Pimbo

[Microchallenge] A mysterious chest, floating in the sea...

"When something happens in the sea of storms, nothing happens, it's just another vessel lost" - intro to an old pirate song

dsc_0009_.jpg

Prepare to repel boarders! A small Oleon brigantine enroute from LeBellan to Granoleon has come under attack from a pirate ship. The inexperienced Oleon captain has inadvertently allowed the pirate vessel to come withing boarding distance - grappling hooks were thrown, it seems there's no fleeing from this fight.

dsc_0023_.jpg

The Oleon crew fiercely resists the attack, but it's clear they're outnumbered, outgunned, and no match for the bloodlusty pirates that eat a crew like this for breakfast, every day!

dsc_0024_.jpg

The pirates are commanded by the vicious Guillaume "I'd rather cut in half than give quarter" DeBurgess. He is the kind of man people tell horrific tales about to scare kids and adults alike.

dsc_0025_.jpg

dsc_0026_.jpg

The small Oleon marine complement knows - this is going to be a fight to the death, and honestly, their chances are slim.

dsc_0043_.jpg

The Oleon gun crew has already been incapacitated - but their four cannon are no match for the large pirate ship's 14 guns anyway...

dsc_0072_.jpg

Juan Gabriel de Companhia, a renown Oleon scholar and avid collector of... stuff... is travelling aboard the ship as a guest.

Realising his predicament, he quietly opens the cabin window and prepares to lower his travel trunk into the water. Inside it is stored his most prized posession - and Juan Gabriel is determined to do everything to prevent this from falling into the wrong hands.

dsc_0177_.jpg

And so the chest, with it's mysterious contents, is cast off, drifting in the Sea of Storms... while the unfortunate Oleon vessel is starting to burn, and will never reach it's port.

So - here's the challenge. Post a picture of you BoBS character retrieving the chest from the sea, be it washed ashore or sighted while afloat in the water, and revealing it's contents!

Is this a contest? No, I just thought it would be fun!

Are there any prizes? No - well yes, whatever is in that chest.

Could there be something in the chest that influences the game mechanics? Obviously not, this building challenge is unsanctioned.

Can multiple BoBS characters recover this chest? Sure, why not, the more chests the merrier

Very nice idea and ships, I do really like your entry-sentence!

Really nice challenge!!!

Are those ships made for Bobs or did youjust modify already existing ships? :)

How did you made the sails?

I like this! very nice sails!

reminds me that I can just print or draw a flag, instead of using two streamer bricks of an almost colour.

I love the micro scale copy to make the perspective, very clever.

I don't have any time till Wednesday Rodsh is still 5 days away from the attack position by that time that chest is either found or sunk I suspect.

Bart

Very nice idea and ships, I do really like your entry-sentence!

Thanks, it's from Pirates With Attitude if I'm not mistaken! pir_laugh2.gif

Really nice challenge!!!

Are those ships made for Bobs or did youjust modify already existing ships? :)

How did you made the sails?

I was truly caught off guard by the launch of BoBS, so yes I built all of this in a weeks time. The color schemes were a surpirse to me. So, this was a hasty build, the ships are just for this photoshoot. They don't even have a full larboard side (portside for you modern people). The sails are just colorprinted paper, I used some templates for size from the sail library topic here on Eurobricks and the flags from the intro topics.

So, builds for this challenge should be registered as freebuilds in the webform. Correct?

No, like I said, it's unofficial, it has nothing to do with the BoBS game system. I'm not a BoBS admin, even worse: I don't even have a BoBS character (yet)! pirate_sceptic.gif This is just something that happens in the world of BoBS, and the world is bigger than the game.

Great story (love the opening quote), builds, and challenge! I especially like the sails! And the forced perspective with the microships is well done.

You need to get cracking on a BoBS character. This contribution is so good, I'm anxious to see what you do with a sigfig. Please, give us more!

