D3K

[MOC] Recovery Vehicle/Tow Truck Mk II

Hi all!

I finished this build yesterday, and am quite happy with the resulting model, so I took it out for some pictures today. Unfortunately the batteries in the model died out before I had a chance to film it, so I'll have to do that tomorrow (feel like I need to prove that all the functions actually do work on this one :laugh: )

So here it is, the Tow Truck Mk II, a combination of a European truck with a typically American "rotator crane"(??) on the back (a Eurotator?)

800x531.jpg

800x533.jpg

First some information regarding this MOC (of course, you don't have to read it :wink: )

As many of you might know, I built a pneumatic tow truck/recovery truck roughly two years ago, and a lot of you even seemed to like that model! When I finished that model, I wanted to make an RC PF version with the same functions and body, and I also wanted to make one powered by just one motor, with function switching gearboxes as the ones you see in most of the official non-RC PF sets released by TLG.

Well, it only took about to years to get around to actually doing it! :sweet:

Due to the fundamentally different techniques building with pneumatics vs mechanical functions, some compromises had to be made, and some features could even be added!

Firstly, this model has no suspension. The back of the model is pretty densely packed with axles and gears and functions, so fitting live axle suspension while maintaining a somewhat acceptable overall rigidity in the model was deemed impossible (for me) very early on. Also, du to the various functions going to the front, suspension there was not worth it either.

Secondly, the swing-out outriggers of the original model from 2013 needed to be unnecessarily complicated, bulky, and not very strong, so I opted for an alternative solution.

However, I did manage to make the fourth axle steered, something the 2013 model did not feature :sweet:

As you can see, it uses the genreal colour scheme and a lot of the stickered pieces from 8109. The model was initially all yellow, like the last one, but I wanted to spice things up a little, and am very happy with the resulting colours :thumbup:

Okay, enough babbling, here are a couple of more pictures:

800x529.jpg

800x531.jpg

In the above picture, everything is deployed/opened.

The motorized functions are:

1. Tiltable cabin (small LA)

2. Front stabilizers/outriggers (small LAs)

3. Front winch

4. Middle outriggers (worm drives, self locking geometry)

5. Rear stabilizers/outriggers (small LAs)

6. Wheel lift elevation (small LAs)

7. Wheel lift extending (large LA)

8. Wheel lift tilting (small LA)

9. Crane rotation (worm drive)

10. Crane lifting (large LA)

11. Crane boom extending (worm drive/z8 gear/gear racks)

12. Crane winch

Other features are:

-Openable doors

-Working V8 engine

-Openable side- and rear panels (to access battery box, as well as some chains and attachments for the towing fork)

-Proportional steering with Ackermann geometry on axles 1, 2 and 3.

800x530.jpg

The crane superstructure has two gearboxes for the three functions up there. That means there is a constantly running single axle going through the turntable, and the cranes functions are selected up top. This allows for infinite rotation, with none of the cranes' functions being affected.

800x518.jpg

Yeah, I know that bull barmight be ever so slightly overkill, but IMO it's not too bad :blush:

800x518.jpg

It can even lift things directly in front of it :classic:

800x474.jpg

800x491.jpg

Lastly, the underside shot:

800x533.jpg

Also, for those who haven't seen them yet, here are a couple of quick renders showing the internals of the model:

800x450.jpg

And with colour coding for the various functions

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

All pictures and renders can be found in higher resolution in the appropriate Bricksafe folder.

Overall I'm quite happy with the resulting model, but even though all functions work, at least one of them is not ideal (cabin tilt; I'm looking at you). Also, I feel the crane superstructure could be made more elegant.

Anyway, hope to be able to make the video tomorrow! :thumbup:

Comments, thoughts and criticism is as always appreciated! :classic:

Edited by D3K

Thought your last one was great. This one's phenomenal!

Edited by grum64

in one word. Stunning :wub::thumbup::wub: .

Your first edition had only pneumatic and whas already great, but this second version :wub_drool:

This is a truly phenomenal MOC which easily matches up to the standard of Sariel's Tow Truck 2. However, I can't decide which one I prefer?

Thanks to all, as usual it makes me very happy that you seem to like it! :classic:

The Color on this monster is beautiful :)

Love this truck! Colour scheme is very good for this type of truck. Design is looks similar to 8258 from the box.

Thanks, I'm pleased with the colour combination myself, and the few, but fitting, stickers also help alot I think :classic:

in one word. Stunning :wub::thumbup::wub: .

Your first edition had only pneumatic and whas already great, but this second version :wub_drool:

Thanks man! Yeah, it is pretty similar in scale, form and function, but yet so incredibly different. This is my first large scale model of this type (by that I mean multiple functions from single motor and gearboxes)

This is a truly phenomenal MOC which easily matches up to the standard of Sariel's Tow Truck 2. However, I can't decide which one I prefer?

Thanks a lot, while I myself think it's still pretty far from Sariel's, most particularly in regards to looks. I hardly have any system bricks, so it's kinda difficult to get that level of details.. not that I'd be able to do it :laugh:

Anyway, I like a lot the Technic look of models, if done right :thumbup:

Can I say this is your best work so far? :)

You can, and I appreciate it! :classic: I too think this is one of my best ones, at least externally!

That's unbelievable!!! How much time are you building it?

