EB News Presents Jocko!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Shadows

Shadows

• Free Online Spell Checker

Member: 1558

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:19 AM

For this airing, we'll try something new with the fonts, just like we always do, which doesn't make it particularly new, but who asked you? >:-(

This time, I'm in blue italics, both when speaking normally and when heckling Staudie, he'll be in festive halloween orange when asking questions and generally being annoying, our esteemed guest Jocko will be commenting in green to match his hat, and Hinckley will be in red to match that spot on his head where the troll kept whacking him in his excellent Dwarves Mining Comic!

Welcome to another exciting episode of EB Community News, I'm your host, imperialshadows, and standing over there in that big pit of snakes is cub reporter Staudie, practicing for some upcoming Indiana Jones related work. At least that's the excuse I'm using for making him do that.
>:-)

Tonight, we're joined by none other than Jocko, best known for his ability to put up with Hinckley, but after this interview you'll see just how much more than that he really is, so let's get started! In a slightly different twist, I'll be asking a lot of the questions tonight, but between snake bites, Staudie will be pitching in as well, so watch those fonts and know who you're reading!

Q. Before diving into the LEGO portion of the program, let's find out about one of your hobbies, and an impressive one at that. Tell us all about that incredible pond and waterfall project Hinckley was kind enough to share with us.
A. It was a mission I had to create a cool creek, waterfalls, and pond in our sloping front yard. Once we moved in, I just started digging and didn’t stop the madness until two months later. It was quite strange that I did so much in a short time, usually at night and on weekends. But today, the vision has paid off and the pond and waterfalls are quite nice. We really don’t have to do too much to manage them and the goldfish are growing big!!  I just hope they survive the winter.
Hinckley adds: I came home from a rehearsal at one in the morning one night and Jocko had floor lamps strung along the path he was digging for light. He dug until the sun came up...and that was just one day out of the first two months. I thought I had moved in with a madman...
Always knew I wasn't the only one out digging at night. Er, nevermind.

Q. Brand of vodka?
A. I like pear-flavored vodka and black cherry vodka, but also regular vodka. Generally, any premium brand will do.

Q. With or without LEGO shaped ice?
A. Without! We don’t do Lego ice here :-)

Q. Any laundry tips?
A. Wash with like colors and don’t let your laundry sit in the dryer too long, or else it’ll be wrinkled again!
Hinckley adds: Shut up! Don't let your face get wrinkled!

Q. What do you think of Lego? Does Hinckley allow you to mess round and fiddle with his lego, and his mocs?
A.  I think Lego is cool, but I only have big ideas for them, like building big buildings and houses. I don't get into the details too much. Hinckley rarely allows me to play with them and when he does, he is very specific about how I play with them - which pieces, etc. He wants me to have fun, but he is a bit nuts about his collection and that it be played with properly. But his secret goal in life is to get me to like them enough to allow him to build a whole building dedicated to his collection...which maybe will happen someday. But I don't think he wants me to really be an AFOL. That would be too much!

Q. Did you ever collect any lego before or do you now?
A.  No. I played with Capsela as a kid, Tinkertoys, trains, matchbox cars, army men, and lots of buildings -- and I blew things up with fireworks (planes, cars, etc.). Also had model rockets.

Q. I belive you are the only POAAFOL around, so the answer to this will be intresting. What is your best lego related moment?
A.  Going to Legoland California twice - pretty big moments. Potential trip to Billund will be a new zenith...for Hinckley!

Q. How did the avatar creation process go? A lot of hand slapping as you went looking in drawers and Hinckley panicked thinking you'd disrupt his organization, or did you just sneak down there when he wasn't looking (somehow managing to bypass the security lasers, of course)?
A. He actually provided me with a very organized process for the avatar. First, he started with the head...and he brought me dozens of heads to choose from, then hundreds of torsos organized in three bins, then dozens of legs sorted into binds, then head-wear sorted into bins, and finally implements/weapons, all sorted of course. It was like building a Mr. Potato Head, but without the starch.
Exacly how I request my underwear when Staudie does the laundry, no starch.

Q. We've seen some pictures of the infamous basement. What's it like living over all that ABS plastic and knowing it's multiplying at a rate somewhat similar to Hinckley's level of insanity?
A. Like any obsessed person and their obsession, I wonder when it will lead to a murder-suicide. Or maybe an accidental death via some quirky LEGO irony.
Sounds like a great idea for a vig!

Q. Speaking of Hinckley's insanity, I've heard that there was an incident involving his desire to keep empty LEGO boxes and a compromise that came out of it. Details?
A. If we kept all of the boxes intact, we seriously would have to buy a second home or a storage unit, so instead he (and I) cut out all of the fronts and backs of the boxes so he could keep those pics and we trashed the other parts.
Hinckley adds: Jocko actually had a nightmare about our first apartment burning down because I wouldn't throw the boxes away. That's right...
If someone wanted me to cut up my boxes, I imagine I would be considering the aformentioned murder-suicide!

Q. How did you like making your first vignette, The Whack of Sir Dillon?
A. The first vignette was fun, but I don’t quite have the patience for excessive vignettes like Hinckley. Luckily, his are pretty funny!

Q. What do you Think of the members here?
A. It seems there are about ten people in the world as obsessed with LEGO as Hinckley and I wonder where you all find the time to play so much! But I like everyone's sense of humour.
Oh, I assure you, we're all dead serious. *wacko*

Q. Do you know any members here, IRL, exept Hinckley?
A. Nope. Not yet. We are hoping for a trans-Atlantic visit by some members soon.

Q. Ok, what I really want to know is am I annoying? X-D
A. You know, I haven't been around long enough to determine that, but I'm already fairly sure you are.
The kid forgot to ask him this question and we'd bugged him enough times for answers, so I'm just making this one up, but trust me, it's right.

Q. Can you give us some dirt on Hinckley? X-D
A. Oh, I could give you dirt, mud and muck, but that would take the mystery out of it. He is a good guy and just a touch obssessed with certain toys and songs. Sorry if I'm so boring right now. I just had to hang out with Hinckley while shopping for paint, lamps and window treatments and so now I'm just tired. He of course, is very energetic and back down in his lair playing with LEGO.

Let's wrap this up with the question everyone has been wanting to ask.

Q. Last but certainly not least, does Hinckley frequently dance around in his skivvies to Dave Matthews Band, or does he occasionally mix it up with other groups? Do you join in sometimes?
A. Ah, you have nailed him on that one. The basement does afford him the freedom to do just as you suggest on a daily/nightly basis. And yes, he does sometimes leave the house and realizes that there are real people who live near us...and some are just as fun as online LEGO friends. However, they do not quite “get” him like you guys do. So ultimately, back to the basement and the eventual murder-suicide that I mentioned previously :)

So there you have it folks, the scoop on Jocko, with a tiny side of our newest Global-Moderator Hinckley thrown in for good measure. Yes, that's right, shudder in fear, the whacker is now officially empowered to do some real whacking! ;-)

Can I get out of this snake pit now, pleeeeeease?

Oh, in a minute, I just need to tell a story first, so you hold on... Once upon a time, way back in 1817, I was born in a small village outside London.

*two hours pass, Staudie is about to pass out*

Well, I had just turned 19 and wanted to see the world, so I hopped a freighter headed for the continent and ended up making port in Hamburg.

*two more hours pass, Staudie has a glazed over look in his eyes, but that isn't anything new*

So there I was, just inside the gate of an old abandoned castle in the Carpathian Mountains, looking for refuge from a storm, when the most hauntingly beautiful woman appeared in front of me, almost as if she'd just stepped out of another dimension. As she approached, I couldn't help but notice the glow in her eyes, but by the time I realised the situation, it was too late. Now, 171 years later, I've more or less accepted and embraced the situation. I never expected to end up a ...

HEEEEEEEEELLLP! *thud* *skull*

Well great, now that he's interrupted, I can't remember where I was. I'll just start over.

Once upon a time, way back in 1817 ...

*signal dies*

Edit by Hinckley: I just linked the pond thread to the first question. Thanks! :-$

Edited by Hinckley, 11 October 2007 - 08:45 AM.