Wow awesome that you pulled this off so quickly! It would be great if you joined the searats with this character! You can even use the Oleon vessel as a captured vessel which would fit for the free ship licence :)

Wow ! Really good idea !

An unofficial challenge from a personal initiative on the first week ! Great ! You did this really good and fast !

You should enter in BoBS rapidly ! With such good ideas, no doubt you'll have a leading position... Haha !

Just a thing : is the build for this contest have to be a microbuild ?

Oh ! And do you want the MOC be posted in this topic or just a link to the build ?

I'll give it a try when I'll have time. Good idea !

"When something happens in the sea of storms, nothing happens, it's just another vessel lost" - intro to an old pirate song

"You are now about to witness the strength of nautical knowledge." :grin:

Nice boats! Lovely presentation of your microchallenge. I especially like the forced perspective.

I don't have any time till Wednesday Rodsh is still 5 days away from the attack position by that time that chest is either found or sunk I suspect.

Don't worry, there's a chest for each and every one of us - this is age-of-sail quantum mechanics at its finest! pirate_laugh2.gif

Wow awesome that you pulled this off so quickly! It would be great if you joined the searats with this character! You can even use the Oleon vessel as a captured vessel which would fit for the free ship licence :)

It is my understanding that the free ships have to be very small. Sea Rats already hold a special place in my heart, but Corrington, with its philosophy, is calling my name....

Just a thing : is the build for this contest have to be a microbuild ?

Oh ! And do you want the MOC be posted in this topic or just a link to the build ?

Well, I suppose the build would just have to show your character revealing the contents of the box, so it wouldn't have to be very elaborate. In the meantime, the real contests have already started so you'd better invest your percious time in those!

But yes, a simple photo in this topic would be fine - I'm just curious as to what you all think could be in that chest......

Then the chest might show up sometime too :)

free build ships small? I thought they had a 32 studs water line limit too?

Great builds for an unofficial challenge. Probably should have "unofficial" in the title. :wink: Nice job on the Sea Rat flag.

Then the chest might show up sometime too :)

free build ships small? I thought they had a 32 studs water line limit too?

The 32 stud ship limit is for the Challenge II build From what I understand you get a free license for a class 1 or 2 ship, basically a sloop or cutter. Anything bigger you have to have enough DB to buy the license if you want to license it for the game. I don't think there is a limit size for free builds.

No, like I said, it's unofficial, it has nothing to do with the BoBS game system. I'm not a BoBS admin, even worse: I don't even have a BoBS character (yet)! pirate_sceptic.gif This is just something that happens in the world of BoBS, and the world is bigger than the game.

Microchallanges being run by a non-leaders is fine. For future reference, you need to contact and coordinate with at least one member of the BoBS leadership team. Then, you can ensure your micro challenge doesn't conflict with upcoming challenges and your challenge could have bonus points for involved factions. :thumbup:

It wasnt till i took a second look at those ships that i realized how "small" they are.

So much details gone into these, and the outcome is just stunning.

Man, youve done a really good job here ! pirate_oh3.gif

As you can read here: Captain Rodsh found land

Rodsh did find your chest:

24212821645_c642ac6bfe_z.jpgmicro challenge by Bart, on Flickr

The contains was a bit of a disappointment though.

A ships compass, a hand held compass, a diamond, a coin and a old fashion golden chalice.

although those things would all make some money, if it was just for the chest it would hardly be worth it.

Bart

PS I'm sorry the picture is fuzzy. working on that.

For a while there I was afraid the chest wouldn't be recovered... But the first recovery efforts are taking place! Who would have thought the man's most prized possessions could be such a valuable source of potassium! pir_laugh2.gif

Hi,

My character, Felipe de la Manzana, found a strange chest floating at sea !

He opened it and it contained some tribal stuff with a note.

23982829390_9caa880b43_z.jpg

More explanations in the presentation of my ship : The Appleseed