Dannylonglegs

[O-H06] Power Dynamics

Tags: Science

Planet: Farmolis

19662343639_fcc3ea3c91_z.jpg

"Log Date 447, This is Dr. Danielle Long, Performing weekly verbal summary of progress report on selected Top-Secret Octan Science projects. Project 2, Code-name: Trooper 2 is progressing excellently. The body's mutation rates have been successfully slowed while subject remains in induced coma. Subject's cryogenic freezing chamber is functioning adequately, and the tubing is checked twice a day, along with vitals. Subject's transformation is fascinating, and we've recorded a myriad of changes on the genetic level. It's hard to believe that even Kawashita was capable of creating such a destructive super-predator. Max security protocol is followed strictly. Project 13, Code-name: Project Icarus is at a stand still. We can't quite figure out what the Blue Box recovered from the ancient space facility on G09 is intended to do, nor how activate it. I have decided to have the object delivered to Kodan Black, to see if he can figure it out, but as it is, I see no reason for the project file to continue taking up space on my desk. It's just a big blue box, after all. Kodan can handle it. *snip* Summary Complete. Now, I have a meeting to attend. Dr. Long out."

Later.... In the Human Resources building in Headquarters City on Farmolis.

21478294384_8a87047aa0_z.jpg

Dr. Long: "Book three adjacent rooms. This weather has delayed take-offs, so we'll have to stay the night on Farmolis."

Odus Dillberg, Dr. Long's Secretary: "You got it boss!"

Dr. Long turned to face the man before her, as her secretary left to attend business.

Kevin: "Have a seat, Danny. Can I call you Danny?"

Dr. Long: "I'd rather you didn't. So, Kevin, It's been a while since we last met in person."

22101294295_1e37cfe6c5_z.jpg

Kevin: "We haven't needed to in a while." He beamed.

Dr. Long: "Well, your office looks nice. A lot of red."

Kevin: "Well, while I do love all Octan colours equally, some colours are just more equal than others, don't you agree? And, by the way, I simply love the Octanis Orchids. They brighten a room like only Shawn from sales ever could. May he rest in peace."

Dr. Long: "I didn't give you those flowers... I just engineered them."

Kevin: "And by doing so, you gave them to us all, for a reasonable price."

Dr. Long: "I trust you didn't call me here just to discuss my bachelor's degree final project?"

Kevin: "Of course not, Danny, we're here to talk about your recent performance. You are aware that Pombe has been promoted to a higher position than yours, yes?"

Dr. Long: "I am... aware." She stated, through grit teeth.

Kevin: "Ok, good. If you didn't know that'd be a little awkward. Glad we got that out of the way. So, any notion as to why that may be?"

Dr. Long: "I avoid making judgements as to how Corporate makes its decisions."

Kevin: "Excellent answer! The less one knows, the better! But in your case their reasoning is fairly straight forward. You've really been dragging your feet on some of your projects, Danny."

Dr. Long: "Science must be performed by the book, and protocol must be followed. All this takes time."

Kevin: "Well, I think we both know that your investigation of 'the facility' could have been a bit quicker... and certainly more productive, considering we've got nothing to show for it. Time is money Danny."

Dr. Long: "Of course. You know... we could have discussed this over a holo-chat."

Kevin: "Well, There's another reason Pombe has been promoted so fast."

Dr. Long: "Go on?"

Kevin: "Well he's great! The man's funny, well adjusted, and he brings in plenty of new customers and employees on a daily basis! It's unbelievable all the stuff he get's away with!"

Dr. Long: "oh."

Kevin: "Unbelievable. Really. We've watched your security tapes. He's not cheating. He is simply amazing."

Dr. Long: "We could have done this in a Holo-chat."

21481507973_0cd6486332_z.jpg

Kevin: "You've observed this, right? How he seems to be able to do whatever he likes? With no consequences to his actions? How even physics seems to bend to his will? And how the paperwork you file on him never seems to bother him in the least? You've sited his dress code violations literally 420,247 times."

Dr. Long: "I recall each and every one. "

Kevin: "Well, Corporate wants to know how he does it!"

Dr. Long: "Huh?"

Kevin: "We've considered he may have some passive psychic powers capable of casually warping reality... and we want to know if we can monetize this! This is why I called you here. I want you to look into this and try to figure it out. You're a scientist. You can handle this. Corporate has its utmost faith in your abilities.... That's why you got so far in the first place, after all!"

Dr. Long: "Hm. Ok, fine. I will look into Pombe's 'Reality warping' potential."

Kevin: "There's our Danny! Keep up the good work, you! Excellent meeting! And remember, miss one week of work and the next person behind you takes your place! No pressure!"

Dr. Long: "Of course. Have a fine evening, Kevin."

Later, in Dr. Long's hotel room on Farmolis.

21500934743_4de2b53494_z.jpg

Dr. Long: "That was sufficient, Odus, you're no longer needed."

21935155759_af1ae76435_z.jpg

Odus: *nervous laughter* "Alright Danielle."