Shadows is looking for stalkers. Yep, you heard me right. CLICKY!

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

#2 Hinckley

Hinckley

• Flying Hippo that Shoots Lasers out of its butt

Member: 486

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for the enlightening interview. It was really nice to learn more about Jocko! :-P

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Now playing Pudding–Head in TinyPiesRUs's Ragnarok 3, Heart of Darkness (like the documentary of Apocalypse Now)

#3 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Member: 1554

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:33 AM

Interesting interview! I was forced to flatten my boxes six months ago.... :'-(

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!

#4 Hinckley

Hinckley

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:34 AM

View PostSinner, on Oct 11 2007, 03:33 AM, said:

Although I'm sure Jocko and Coll were ecstatic, wasn't the incident somewhat humiliating and soul-crushing? :'-(

Now playing Pudding–Head in TinyPiesRUs's Ragnarok 3, Heart of Darkness (like the documentary of Apocalypse Now)

#5 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:38 AM

View PostHinckley, on Oct 11 2007, 06:34 PM, said:

Although I'm sure Jocko and Coll were ecstatic, wasn't the incident somewhat humiliating and soul-crushing? :'-(
Yes.  :'-(  I held off as long as I could with a complicated routine of putting the small boxes in medium boxes, the medium boxes in large boxes.... but ultimately I needed more room for Lego display, and I could only achieve that by moving stuff from my "work" room to the storage room. I need more space... :'-(

#6 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Member: 1771

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:41 AM

Nice interview, a way to know a little more about Jocko, have an insight on Hinckley's life in the Real World (a little Matrix-ish expression, I know), and to learn something about imperilashadows' originis X-D .

Too bad Staudie did not partecipate very much, maybe he was too busy with the snakes? *skull*

LuxorV

Looking for new decals or help customising your LEGO elements? Check the Minifig Customisation Index!

My Brickshelf --- My Flickr

#7 Shadows

Shadows

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:09 AM

View PostHinckley, on Oct 11 2007, 03:27 AM, said:

Thanks for the enlightening interview. It was really nice to learn more about Jocko! :-P
Always the last to know ... ;-)

View PostSinner, on Oct 11 2007, 03:38 AM, said:

Yes.  :'-(  I held off as long as I could with a complicated routine of putting the small boxes in medium boxes, the medium boxes in large boxes....
Oh no... I'm at that phase now. I've even been opening sets I'm not ready to display, putting the contents into gallon ziplock bags, then sliding that back in the box and using the spare room (usually half the box) to hold smaller boxed sets. I got a lot of room out of things like the TIE collection that way. I really hoped it would be enough to save me, but your post is like a vision of the future yet to be... :'-(

View PostLuxorV, on Oct 11 2007, 03:41 AM, said:

Nice interview, a way to know a little more about Jocko, have an insight on Hinckley's life in the Real World (a little Matrix-ish expression, I know), and to learn something about imperilashadows' originis X-D .

Too bad Staudie did not partecipate very much, maybe he was too busy with the snakes? *skull*
LuxorV
Thanks! This interview helped show that pretty much everyone here was already a little whacked before the Whacker and the Walrus even started officially.

Staudie asked some questions and collected information, but he wasn't sure what angle to take on this one, so I just sort of winged it. In the past, he's asked all of the questions, so it was nice for him to get a little break, if you can call the snake pit a break >:-)

#8 Brainbox

Brainbox

• A real Joe 90

Member: 1092

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:03 PM

View PostSinner, on Oct 11 2007, 09:38 AM, said:

I held off as long as I could with a complicated routine of putting the small boxes in medium boxes, the medium boxes in large boxes....
I did that as well, but now I too have had to start flattening my boxes (sounds painful), and they're all going down the side of my wardrobe. Well, half of them are. The other half are up in the loft, behind some shelves, which are behind large piles of bags with assorted rubbish, etc in. We really need to clear the loft...

Thanks for another interview, which even had a special treat in that we not only learnt about one member, but two. Keep up the good work guys.
Yep, I'm back! Be afraid...

