CM4Sci

IDEAS 21307 Caterham Seven 620R

21307 Caterham Seven 620R

October 2016

$79.99

KBAKzr4.jpg

Original post:

Hooray. the newest Ideas set has been announced! Alongside the Catherham is an Adventure Time Buildable Figure pack!

Discuss!

Edited by CM4Sci

I almost can't believe they approved the Catherham! when the Vette died I thought for sure that was the death blow for all large scale cars through ideas. very exciting to see it pass. now the long arduous wait for them to show us the final model.

Catherham looks pretty cool. I am wondering what the scale of it will be(1/8th, 1/10th, 1/16th, Ghostbuster scale(?))? Looks pretty big in the picture. Also will it stay within the $70 price point?

Edit: Moved question here.

Edited by Tech Artist

As it stands right now, this is probably a must-buy for me. Insanely awesome that this got approved! I'll see how I stand after I see the final product.

Grr that's the second time that amazing T-rex fails, wtf Lego? How is this not the best Lego model ever made? I must be missing something, maybe it's built too fragile?

The cars are nice (only I imagine them at $100-$150, and I'm pretty sure that Lego is gonna make them a lot worse), and the Adventure Time license would sell me anything, only I would have preffered playsets, rather than buildable characters. But of course, the Lego Idea rules pretty much prevent new parts, which a playset would involve, for the characters.

I'll see how I stand after I see the final product.

yeah, I already see several aspects of it that will certainly not pass Lego's guidelines. To start with, it relies a lot on tubes bent very abruptly, Lego is gonna change that, and it's not gonna look as nice. A clip on a 4mm cable, never saw that either. Rubber bands, stickers over multiple parts, all this is gonna get ruined. Such MOCs always look great, but I hope people understand that Lego is never gonna do that (unless it was a new kind, released strictly for adults).

The T-Rex however, if there's any building flaw, I'm not seeing it. I don't get it, the brown one looks amazing.

Edited by anothergol

Adventure Time license would sell me anything, only I would have preffered playsets, rather than buildable characters. But of course, the Lego Idea rules pretty much prevent new parts, which a playset would involve, for the characters.

Someone forgot about the top selling Minecraft. Started with weird sets and became it's own mini figure theme with all new head pieces.

Someone forgot about the top selling Minecraft. Started with weird sets and became it's own mini figure theme with all new head pieces.

Yeah but it started as the blocks only, then they expanded it with minifigs. Can't really imagine this for this set, but I do really hope it's gonna make Lego do more with the license, later.

I'd like it to be like SpongeBob, the sets were cool.

Congrats to Carl G.

LEGO will certainly put their buildability, playability and safety policies against it. Depending on the age range they plan to release the set for, the changes could be small or drastic. It's a wait and see game now.

I say this every time, but this is one I might pick up even though it doesn't really appeal to me that much as a set initially. So far I've only skipped one such Ideas set.

I'm glad this one passed review.

Alongside the Catherham...

...they approved the Catherham!

Catherham looks pretty cool.

I know some of you say you've never heard of the Caterham before, but I have to say I'm not familiar with the Catherham. What is it? ;)

Caterham.

Thank you. I suspected there would be somebody else in here who couldn't resist commenting!

That said, I love that they approved Carl's project. He did such a great job transforming it from what was essentially a 'custom LEGO job' to something so 'legal' that it's likely already pretty much production-ready - especially considering he does already design LEGO models for a living, at TT Games. I, for one, being a petrolhead, very much look forward to having one of these on my shelf. It's a lovely little car and a near-perfect rendition of it in LEGO, and as Caterham themselves were big supporters from the start I'm not surprised it made it through.

So can anyone guess what the scale might be? Does anyone know the scale of the model in the original project? Also will it stay around the typical $70?

So can anyone guess what the scale might be? Does anyone know the scale of the model in the original project? Also will it stay around the typical $70?

$70 isn't typical, at least for Ideas sets - the Maze is the first and only set in the line at that price, so far. But based on the apparent size and complexity, I do think this Caterham set will at least match that price, if not exceed it.

Caterham makes a Lotus Seven, basically, for almost 50 years. The had an F1 team, but forget it, because their renditions of the Seven are what put them on the map in the world of performance cars. The original idea, made by Carl Greatrix, is the more "ordinary" Super Seven, although I wouldn't be surprised if TLG will make the giant-slaying Superlight R500 or the hottest Caterham 7 today, the 620R, which he also built (here and here).

As for the announcement... aw yiss! I had a good feeling back in the main Ideas thread that the Caterham will pass, and it did pass! Now for the designers to tackle the challenge of working steering...

Edited by XAxles

who can enjoy theses lego Ideas? a car and some parts of bricks.

It's juste anything.

Lego Ideas is a troll from Lego. No set worthy of the name chosen. It makes me angry that all the lord of rings projects are rejected like the lothlorien. What can really think these lego designers for several months on these ridiculous selected sets?

who can enjoy theses lego Ideas? a car and some parts of bricks.

It's juste anything.

Lego Ideas is a troll from Lego. No set worthy of the name chosen. It makes me angry that all the lord of rings projects are rejected like the lothlorien. What can really think these lego designers for several months on these ridiculous selected sets?

Maybe if Middle-Earth fans would occasionally support sets with fewer than fifty thousand pieces including eight hundred minifigures, they might have a better chance of getting a project through review.

Anyway, the sets that do get chosen obviously do appeal to lots of people, even if not to you specifically. Car models have long been a mainstay of LEGO, and Adventure Time is a terrific show with a big following that spans generations, but is particularly popular with people right in LEGO's core audience.

Maybe if Middle-Earth fans would occasionally support sets with fewer than fifty thousand pieces including eight hundred minifigures, they might have a better chance of getting a project through review.

I think IDEAS will eventually support larger sets, but yeah, LotR sets are usually bigger than any set in circulation... also IDEAS has never approved a project associated with a previous or concurrent theme.

However, next round is a distinct possibility of large set, with at least one building from Victorian London Christmas -- mainly because all the other projects are totally uninspiring.

I think IDEAS will eventually support larger sets, but yeah, LotR sets are usually bigger than any set in circulation... also IDEAS has never approved a project associated with a previous or concurrent theme.

I'm sure it will happen eventually, as well; note that after a few years of CUUSOO / ideas topping out at $50 (USD), they had three $60 sets in a row last year, and now we're about to get a $70 one, so they're apprently pushing their ceiling on these just a bit higher every so often. But it'll be a while before they start approving really huge things, I think.

However, next round is a distinct possibility of large set, with at least one building from Victorian London Christmas -- mainly because all the other projects are totally uninspiring.

Well... YMMV, of course. I personally would love the Beatles' Yellow Submarine.

Very disappointed by both choices but then again, I know the ones I like won't get picked. So I guess I should say expected disappointment.

I'm sure it will happen eventually, as well; note that after a few years of CUUSOO / ideas topping out at $50 (USD), they had three $60 sets in a row last year, and now we're about to get a $70 one, so they're apprently pushing their ceiling on these just a bit higher every so often. But it'll be a while before they start approving really huge things, I think.

Well... YMMV, of course. I personally would love the Beatles' Yellow Submarine.

A couple of years when Western Modular Town was under review, CUUSOO made some comments suggesting had the project been accepted they would have released only the Saloon building. It was ultimately rejected only because of conflict with the Lone Ranger license.

This suggests that they were willing to accept a larger project back then.

As for Yellow Submarine, the license is held by K'Nex

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall