• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Zarkan

Zarkan

• Greviously Renamed Gungan

Member: 569

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:33 PM

Posted Image
Remember when I said in my review of 7090 to expect a review after I went to ToysRus? Well, somehow things didnít work out, but fortunately Iím finally reviewing my latest purchases, starting with 7091 Catapault Defense, which happens to be one of the best sets in the Castle line.

The Box and Instructions:

Lego box art is at itís highest point ever these days, with lots of special effects and great action poses. The castle theme is no exception, and 7091 isnít either. Iíll let the box speak for itself:

Posted Image

I love the back of the castle boxes as well, since they give another action scene and other neat info like a layout of all the accessories.

Posted Image

The Contents:

Only the bare essentials as usual: piece bags and instructions. I seriously wish they still put mini catalogs inside sets like they did when I was young, but I guess they are too expensive to make or something. Ah well, canít have everything.

Posted Image

No picture of the instructions this time, but since that isnít necessary Iíll just say that they are fine, and do not have a problem with distinguishing dark gray from black.

The Pieces:

Hereís your basic shot of every piece included, minus a few extra pieces like an extra Viking horn and black skeleton leg. Not too shabby for a 10 USD set.

Posted Image

Thereís a lot of nice pieces in 7091, as you can see (and this doesnít include the accessories or minifig parts!). The brown plates, wheels, and spoked things are always useful, and the dark blue and gold slopes are really cool. However, thereís also a fair amount of technic in here, so be warry.

Posted Image

As usual for the castle line, 7091 has a heaping helping of accessories. Most of them are old pieces recolored, but the ball on chain (whatís the actual name, could someone tell me?) and the shields are brand new. I actually like the new skeleton weapon, since itís fairly detailed and was really the only way TLC could make a part like that. And yes, the shields ARE printed (quite nicely too, if I do say so myself). Plus, you get Viking horns (always useful to have), a grey boulder, a basket, and 3 helmets. Not a half bad deal, eh? Oh, who am I kidding Ė itís awesome!

Posted Image

Minifigures:

Posted Image

Ah yes, one of the highlights of any castle set. You get 2 soldiers and 2 skellies this time, all with different weapons. The two soldiers are just regular Crown troops with different faces Ė nothing special, except that they are awesome anyway. The skeletons on the other hand are much more interesting: an archer and a black skellie! Archers cool, of course, but I know many donít like the printing on the black skeletons. Well, let me say that I donít mind it so much. The only real problem is that the eyes are dark red instead of just red, which makes the printing a bit less noticeable. And Iíve been through it before that the new skeleton molds in general donít bother me at all Ė go skeletons!

The Finished Set:

Alright, thereís two builds in this set, and Iíll start with the smaller: the skeleton barricade.

Okay, so itís nothing special, but itís cool all the less. The shield on the front and the slanted spears are nice touches.

Hereís just how the skeletons can tower over their own barricade: with a little step.

Ah, the catapault. The lovely catapault. Seriously, I love TLCís design. Very effective, and also very realistic, especially compared to KK. Love the side details and the swiveling base, and you gotta love the clever use of that basket.

Playability:

Yes, Iíve made it a tradition now to write stories for any castle set I buy (and this isnít the last one, you can be sure of that!). Hereís one featuring everything in 7901:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Oh, and hereís a small ship I made out of all the pieces in this set plus a couple extra figures and weapons from my copy of 7901. Not half bad, IMO, considering what I had to work with.

Posted Image

Overall Rating:

Presentation: 9/10
Pieces: 8/10
Minifigures: 9/10
Finished model: 9/10
Playability: 8/10
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Final Score: 8.6/10

Once again, I highly recommend the reviewed set. Castle is possibly the best theme this year, and this set is one of many that prove it. As with all castle sets, itís best if you buy several if you want to truly enjoy it, but this set alone is also impressive in both design and pieces and minifigures. Get at least one if you have even a slight liking for Castle.

Edited by KimT, 10 August 2008 - 01:31 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 UniqueBuilder

UniqueBuilder

• Mr. Dark Ages

Member: 1075

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:49 PM

Very nice review! Seems like I'll be getting my first Castle set soon.. *wub*

View PostGrevious, on Oct 10 2007, 09:33 PM, said:

Most of them are old pieces recolored, but the ball on chain (what’s the actual name, could someone tell me?)
That would be a flail. ;-)

"I respect 50 Cent. He's the only person known to make 'me', 'me' and 'see' rhyme with the letter P."
-erikutt

The Dark Ages got me... Smell ya later!

#3 Derek

Derek

• Sith no more

Member: 2075

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:54 PM

Wow thanks for the review!  8-į I already have the other two set (theyre fantastic  *wub* ) and i know ill be getting this one soon!

DP8

View PostIgnited_Impulse, on 20 September 2010 - 01:51 AM, said:

Dude, you've got a Final Fantasy sig and you're on a lego forum....arguing about elves. Try not to think you're some cool guy because you don't play D&D
My Flickr Account

#4 hewkii9

hewkii9

• Can't figure out a sigfig!

Member: 618

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:57 PM

Very nice review! I like the amount of pics and that alternate model. I wouldn't have thought of making a ship from those parts, I once made a larger, Crownie-ized skellie barrier instead.

My Brickshelf - My Flickr

I was Amelia Warhog in Mafstraw Manor, Christopher Wilder in Prohibition Mafia, one half of Rocky Broomwell in Hogwarts Mafia, and Hans Keen in Eurodina!

#5 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:13 PM

A very nice review with good, although perhaps a little too big, pictures....  *y*
Now I realized that this catapultīs able to swivel, thatīs neat, thank you!  X-D

#6 TheFrisian

TheFrisian

Member: 1992

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:17 PM

The pictures really tell all, nice review Grevious! I especially liked the story, great sense of humor!

#7 Cabby

Cabby

Member: 985

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for this nice review. Nice comics presentation, too.  *sweet*

Makes me want to get some new Castle sets even harder, now.  :-$

#8 Batbrick

Batbrick

• I'm back ...with a banana

Member: 1917

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:09 AM

Thanks for the review Grevious! I already have this set, but I loved your comic and that nice alternate model!  *y*

TTFN!  >:-)
And see and comment on KDog's hilarious Space Comic here:
Posted Image
Click on pic to see and comment now!  And please add this ad to your sig so more people can see this fantastic work!

Batbrick Away!

#9 Doctor Sinister

Doctor Sinister

• Grunts on the BBC

Member: 1736

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:20 AM

That was a fun review, I picked up a couple of these on holiday in France and it was one of the main reasons I went all-out and bought the rest of the Castle range!

Dr. S.
Doctor Sinister, Emperor Eternal of Tabletown!

Visit the new and improved- Tabletown Forums - discuss the world of Grunts!

Posted Image

#10 Johnny 5

Johnny 5

Member: 1999

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:27 AM

So far of this line i have 7009 and 7090
you have now convinced me to get this one also
nice review

btw i think the name for it is mace

#11 Hinckley

Hinckley

• Reay for 2017!

Member: 486

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:01 AM

Great review Grevious!!  *sweet*  *y* Nice job, thanks for sharing. Great comic and I especially love that you gave us an alternative model, something LEGO neglects to do anymore... |-/

Thanks again! *wub*

#12 trooperdavinfelth

trooperdavinfelth

Member: 1223

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:09 AM

That's a superb review if I ever saw one, and another great story!  *y*  It's a good review even though I got the set 4 months ago. :-P  This just reinforces my like for it. :-P
Join the Clone Commando Pod Republic Commando Clan!
In which users from all over the world join to share their love of Star Wars: Republic Commando!