My Brickshelf Gallery

#9 Stauder

Stauder

• Beware, he's back!

Member: 1134

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:12 PM

*Walks in and looks at everyone stareing at his dead stunt double in a snake pit*
What? I have my rights....

Anyway Good job Staudie! And Shadows... Meh...

PS - RAS_74 You had better answer or Ill send the angry mob after you!
Posted Image
The above is a paid advertisement by EuroBricks News FLC (Fake LEGO Company). Eurobricks News FLC is 45% Stauder™ (The Annoying Parts), 25% ImperialShadows™ (The Funny Parts), 10% Whitefang™ (The Reviewsy Parts), 7% Zepher™ (The Female Parts... er...) and 7% Stash2Sixx™ (The Photographic Parts).

The previously stated ingredients of EuroBricks News FLC are a trade secret and if you tell anyone I will stab you. In the eye. With a titanium spork.
EuroBricks News FLC is a Trademark of the EB News Team. © EB News 2006 -THE FUTURE!™

#10 casewindu

casewindu

• Extreme Tie General

Member: 1257

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:19 PM

Another nice interview guys and thanks to Jocko for participating! I dont collect many boxes yet I do also have to put the little small ones inside the big ones for more room, I need space to live aswell!  :'-(  ;-)

#11 Starwars4J

Starwars4J

Member: 257

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:43 PM

I used to have the same problem with boxes...at first I kept them all, then when I realized how stupid that was I kept just the Star Wars ones...then I realized that I don't get any real enjoyment out of them, and they were just a fire hazard.  I know some people collect boxes, and they were all perfect, so I made a topic for a day to see if anyone wanted them, no replies.  So I just threw them all out.

It feels good to throw boxes away these days  >:-)

#12 El Bucanero

El Bucanero

• Kiwi addiction!

Member: 851

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:58 PM

Staudie's dead??? Let's have a par.... funeral.. *sad*

Heheheh, sorry to hear about your boxes Hinkie. X-O  I also have to just throw them away. Although I think I'm trying to keep them from now on.

Thanks for the great review! Now I also know a bit more about Jocko..

#13 yellost

yellost

Member: 876

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:39 PM

Really nice interview! And congrats to Hinckley for his new promotion (just when I thought EB couldn't get any crazier  X-D  ooh dear... Now we are in trouble)

I used to sell my boxes on BL for some time, but it was a bit too much fuss for what I gained from it, so I stopped... Though I still do open my store from time to time, during holydays mainly (I'd never have guessed how many people actually buy empty boxes, though *wacko* )
Someday, the whole Universe shall bow before my genius... or at least the cat... maybe...

And on for my Brickshelf gallery...

#14 andy_0306uk

andy_0306uk

Member: 1850

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:48 PM

Yet again a great interview.  Always good to get insights into other members

View PostSinner, on Oct 11 2007, 09:33 AM, said:

Something strange must have happend in the Galaxy as it was about six months ago that I too started to flatten my boxes.  About the same time I realised I really didn't need to keep all the plastic bags either (yes, I even kept the opened plain bags)

#15 Stauder

Stauder

• Beware, he's back!

Member: 1134

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:55 PM

View PostMr Tiber, on Oct 11 2007, 07:58 PM, said:

Staudie's dead??? Let's have a par.... funeral.. *sad*

Party!?!?!  >:-(  >:-(  >:-(  >:-(  >:-(  >:-(

Where?  :-P  X-D

Stauder
Posted Image
The above is a paid advertisement by EuroBricks News FLC (Fake LEGO Company). Eurobricks News FLC is 45% Stauder™ (The Annoying Parts), 25% ImperialShadows™ (The Funny Parts), 10% Whitefang™ (The Reviewsy Parts), 7% Zepher™ (The Female Parts... er...) and 7% Stash2Sixx™ (The Photographic Parts).