Thanks! Not that long actually, and believe me it shows on the inside :blush: . I want to make a revised model, now that I have the looks and functions nailed... "cleaning it up" and building it around the functions. As it is now, it has some needlessly complicated geartrains and attachments due to me not being willing to dismantle larger portions of it to get inside to that one gear that need to be moved for better functionality.

I'll publish an .ldr of the chassis and its functions for those interested in having a look, but I think it would be very difficult to recreate it.

Best D3K,

This is the first time, that i look over and over again back.

For almost a studdles MOC it's have the right looks and loaded with great functions.

6 wheel steering, 6 support jacks, lifting cabin, working V8, At least a 180 degrees crane rotation(mayby 360 !?) ect,ect..

For me your best model you make it jet :thumbup: :thumbup:

Incredible work! I love the single motor powering so many functions, and that they're all mechanical. It screams efficiency and lower weight. The colour scheme looks very good, too.

I just love these function-packed-one-motor-geartrains and yours is an exceptional dense one :wub:

Fantastic. Also having a gearbox in the crane is supersmart, saving space and adding functionality :thumbup:

I am not sold on the colourscheme and the sidewalls though. I know these trucks look like this (and I don't like that look in real life either), but I prefer a bit more colour (like black or dark grey mudguards, crane and wheellift for instance) and less beamstacking. But if you want to mimic real life than it is a job well done.

I'd encourage you to redesign the model around the gear train (but that is because I'm a sucker for minimalist designs) I expect it will make your design even more beautiful

BTW: You mention the steering is Ackerman geometry. Judging from the picture of the underside you mean both the relative steering angle between the axles and the steering angle difference of the two wheels per axle? That would be just awesome

I must say this is awesome :) I have built your 6x6 modular truck n that was a good complex n challenging build, but I'm looking forwRd to (hopefully!!) getting instructions for making this beauty to sit alongside the modular truck n the Arocs when I get it at Christmas :)

i know how hard could be this exercice!

Good job to have achieved all these functions in one relatively compact package :thumbup:

Hello D3k,

A very nice model, good work putting al those functions driven by a single motor in one model.

Hello D3k,

A very nice model, good work putting al those functions driven by a single motor in one model.

Again, thanks to all for the kind words! :thumbup:

Best D3K,

This is the first time, that i look over and over again back.

For almost a studdles MOC it's have the right looks and loaded with great functions.

6 wheel steering, 6 support jacks, lifting cabin, working V8, At least a 180 degrees crane rotation(mayby 360 !?) ect,ect..

For me your best model you make it jet :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks! And yes the crane can rotate infinitely :thumbup:

Incredible work! I love the single motor powering so many functions, and that they're all mechanical. It screams efficiency and lower weight. The colour scheme looks very good, too.

Actually the weight of the model is VERY heavy, but I did have to make sure all gears and axles are free spinning. I was actually surprised that the L-motor was able to run all the functions, and even some simultaneously (as you can see from the video)

I just love these function-packed-one-motor-geartrains and yours is an exceptional dense one :wub:

Fantastic. Also having a gearbox in the crane is supersmart, saving space and adding functionality :thumbup:

I am not sold on the colourscheme and the sidewalls though. I know these trucks look like this (and I don't like that look in real life either), but I prefer a bit more colour (like black or dark grey mudguards, crane and wheellift for instance) and less beamstacking. But if you want to mimic real life than it is a job well done.

I'd encourage you to redesign the model around the gear train (but that is because I'm a sucker for minimalist designs) I expect it will make your design even more beautiful

BTW: You mention the steering is Ackerman geometry. Judging from the picture of the underside you mean both the relative steering angle between the axles and the steering angle difference of the two wheels per axle? That would be just awesome

Hi, and thanks! They're not my favourite kind of trucks when it comes to looks either, but I can see why they do it!

And yes, the steering lock is different on the three steered axles, and the front two have Ackerman. Granted; the Geometry is not perfect, as can be seen from this picture:

800x531.jpg

The way I understand it, ideally the green lines of both axles should converge in the centre of the differential. However, I also think that perfect Ackerman is seldom used in real vehicles, due to the dynamic forces at play when the vehicle is moving. This is also true to LEGO :laugh: Anyway, it is an approximation, and it actually does come in to play when driving the vehicle around :classic:

I must say this is awesome :) I have built your 6x6 modular truck n that was a good complex n challenging build, but I'm looking forwRd to (hopefully!!) getting instructions for making this beauty to sit alongside the modular truck n the Arocs when I get it at Christmas :)

Thanks, and I'm glad you liked the 6x6. Sorry I haven't made any more "modules" for it :blush: Hopefully you have yourself perhaps?

EDIT: Oh, and I do hope to make a slightly improved version of this truck, and hopefully instructions for it as well :thumbup:

Wow..... this thing is wonderful. The renders really let it flex its technical muscles......

Thanks, and yeah, the digital models are great for showing off how things work, but also to help myself keep track of things! :grin:

i know how hard could be this exercice!

Good job to have achieved all these functions in one relatively compact package :thumbup:

Yes indeed, I bet you do! :wink:

Anyway, as promised, here's the video showing all the functions, hope it is satisfactory!

Edited by D3K

Congrats whit this blog :thumbup:

http://thelegocarblo...r-of-functions/

Heyy, that's a first :classic:

Thanks for pointing this out, have seen a lot of awesome MOCs both Technic and System on that site :thumbup:

However I had to giggle a little at the [...] vast array of Power Functions components [...] :laugh: Yes indeed, all two of them! :grin: