Fortress weren't build for nothing and the Galenas Fortress wasn't different: builded at mid mountain, in a small plateau, it dominated the union of two valleys and the traffic going on below. The mountains there were rich, under the forest cover, there were lead and silver, iron and copper, even gold was found; in this part of the mountains the mining of the galena, a mineral from which was extract silver and lead, was thriving. The work in the mines was hard, as the following refining, but it was profitable and needed: a lot of the refined metal was going in the other parts of Avalonia and as more were mined, less was imported from outside. Galenas Fortress, as the name said, was builded to control the mining and refining of the galena; a permanent garrison was stationed in the fortress, part of the refined metal too was stored there before being shipped away and the commerce was strictly controlled.

Today, a single messanger was en route of Hidden Garden, to carry the latest monthly accounts and come back with fresh orders.

20686210665_52b3645978_c.jpg

20686185985_25368d786c_c.jpg

20676918412_c1fc1caa88_c.jpg

20498182670_13a4a43708_c.jpg

20065534013_4a4bf8fa24_c.jpg

= = = = = = = = =

This was a troubled MOC, I started it months ago, like January/February but I couldn't finish it, then I worked on it another time around mid spring and then finally, like a week ago I finished it! I wished I could do more than the simple walls, but I couldn't find good ideas/techniques to do what I had in mind.

It's been a while from my last freebuild, so I'm quite happy to post this! In mind, I have a small idea for another MOC to connect to this, but we will see!

I hope you Enjoy!

:sweet:

Fabulous build, Wedge! :wub: The way you angled the walls on either side of the bridge is fantastic and I really like how you brought the windows out a stud :thumbup:

The angled towers look amazing :wub: Great window design and mottling too :thumbup:

Edited by soccerkid6

Congratz on the odd angles, really nice! Maybe the build would come out better with a smooth black rectangular base underneath. I have problems accepting this as a "fortress", though. I assume this is only the gate part of it? Anyway good build :thumbup:

Very nice fortress Wedge, the angled sections are excellent, and I really like all the arrow slits you have there! :thumbup: Great job on the archway as well, and the Avalonian colors above the entrance are superb! :sweet:

Very nice, Wedge! I really think this looks great - it looks wonderfully functional, sturdy and realistic. The old and new grey, with the dark grey masonry bricks works really nice for texture, and by using mainly 2 x 1 bricks, it has a really nice brickbuilt look! :thumbup:

The offset arrow slits work really nice, and the gate and bridge looks cool.

I have two comments/suggestions:

1) Cheese slopes on the lower parts of the crenelations (aka on top of the wall) too would give it a cleaner look.

2) From the front, it looks really nice and sturdy, but from the top, it looks a bit skinny, and I somewhat agree with Exetrius. If it was more roomy, it would be more of a fortress. (Or, you could just have taken pictures from the front, so we couldn't see it's depth! :tongue: )

The background story for the fortress is really nice too - keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Excellent build, really linking the angled walls and the windows. Also the usage of old light grey bricks makes the walls look great!