Dreamweb

The pirate ship Juggernaut

Considering that we are in a Pirate forum after all, it is funny how long it has been since my latest true pirate ship, by which I mean a vessel not for the bluecoats, the readcoats etc., just the villainous bloodthirsty sea rats. In fact none of my previous attempts at the subject were particularly successful and were all taken apart eventually. But now things have changed and the pirates have a new huge ship to sail the seas of my house, wreaking havoc among the various factions of soldiers who until now could only fight each other (or Redbeard, since my Black Seas Barracuda is in one piece, but let's just say they were tired of fighting him :pir-classic: ).

So there she is - the pirate ship Juggernaut.

01.jpg

The ship uses the bow and stern hull pieces from Harry Potter set 4768 The Durmstrang Ship, which are the same hull pieces as used in the (in)famous 4+ pirate ship, just in different colours.

00.jpg

Since no official middle sections for that hull exist in those colours, I had to go for a custom one, which was pretty tricky, and if you have one of those 4+ hull pieces and are aware of the way they are interconnected, you probably agree with me on that one.

02.jpg

Still, I am happy with the result, the long custom middle section blends in quite nicely with the bow and stern pieces.

03.jpg

I actually like those 4+ / Harry Potter hulls. They're bulky, wider than the normal hulls you typically associate with LEGO Pirates, and they have a great potential for building really big and nasty-looking vessels.

04.jpg

At first, when I started the building process, I wasn't even sure if this was actually meant to be a ship for the pirates or for the soldiers. Then I got to the bow part and built the figurehead using the most fitting piece I could find - and it just happened to be a skull. Well, from that point it became obvious this was no soldiers' ship.

05.jpg

A baby this size needs not one but two anchors to hold her in position when needed. Here you can see the mechanisms used to hoist them - pretty standard issue known from the first official LEGO ships, but the anchor ropes are nicely hidden under the deck.

06.jpg

A ship this size needs quite a crew. You will find some interesting individuals if you take a good look around.

07.jpg

It takes a lot of time to clean her decks too!

08.jpg

Speaking of which, in here you can see almost the whole main deck and the gun deck down below!

09.jpg

She is armed with 12 cannons on the gun deck...

10.jpg

...enough to outgun even a fully armed 10210 Imperial Flagship.

11.jpg

Where is that Imperial Flagship?

:pir-classic:

12.jpg

Such a big ship needs a big bell to call for the attention of the crew when needed. Also, I ALWAYS wanted to use this stairwell piece in a ship MOC. Now I have finally built a ship big enough to fit this!

13.jpg

The captain spends a lot of time on his bridge, and his first mate makes sure that all the pirates follow his orders. Oh, and he takes care of the two parrots, too.

14.jpg

We have seen the open parts of the ship, but what about the areas which are slightly more concealed? Well, first of all, here's an entrance from the gun deck to the crew quarters in the forecastle, hidden beneath the easily removable grid plate located on the main deck next to the anchor mechanisms, which you could see in one of the earlier pictures.

15.jpg

As for the stern part of the ship, the whole sterncastle section is easily removable, to reveal the galley, and also the very top of the sterncastle can be lifted to allow access to the captain's quarters. Let's take a look at the galley first:

16.jpg

Well, technically we have two rooms in here, separated by a door. Also, each room has another door leading to the gun deck. In one of the rooms the chef keeps some live animals for future consumption. We have some fish in a barrel here, and also a pig!

17.jpg

In the other room the chef prepares meals for the crew. As you can see, lately they managed to catch some crabs. I'm sure the captain will be delighted with such dinner.

18.jpg

Speaking of whom, there he is again, this time alone in his quarters. This guy surely does like to live comfortably! Even has two spare hooks - just in case!

19.jpg

And that's it, and once again thanks to everyone who took the time to read it all, please share your thoughts on the MOC, looking forward to reading your comments, and have a good day/night/whatever! :pir-classic:

Edited by Dreamweb

Wow, just.....wow! That ship might be the best pirate ship I have ever seen! The cabin is amazing! What was that massive map in the cabin? What set was that in? Also did you incorporate any hammocks in the ship or? But over all a very cool ship and the imperial flagship wont Stan a chance

Awesome, a formiddible looking ship. I really like the all black look with so many details in the design. And these guys won't be going hungry, I like the crabs. Stairs in black look good in the ship, wish I had some in that colour to use (I somehow doubt my pink, red or yellow ones would cut it).