Dr. Long: "Put a shirt on, and comb your hair. I won't have my secretary appearing like a slob. And when you've finished that you may leave. I have a Holo-Chat to attend in 10 minutes."

Odus: "Cool, I'm on it."

21933907070_277e8a45a3_z.jpg

Dr. Long: "OK, Great."

A few minutes later.

22122100545_c7eba42177_z.jpg

Dr. Long: "Hello, Kodan, this is Dr. Danielle Long. Can you confirm that you have received the files on Project Icarus? The Object should arrive at your location in a week's time....."

The following day.

21912935850_abb192da98_z.jpg

Bob: "How're you doing Danielle!? Long time no see, eh?"

Dr. Long: "That's still not funny."

Bob: "Hehe, well, I think it is. I've been busy piloting! We should catch up some time, though."

Dr. Long: "Yeah"

Bob: "Do you remember how we used to look up at the stars on those chilly autumn nights on earth? And you used to point out where Andromeda was, and the constellations? I was thinking about that the other day. They're so different here. Do you ever just... look at the stars?"

Dr. Long: "No."

21933982540_545bea61d2_z.jpg

Extra pictures:

21933823670_5beb211679_z.jpg

22122017165_d421368fc1_z.jpg

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Bob: "How're you doing Danielle!? Long time no see, eh?"

That's totally something I could say :grin:

Something I could say too is: where's the science in this build? :look:

I think the science part is somewhere between "Later, in Dr. Long's hotel room on Farmolis." and "Dr. Long: "That was sufficient, Odus, you're no longer needed."

That's totally something I could say :grin:

Something I could say too is: where's the science in this build? :look:

Glad I captured your character! :grin:

Well, the whole series of Vigs revolves around "Project Icarus" but it's all mostly administrative stuff. Originally I was going to do a (very) small lab scene, just to solidify all the science talk, but it looked rushed so I scrapped it and just took pictures instead. So, if I don't get credit for science because she's just talking about her science projects this time around, then that's alright with me. :classic:

I think the science part is somewhere between "Later, in Dr. Long's hotel room on Farmolis." and "Dr. Long: "That was sufficient, Odus, you're no longer needed."

That's one way to put it! :laugh:

:look:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Your story was excellent this week! I love the explanation on Pombe. It all makes perfect sense now. Poor Odus. I laughed at that one. I like the rooms you built as well.

Edited by SpacerSteve

Great series of vigs, Danny! The dialogue is fantastic. I really like the lamp design on Kevin's desk; I may have to steal that sometime. :wink::laugh:

This is great - I think you captured Kevin's character perfectly! Also, nice twist with the tie in to Pombe's story - I'm interested to see where you go with that one :classic:

Better pictures have been added, including a complete shot of Kevin's office, showing off an Easter Egg that I only expect Lucas to get. And Dr. Long's Bachelor's project, the custom made Octanis Orchid, inspired by the KimJongIlia Begonia. Also, Kevin's desk's plate of Awesumnium was inspired by the sorta-antagonist of Avatar.

22122017165_d421368fc1_z.jpgIMG_20151012_203556 by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

Your story was excellent this week! I love the explanation on Pombe. It all makes perfect sense now. Poor Odus. I laughed at that one. I like the rooms you built as well.

Thanks! :grin: This was all supposed to have taken place last week, but hell, I have a nearly-fulltime job and a full load of school in addition to this. I ain't an octopus! :laugh:

The explanation was OKed by Pombe, but its canonicity is up to interpretation. :wink: If you're more of a "realist," like myself and Epsilon, then you may take it for canon, but if you don't mind his artistic licence in physics, then you can interpret Dr. Long and Kevin as overthinking things and being total buzkills. :tongue:

Oh yeah. Odus gets the short end of the stick to be sure! :laugh:

Thanks! :grin:

Great series of vigs, Danny! The dialogue is fantastic. I really like the lamp design on Kevin's desk; I may have to steal that sometime. :wink::laugh:

Thanks! :grin: I'm glad you like the dialogue! A lot of thought went into it actually. :look::blush: And go ahead, It's a standard Octan lamp, and remember, "Andromeda Buys Octan! â„¢"

HA great build...science hmm more Biology or maybe some chemistry... :grin::devil:

Thanks! Although, I assure you... They have no chemistry. :laugh:

This is great - I think you captured Kevin's character perfectly! Also, nice twist with the tie in to Pombe's story - I'm interested to see where you go with that one :classic:

Thanks! Glad to hear you think I captured his personality! :classic: I think we may listen to the same podcasts... :look::wink:

And yes, I do have some plans for that... but they're pretty long term. I anticipate a slow boil, rather than a quick flambe. :wink:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Better pictures have been added, including a complete shot of Kevin's office, showing off an Easter Egg that I only expect Lucas to get.

Hah, I love it! I'm glad to see that Octan supports local community radio :grin:

Hah, I love it! I'm glad to see that Octan supports local community radio :grin:

Octan is all about that harmonious, efficient, business community! :grin:

The judges awarded you 4 points.

Thanks, the judges! :grin:

Solid office interior, I really like the desk!

Thank you! :sweet:

~Insectoid Aristocrat