Rosenbauer Titan

11 replies to this topic

#1 Lasse D

Lasse D

• Pink Poodle

Member: 1144

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:26 PM

Posted Image

With UniqueBuilders fire truck competition I finally got to complete this years old airport fire truck (ARFF).

Posted Image

It is an Austrian airport fire truck from 1987 which you can see a lot of pictures and details of here

It fits 4 minifigs (a driver, medic and two firefighters to man the canon). The doors open upwards like on the real model and the strange looking console in front of the driver is actually also like in the real truck.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
There are some small details around like the details beneath the lids on the sides and rear suspension, but the main function is without doubt the water canon.

The canon is made entirely of LEGO bricks. 4 big pneumatic pumps pump air into the air tank from above. The tank is filled with water which is pushed out through the nozzle. The tank is pretty small and if you use all 4 pumps, it will be emptied in just 2-3 shots.

I bought this new airport to show how the canon works, but I'm not really good at these action pics. Try to hold a (slow) camera with one hand while using a home made water pistol with the other and you will understand why the picture is so blurry - this was the best shot out of 10!

Posted Image

PS. Should you ever get the same idea of testing your water pistol like me, make sure not to test it up against a radiator - they are really hard to get dry again!   :-|

(The Brickshelf gallery)
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Bonaparte

Bonaparte

• Member of the stwnfbjs Club

Member: 822

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:33 PM

Wow, this is a great firetruck!
And it has real water... did you invent that system yourself or was something like that already done in a Lego set?
I'm not a city expert, that's why I ask.

Anyway great work and good pictures.
And I love the action picture.
Maybe next time you can ask someone to do the water pumping while you take the pics  :-D

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#3 simonwillems

simonwillems

• Technic Campaigner

Member: 1116

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:39 PM

In the contest thread I already said how much I like this machine (very much!) but the more I look at it the greater it becomes.
Never used the airtank as a watertank before, isn't it difficult to fill it with water? And to get all of the water out again before using it with pneumatics again?

The suspension in the back is brilliant, making something look that good in such a limited amount of space requires real talent in building.

As said before: it has my vote!

*wub*

#4 Commander Red Hat

Commander Red Hat

• Leader of the Redcoats!

Member: 1914

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:45 PM

Awesome firetruck! *wub*

That cannon is really inventive, simple but effective.
You've got my vote!
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#5 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:58 PM

The amount of details, both for the outside and the interior, and that wonderful
working water cannon´re truly amazing! A brilliant work indeed!  *y*

#6 Zzz

Zzz

• Flick-fires the hell out of aliens!

Member: 1281

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:50 PM

A working water cannon!!!

I cannot believe it..  *wub*  

I had one as a child, and I had lots of Lego.. But having it now together is like a dream come true!

It must be awesome fun to play with that monster..!

Thanks a lot for sharing and for the pictures!

:-)

oh... and I simply love vehicles that fit several minifigs... and the door is magic!

Sweet!!
"I am Iron Man."  -  "I am Groot!"  -  "I am Batman!"

#7 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Member: 1554

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:19 AM

Oh my M&g!Bl*y gawd, that it incredible.  *wub* I never even thought of doing that.   8-°   (True I don't even own an airtank, but that is beside the point.  :-P ) This is a great model even without the suspension and water cannon!

You are one of my favourite builders!  *sweet*

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!

#8 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Member: 1771

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:33 AM

It's amazing 8-° , with all those details, and the water cannon *wub* .

One of the greatest MOCs I've seen.

LuxorV

Looking for new decals or help customising your LEGO elements? Check the Minifig Customisation Index!

My Brickshelf --- My Flickr

#9 Hinckley

Hinckley

• Long Ranger Constraction

Member: 486

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:03 PM

You never cease to amaze me Lasse D. Thanks for sharing your amazing creations with us again and again. I loved this before I realized it actually works and now, seeing how ingenious you've made it, I love it so much I want to marry it!! *wub*  *wub*  *wub* Your take on realistic LEGO vehicles is amazing.

I wondered what you think of the Jack Stone truck caps being used in the new '07 sets...

#10 Christian

Christian

• *Still* The Tallest AFOL on the planet!

Member: 325

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:52 PM

WOW!! I dont know what to say. That thing is absolutely amazing!

The suspension is ingenious, I've never seen it done that way before.
The Watercanon is just a thing of beauty! I would love to see a video of it!

Posted Image

Go here and find out what the academy is all about!

My Brickshelf gallery

My Flickr

#11 Lasse D

Lasse D

• Pink Poodle

Member: 1144

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:48 PM

Thank you everyone. I'm glad you like it so much. It was pretty much ignored when on display in one of the city layouts at the last LEGO fan weekend (in Skærbæk), so I thought it would be much less positively received. Such feedback will surely make me build more in this scale in the future *sweet*

Now for some answers.

View PostBonaparte, on Oct 7 2007, 11:33 PM, said:

did you invent that system yourself or was something like that already done in a Lego set?
(...)
Maybe next time you can ask someone to do the water pumping while you take the pics  :-D
I can't remember seeing another LEGO MOC with water like this, but I'm sure this can't be the first one. There has to be someone who has had this idea before me and shown it on Brickshelf. I got the idea from one of my old water pistols where you pump air into a tank which can be released.

I wonder how I should ask: "Hi... would you like to pump my new toy for me while I take some pictures of it?" :-P

View Postsimonwillems, on Oct 7 2007, 11:39 PM, said:

Never used the airtank as a watertank before, isn't it difficult to fill it with water? And to get all of the water out again before using it with pneumatics again?
(...)
The water... err, airtank isn't hard to get cleaned. You simply let it stay for some hours with one of the holes downwards and wait. The drops inside will seek towards the hole and you can blow them out. Similar with the hose.

The trickey part is keeping water out of pneumatic pumps and cylinders. They get damaged by water, so I had to make sure the pumps couldn't get wet. To load it with water you have to take the hose with the pumps from the tank and the front off of the nozzle like this:
Posted Image

To get water inside you can simply suck from the nozzle - I know it isn't an elegant solution, but it works.

View Posthinckley39, on Oct 8 2007, 07:03 PM, said:

(...)
I wondered what you think of the Jack Stone truck caps being used in the new '07 sets...

If only I could get them in black, which is a more correct color than the silver I'm currently using. I have actually received my first Jack Stone minifig last week. It will be used when I make something for my new artillery  >:-)

By the way. You said you were gonna marry the big white truck. Polygamy isn't legal in my country! :-D

View PostChristian, on Oct 8 2007, 08:52 PM, said:

I would love to see a video of it!
You can see how badly I handle a camera when there's action involved. I'm terrified for what would happen if I were to be given a video camera!

#12 Freddie

Freddie

Member: 670

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:02 PM

That is a truly awesome MOC. All those [i]functions/i] crammed into what basically is a mini-fig scale crash truck. I've been experimenting with suspension design in minifig vehicles myself, and know how hard it can be to get something functional without it taking up to much space.

View PostLasse D, on Oct 8 2007, 10:48 PM, said:

I can't remember seeing another LEGO MOC with water like this, but I'm sure this can't be the first one. There has to be someone who has had this idea before me and shown it on Brickshelf. I got the idea from one of my old water pistols where you pump air into a tank which can be released.
The most similar and/or related MOC using water I can remember, was a fountain - which had its hydrapneumatics motorised, so it would shoot some beams by itself. The water in that MOC went through a loop of sorts, so it didn't need refills to often.
It was displayed and used in a town layout on a show, if I remember correctly. It probably is out there on brickshelf, somewhere.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users