Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Haunted Mine

The Haunted Mine

Hidden within the Shadow Mountains, only assessable by either Putrid Creek or the treacherous Hidden Pass, ghost drums within the Haunted Mine echo in the moon lit night . Four greedy miners have come to the mine to extract its treasures. Unfortunately, they did not heed the warnings of the reluctant towns people within Grave Stone. Legend says that the mine is haunted by the spirit of a great Indian warrior and that within the depths of the mine, his ancient weapons are still burried, cursed for those who desecrate the chamber. But the curse has not stopped miners from digging within the dark caverns, some still burried under cave-ins within the deeper levels. What ancient curse will the miners unlock?

Pushing a mining cart along the rusty tracks on the ground level, one miner will make his way into a still functioning wooden elevator:

dsc00001.jpg

On the first level, there appears to be another cavern that has been boarded up with a "Keep Out" sign. Spider webs cling to Skinny Jim, the last unfortunate miner who died from putrid air that came up when the third level was dug. Better not go that way!

dsc00002.jpg

A large cave spider spins her web:

dsc00003.jpg

Further along level one, another miner has discovered a silver vein. He's getting ready to blast with a few pieces of dynamite:

dsc00004.jpg

Getting deeper within the mine, level two has some track and a mining cart:

dsc00005.jpg

Another miner is furiously picking at some silver. A small ladder leads deeper into the mine:

dsc00006.jpg

Level three is the deepest section of the mine. The cavern walls are much rougher and the light and air not as good as higher levels. The last miner is walking along the tracks noticing a large gold vein. Gold fever has begun!

dsc00007.jpg

A small lantern illuminates the cavern as a bat rests on a large rock:

dsc00008.jpg

Deeper within level three, at the end of the tracks, an open grotto will soon be discovered. Within the chamber are some ancient Indian artifacts. A small crevice within the side of the cavern wall leaks a small pool of water. The sound of drums can be heard in the distance...

dsc00009.jpg

A shot of the three lower levels:

dsc00010.jpg

And the entire mine:

hauntedmine5.jpg

Summary:

I've been wanting to design a multi-level mine for a long time now and have attempted to do so a few times in the past. None of them were worth sharing until now. The elevator does work and is a rather neat part of the design. The only thing that I wanted to do was include a lighting kit, but for some reason, my old battery case and two Lego lights are not working. I'm not sure if its the wires or the lights? - but I'll have to settle for no lights at this time. In regard to the black baseplates: I know that grey would have looked better, but I didn't have enough grey to make it work.

Hope you enjoy the Haunted Mine. Definately a bit different than previous Grave Stone MOCs.

Comments welcome.

Great design *y* *y* , and nice elevator *wub* .

That mine must have had a long history, with all those items sparse in it. Seems quite like a rpg videogame scenario :-P

LuxorV

Great design Brickster! Simple and effective way to build the mine carts! I really like the elevator and the dug up Native American artifacts on the lower level. Is that why it's haunted? Did they befoul an ancient burial site? Creepy...

I do wish the mine had a more interesting layout. Right now it seems too "stacked" if that makes sense. Maybe if there were just a little more on the ground level or something. I can't put my finger on it, but it just seems to be missing something. I don't know though, it has everything one would expect in a mine!

But it definitely makes a great addition to Grave Stone. I love it! *wub* I mean...That's some fon mine building thar, Brickster. It's a manly gun-toting outlaw of a mine, sure is! *sweet* *y*

That's a very nice MOC, TheBrickster!

I espacially like it because the mine has several floors and because of the nice little lorry on the tracks.

By the way: Is this little room on the left side which goes from upstairs to downstairs some kind of elevator?

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

A very nice work with a beautiful story indeed! *y*

That elevator

I'm very glad to see this new gravestone MOC especially because it's significantly different than the past couple ones you made and so very very unique in general. Caverns are among the very creepiest places to be creeped out and every clich

Edited by oo7

Awesome! A great mine you have, with a chilling backstory to go along with it! I love the elevator shaft, I tried to make an elevator in a futuristic castle I made, but it went horrible wrong. Design flaws and whatnot. :-/ But yours is great, it's all so neat! *y* *y* Keep it up, and I'm looking forward to your next Grave Stone creation. :-D

~Peace

Another brilliant Grave Stone MOC Brickster. I love these, and this one I love especially for the uniqueness compared with previous designs. I love the dead miner with spider web, and the indian burial ground adds a great, supernatural atmosphere.

My one problem like the others commenting, is that it looks a bit too neat, I would prefer the mine to look a lot more rough and not as tidy. Apart from that though I have no complaints, as this is a very welcome addition to the previous Grave Stone settings.

Batbrick gives it: *y* *y* *y* *y*

Batbrick-Jealous-Of-Brickster's-Building-Skill Away! >:-)

Awesome MOC Brickster! *y*

I've tried to make elevators in the past, but never got them to work... did you add a motor to it?

Great idea. I was thinking about this as well as I was toying with my old Lego power box. I couldn't get the thing working though. I really wanted to do lights. A motor would have been neat as well. As it stands, the elevator is a lot of fun.

Since this is set underground I believe you need to move away from the general architectural building style you constantly practice; remove the thin black plate type floors and add thick layers of brick-built rock that matches the colors of the walls around it. I also think it would be good to integrate come slopes into the walls making the tunnel less square and more round and put inclines on the floors and ceilings making some sections very narrow and others wider. It's basically just making the whole thing look more natural in general.

Thanks for the constructive feedback. Yes, I suppose the caverns could benefit from a rougher, more rock-like look as you've depicted. Seems most of you agree in this regard. I esp. like the idea of adding some slopes. Slopes would be great for the mining cars (fun!) . I thought about this early in the construction as well but didn't try it. I mentioned the use of the black plates (I did not have enough grey to work with), but larger grey base plates would have looked great.

I love the dead miner with spider web.

Originally, the black wall behind the web was a sliding brown door. When opened, there was a small ledge on the side of the mountain. It seemed a little awkward, so I closed it up and added the skeleton and web.

My one problem like the others commenting, is that it looks a bit too neat, I would prefer the mine to look a lot more rough and not as tidy.

I suppose you can call me a "tidy builder".

I'm going to snap a few more shots. I don't think the images I shared do the MOC justice.

In any case, thank you all for the comments/reviews. As you are all excellent builders, I value your constructive suggestions for improvement. I also had an idea for a very different Western MOC in the near future.

I was going to suggest to replace the black plates with big slabs of brick built rock and to make the mine look a little less neat, but now I finally got around to posting some other guys already beat me to the punch. Other than that I think the concept of a multi layered mine is brilliant, and I love the overall look of your creation. So a big thumbs up from me! *y*

I'm going to snap a few more shots. I don't think the images I shared do the MOC justice.

________

Cool, its a very good layered mine, I'm sure we would all like to get a better look at it.

________

I also had an idea for a very different Western MOC in the near future.

________

Can't wait!

________

What's the curse anyway?

_______

Actually, thats what I like about this Grave Stone MOC, it doesn't have an outright, described curse. I like it because it is more open to interpretation, such as the indian burial ground part at the bottom. Very vague and mysterious! *skull*

Batbrick Away!

What's the curse anyway?
Actually, thats what I like about this Grave Stone MOC, it doesn't have an outright, described curse. I like it because it is more open to interpretation, such as the indian burial ground part at the bottom. Very vague and mysterious! *skull*

Good question Phes, but Batbrick seems to know my style of story-telling. The Phantom Rider and Grave Stone very much hides in shadows. Never are the stories nor the characters seen in the clear light of day. Clues can also be found among other MOC stories. I would point you in the direction of Putrid Creek Mill to shed some light. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------

EDIT EDIT EDIT

-------------------------------------------------

I was able to get my old 4.5 V battery box working and have added two lights to the mine (behind the torches). I think it looks awesome! Take a look:

light1.jpg

light3.jpg

Very nice light effects, indeed *y*

Did you cunsult our expert, Dr.S? :-P

LuxorV

Great work! *sweet* I love the working elevator; is there any track for the carts in it? Contry to what most other seem to be saying, I like the walls and floor as they are. This is a mine after all, not a cave, so IMHO the wall should be largely straight. Besides, this is your style and I don't want you to change too much otherwise you wouldn't be you! I have always seen your MOCs as attempts to make possible official sets as opposed to hyper detailed oh-my-gawd-that-looks-real creations. To me your MOCs are more about the idea and story, and less about fancy techniques. The lights work great too. Hopefully Lego will bring them back this year. They have been implying that lately...

You don't know Doctor Sinister? Shame on you! :-P But seriously, I'm surprised you don't know him, he has made several vignettes with some amazing lighting effects:

Ah yes, I do recall seeing the first scene with the knight and dragon. Very nice. Doctor Sinister is definately a master of the lighting effects.

Is there any track for the carts in it?

Yes, on the top, level one, and the bottom floor. My intent was to stagger them a bit. I do have enough track from the Dwarf Mine set.

Contrary to what most other seem to be saying, I like the walls and floor as they are. This is a mine after all, not a cave, so IMHO the wall should be largely straight. Besides, this is your style and I don't want you to change too much otherwise you wouldn't be you! I have always seen your MOCs as attempts to make possible official sets as opposed to hyper detailed oh-my-gawd-that-looks-real creations. To me your MOCs are more about the idea and story, and less about fancy techniques.

Thank you Sinner. I appreciate your comments most of all. My style is pretty simple- perhaps from early building experiences with Lego. I truly have trouble with SNOT and other fancy techniques with Lego - although I do admire those that build this way.

I do enjoy the story aspects to a great degree. Thank you for pointing that out, and acknowledging my building style. I suppose I'm a better story-teller than builder.