Thanks!

What was that massive map in the cabin? What set was that in?

If you mean that map:

6179px6.1199600859.jpg

Then it's from the 4+ pirate ship - set no. 7075.

Also did you incorporate any hammocks in the ship or?

Not this time. Because of the construction of the 4+ hulls, there's not really much room near the bottom of the hull for crew quarters. So i just left this:

14.jpg

As a symbolic entrance to whatever may lie below the gun deck! The rest is up to the imagination. :pir_laugh2: Whether or not this was LEGO's intention, I always interpreted the single hatch of the Caribbean Clipper and the mutiple hatches of the Black Seas Barracuda as serving the same function - just a passage to some additional hidden parts of the ship.

Are you planning anything next?

I'm always working on something. pirate_classic.gif Right now I have two WIP ships. However, when they will be finished, no one knows. Quite like with this one - it spent a lot of time just waiting for me to find the inspiration to complete the build.

Edited by Dreamweb

Nice ship dreamweb.I really like the grand stearn. The only critic piece I would change is the gray. Instead of all the gray on the bow and stern I would change it to black. Then I would add a gray stripe down the tumblehome, it looks like where the pre-fab hull rounds off you could continue a nice stripe all the way across from end to end. Anyways its a beauty and hope to see more!

I am impressed that you managed to use those hull parts. I don't own them, but I have seen them, and the don't look easy to use. Not to mention I have never seen a good looking ship using them before.

Ships has lots of personality to it, too.

Thanks for the comments!

Are the gray pieces represent stone?

They're not supposed to represent stone, just as I'm sure the grey in the Durmstrang Ship set didn't represent stone either. pir_laugh2.gif

Instead of all the gray on the bow and stern I would change it to black. Then I would add a gray stripe down the tumblehome, it looks like where the pre-fab hull rounds off you could continue a nice stripe all the way across from end to end.

I understand where you're coming from. Yeah, I suppose this might've worked as well, but I like the colours the way they are now too. pirate_laugh_new.gif

Oh, and by the way, just today I learned that there was a ship by that name in the Pirates of the Caribbean Online game, however this MOC is not related to it in any way, moreover it's just a coincidence since I came up with the name long before reading about the ship from the game, and I've never even played it. pirate_classic.gif

Edited by Dreamweb

Every time I hear the word "juggernaut", I think of Andy Levy saying that "a juggernaut is a jugger that has been to space." pir_laugh2.gif

It's good to see you're back and building!

Aye, still building. pirate_classic.gif Due to various circumstances I actually have a little more time for buliding than say last year. So I'm trying to catch up with things a bit. Besides, right now I'm feeling this unstoppable urge to keep building, I haven't felt quite like this for... well, a while. I had some very unpleasant things happen to me last year too, so LEGO is almost like a therapy to me. All of this combined makes me want to build more and more and more. So until this changes, I will keep building. pirate_laugh2.gif

Also what material did you use for the sail?

The sails are made of thick and stiff paper. Actually that's the part of the building process which I like the least, as it has nothing to do with LEGO, you just have to take paper and scissors and make the sails. Unfortunately, custom sails are the only option with ships this size, as any official LEGO sails are simply too small.

That is one awesome ship. I always thought the lego ships were lacking in some way, but this blows me away

Thanks everyone! 14 sails in one ship is indeed my highest number so far. For a hull this wide (and long), you really need to provide a lot of sail surface, otherwise it might look too slow!

On a side note, as mentioned above, I am currently working on two more vessels. One of them will have official LEGO sails. Actually it will be a weird combination of a MOC and a MOD - and it's the first time I've attempted something like this. Still, I'm having a lot of fun with it. The other one will be a 100 % MOC, which could go either way with the sails - at the present stage it looks like she might accomodate original sails or a set of custom ones. I'll make the choice later, when she starts nearing completion. And I still can't decide which faction she will belong to - I'm just certain it won't be the pirates this time.

Everything about this is amazing. I especially like the spare hook hands in the captain's quarters lol....

Juggernaut -- possibly my favorite word -- is a perfect name for the ship of a marauding band of dreaded legends.

...and finally a good use for two hundred minifigure stands! Lovely ship.

Thanks mate!

Yes, those minifig stands were quite useful here. I will definitely use them for other ships in the future too! pirate_classic.gif