Join the Clone Army Builders Guild!
In which users from across the globe come together to share their love of Lego Star Wars and MOCing!

For gosh's sakes, people! THEY ARE PRELIMINARY!

On the semi-crappy looking early 2009 sets.

#13 Dragonator

Dragonator

• Blurry? No! Furry? Who knows?

Member: 2052

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for the review, the comic was great!  :-D

Your alternate model is great as well, I would never have thought of building a ship out of a catapult! :-P

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

Feel like relaxing with a blood-thirsty game? Check out the LEGO Mafia, RPG and Wargames forum

#14 Vader

Vader

Member: 83

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:24 AM

Great review, this is one of my favorite sets from the new castle line. It's simple and yet so effective, oh and great comic you have there *y*

#15 Shadows

Shadows

• Free Online Spell Checker

Member: 1558

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:20 AM

Excellent review! Showed everything in detail then added a fun twist at the end.

Another set I pretty much knew I needed to buy is confirmed. *y*

Shadows is looking for stalkers. Yep, you heard me right. CLICKY!

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

#16 DNL

DNL

• Evolution Spectacular

Member: 2016

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:56 PM

nice review *y*
the comic is very funny :-D
i don't have this set 8-|  but i'm going to buy it soon.

#17 Zarkan

Zarkan

• Greviously Renamed Gungan

Member: 569

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:44 PM

Thanks everyone for all the comments!  ;-)  My next review is most likely going to be the Toa Mahri I bought a long time ago; I also typed up a review for her but haven't bothered posting it! Ah well, I'll get it up eventually....  X-D

Edit: Gah! I just realized how many posts I had! Better post something else on the boards quickly....  :-P

Edited by Grevious, 11 October 2007 - 08:45 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#18 julencin2000

julencin2000

Member: 1835

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:51 PM

LOL what a review!!! I love the story ^_^

#19 iamded

iamded

• Cannot neigh to save his life.

Member: 1225

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:16 AM

Ah yes, the good ol' Catapult Attack.

Nice review, and what a great comic, I loved it. *y*  :-D You've inspired me, all I need now is a camera! :-P Great job, keep up the good work, and I'm looking forward to more reviews! *y*
~Peace

Edited by iamded, 12 October 2007 - 10:30 AM.

Check out Eurobricks' RPG, Mafia and Wargames forum for the fun times!

#20 Wout

Wout

Member: 1485

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:08 PM

nice review, I like this set alot. *y*  :-)
Duke of Equestria

#21 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Member: 1554

Posted 13 October 2007 - 01:48 AM

Great review!   *sweet*  I wasn't aware that the catapult rotated either... This set isn't on my buy list though as it is all more of the same for me.

Thanks for the cool MOC!  :-D  I always plan to add a MOC to my reviews but I always run out of time.... :'-(

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!

#22 TheFrisian

TheFrisian

Member: 1992

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:26 AM

View PostSinner, on Oct 13 2007, 02:48 AM, said:

Great review!   *sweet*  I wasn't aware that the catapult rotated either... This set isn't on my buy list though as it is all more of the same for me.

Thanks for the cool MOC!  :-D  I always plan to add a MOC to my reviews but I always run out of time.... :'-(
True, there are too many catapults already, and in my opinion some with a better design as well. But my lack of interest in this particular set doesn't reflect at all on my opinion of this review, which I enjoyed very much! Please continue making great reviews like this one Grevious. *y*

#23 Derek

Derek

• Sith no more

Member: 2075

Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:15 PM

i just got this today. It is amazing like my other two castle sets: the joust and the crossbow. I am currently starting to save for 2008 but for Christmas i think i want the Skeleton Carridge and the Naboo N-1 Fighter.

View PostIgnited_Impulse, on 20 September 2010 - 01:51 AM, said:

Dude, you've got a Final Fantasy sig and you're on a lego forum....arguing about elves. Try not to think you're some cool guy because you don't play D&D
My Flickr Account

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users