voted for Imperial Flagship because I got it on Christmas when I was a child. The second reason is that it looks bigger and more powerful.

Posted Image

Down with Admiral Pastry!

#58 Brickington

Brickington
  • It's Tuesday somewhere, right?

Member: 28288

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

^What he said. :grin:

Posted Image

~Lord Brickington of Avalonia~

My Flickr | Guilds of Historica | Sir Brickington | My Brickshelf

#59 Hive

Hive
  • Friendsified!

Member: 9979

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

The clipper all the way. Better colors, better sails, better overall look.

#60 Grimmbeard

Grimmbeard
  • Oh me, oh my! Love that Redcoat Pie!

Member: 30768

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

I own the Clipper, and it's personally my favorite ship. The sails are just plain amazing, and the minifigs too :classic: . There are a few problems, such as no back sail and open cabin, but still it's bigger than the flagship and is just overall better. I do, however like the front sail of the flagship, it can be used for just about any ship.

Edited by Grimmbeard, 28 November 2012 - 10:57 PM.

--Grimmbeard
You've fallen for one of the classic Blunders! the most famous of which is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this, Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!!!

Flickr | YouTube

Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image

#61 Captain Becker

Captain Becker
  • Pirate Pig

Member: 8823

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

Clipper. Yes, i know. As a Redcoat i should vote the Imperial Flagship, but theres that tiny thing wich just makes me hate the whole ship, and they are the sails. I just dont like them at all.

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker, 28 November 2012 - 11:32 PM.

My LEGO collection

"An Admiral a day, keeps the Doctor away" General Skalldyr in ToR II

Posted Image Posted Image <---- Thank you so much joey Bluecoats FTW
Thank you Jebediahs

#62 Another Brick In The Wall

Another Brick In The Wall

Member: 27855

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:56 AM

Voted for the Clipper too. My reasons is that it succeeds more at what it's trying to achieve. Whereas the Imperial Flagship......looks nothing like an Imperial Flagship.

#63 Captain Fortune

Captain Fortune

Member: 1578

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

I've got and I love both of them, but there is an evidence we can't ignore: the design of the "Sea Lion" (Imperial Flagship) is much better than the Caribbean Clipper. This mast without sails makes no sense at all, the ship is too broad (it should be longer), the single and central "steps" to get up to the mast (sorry I don't know how to say it in english) is not realistic, because it should be on the two sides of the mast, etc. On the other hand, the design of the Sea Lion is excellent: realistic, fast, slender and powerful.

Despite of that, the Caribbean has some advantages: More space, better minifigs (I don't like that sailor of the Sea Lion, he should have been a soldier) the cabin (the IF has no cabin, what a shame!), and a little hold.

Nevertheless, in conclusion I vote for the Imperial Flagship.

Posted Image

Edited by Captain Fortune, 29 November 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#64 Hive

Hive
  • Friendsified!

Member: 9979

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

The name "Imperial Flagship" alone ought to disqualify it from winning, since it's the most misleading name EVER. :tongue:

#65 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!

Member: 3891

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

I can't remember which one I voted, I can't even decide which one I like most now,
the imperial flagship may not be a flagship but those sails are nice, on the other hand I like how the CC has two courses of sails on the foremast and the wide cabin is cool.

View PostHive, on 29 November 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

The name "Imperial Flagship" alone ought to disqualify it from winning, since it's the most misleading name EVER. :tongue:
Agreed, it's very confusing, I even think the poll is not accurate anymore assuming that a great deal of people who recently voted had the new imperial flagship in mind :wacko:

Edited by Sebeus I, 29 November 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#66 Only Sinner

Only Sinner

Member: 21171

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

Even though I have more blue guys than red, I never liked the CC design at all. Even as a wee whelp, I scoffed at pictures of it amidst the pirate ships. The IF is not a whole lot better, though. :hmpf_bad:
Posted Image

#67 Ratshot

Ratshot
  • Thank you for your contributions!

Member: 4799

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:53 AM

The Imperial Flagship is far more appealing to me them the CC, the design around the area where the cannons poke out the sides of the ship is best imporvement area, the only thing that the CC has on the IF is where the helms man stands. There both great classic ships, I own the CC.

My flickr

Posted Image
1969 Dodge Charger RT

#68 Janay Bicer

Janay Bicer

Member: 33751

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

The sails of the Imperial flagship makes it a winner

#69 Nagyzee

Nagyzee

Member: 10540

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:37 AM

While the Imperial Flagship has an incredibly misleading name it still is a lot better than the Clipper in my opinion. It just has one of the best colour schemes and nicest sail patterns ever. Also it has a lot better proportions. The Clipper is way too short for its width.

#70 Captain Roger

Captain Roger
  • Salty EB dog

Member: 376

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Both are good ships, I don't know what ship is better.

CC has anchor, IF not. 1 point to CC
IF has more realistic riggings. 1 point to IF

In any case, I prefer IF, so i have voted IF
LET'S CRAH THE IMPERIAL GUARDS!!!

#71 -obelix-

-obelix-

Member: 8242

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

Tough I like both ships (and sadly own neither yet...), judging by these pics alone I voted for the Imperial Flagship. However, if some modifications could be made (like extra cannons, several extra crewmen...), I think Clipper would be my choice!

Posted Image

Thalion Dwinlas, Level 19 Elven Sorcerer in Sandy's Heroica RPG

O'Blix, Level 31 Goblin Regulator in Cruel Angel's Thesis

#72 Pavel

Pavel

Member: 15161

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

View Post-obelix-, on 09 December 2012 - 05:59 AM, said:

Tough I like both ships (and sadly own neither yet...), judging by these pics alone I voted for the Imperial Flagship. However, if some modifications could be made (like extra cannons, several extra crewmen...), I think Clipper would be my choice!

I can sign this, I voted the Imperial Flagship, however the other one would be easy to improve with some slight changes/additions.

#73 captain gabe

captain gabe

Member: 37109

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

I have to say, i like how the Caribbean clipper looks, but i don't like bluecoats. so i have to go with the redcoat imperial flagship.

View PostAnother Brick In The Wall, on 29 November 2012 - 02:56 AM, said:

Voted for the Clipper too. My reasons is that it succeeds more at what it's trying to achieve. Whereas the Imperial Flagship......looks nothing like an Imperial Flagship.
The caribbean clipper could never be a flagship either!
Posted Image
"Hi, Ho Silver!

#74 naf

naf

Member: 45888

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

I voted for the Clipper because I had it along with the BSB when I was a kid.  While I did always find the back mast to be a bit strange, the blue sails are great.  I think the BSB and Clipper sails are among the best in the entire series.  I'm also biased towards the bluecoats because that's the army I had as a kid.

I just got back into Lego, and recently bought the IF so that my BSB has something to battle (the Clipper belongs to my brother).  Maybe someday I will be able to do a side by side comparison of the two.  One thing I definitely don't like about the IF are the sails.  Those crossed cannons are just awful looking.  The ship itself does look neat, and I can't wait to build it.

#75 Matthias

Matthias

Member: 34509

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

I think CC is much better. Maybe the IF looks better at first look, but the sails hung fast down and than they got crumpled and when you stand it in a corner and look again 5 years later,
the sail got a new form and it is difficoult to fix that.
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links