The previously stated ingredients of EuroBricks News FLC are a trade secret and if you tell anyone I will stab you. In the eye. With a titanium spork.
EuroBricks News FLC is a Trademark of the EB News Team. © EB News 2006 -THE FUTURE!™

#16 Shadows

Shadows

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:46 PM

View PostStauder@55, on Oct 11 2007, 10:12 AM, said:

*Walks in and looks at everyone stareing at his dead stunt double in a snake pit*
What? I have my rights....
Anyway Good job Staudie! And Shadows... Meh...
PS - RAS_74 You had better answer or Ill send the angry mob after you!

We couldn't actually afford a stunt double, so that's your twin brother Stinky! *looks around* Whoa, I just had a flashback to another thread ... *wacko*

#17 Sir Dillon

Sir Dillon

• Longs for the days of Wooden Ducks

Member: 435

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:54 PM

View Postimperialshadows, on Oct 11 2007, 08:46 PM, said:

We couldn't actually afford a stunt double, so that's your twin brother Stinky!
:'-( He was such a cool fellow too.
"I'm sorry, I don't have the time to build anything that doesn't directly promote me."

#18 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:08 PM

View Postandy_0306uk, on Oct 12 2007, 04:48 AM, said:

Something strange must have happend in the Galaxy as it was about six months ago that I too started to flatten my boxes.  About the same time I realised I really didn't need to keep all the plastic bags either (yes, I even kept the opened plain bags)
I used to keep all of my bags too, but now I only keep the printed ones. *wacko*  (Numbered ones don't qualify!)

#19 Hinckley

Hinckley

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:41 PM

View PostSinner, on Oct 11 2007, 04:08 PM, said:

I used to keep all of my bags too, but now I only keep the printed ones. *wacko*  (Numbered ones don't qualify!)

The bags?! Like the little bags the pieces are separated into? Everyone's entitled to their own blah blah blah and no offense and junk, but the bags? That's looney! Hands down whack-a-mole capital-L Looney!! *wacko*

Edited by Hinckley, 11 October 2007 - 09:41 PM.

#20 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:49 PM

View PostHinckley, on Oct 12 2007, 07:41 AM, said:

The bags?! Like the little bags the pieces are separated into? Everyone's entitled to their own blah blah blah and no offense and junk, but the bags? That's looney! Hands down whack-a-mole capital-L Looney!! *wacko*
How dare you?! I challenge you to a build off.... oh..... errr arm wrestle?

I throw them out now, honest. Well, most of them anyway!  :-P

#21 Lt. Col. Thok

Lt. Col. Thok

• Captain Blue Hair is the best!

Member: 1188

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:34 PM

Hinckley, just let go.  These  boxes will find a better place.  And bags?  Thats just weird.... :-|
"Once, there was only darkness. If you ask me, the light's winning"

#22 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:56 PM

View PostLt. Col. Thok, on Oct 12 2007, 08:34 AM, said:

And bags?  Thats just weird.... :-|
Two against one, that's not fair!  8-° Perhaps I love lego too much....

#23 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:29 AM

View PostSinner, on Oct 11 2007, 11:56 PM, said:

Two against one, that's not fair!  8-° Perhaps I love lego too much....
Hmm.... so perhaps I shouldn´t tell someone about my plan of giving my shiny
MF to myself as a christmas present.... gift-wrapped.... na, not the box.... every
single brick that is....   8-|

#24 Shadows

Shadows

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:53 AM

I used to save the bags too... *wacko*

I'd carefully open them, either top or bottom at the seam, pulling evenly and gently to prevent unnecessary ripping, then when I was all done, I'd put all the small ones in the larger ones until I was down to as few seperate parts as possible. Then they would go in the box.

I throw them away now, unless they're from polybagged sets. I still keep those, and definitely open them neatly to prevent damaging the pretty picture on the front. X-D

Not a word. Not a single word... I'm warning you! >:-(

#25 Corvus

Corvus

• ¡ʎpuɐɯ ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ

Member: 1483

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:55 AM

View Postimperialshadows, on Oct 11 2007, 06:53 PM, said:

Not a word. Not a single word... I'm warning you! >:-(

Em... Word.  :-P

I have a few boxes I've kept. They're stored under my bed.  :'-(
True happiness: looking inside the box to see a perfectly flat instruction manual.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users