Jocko's pond

31 replies to this topic

#1 Hinckley

Hinckley

• Kills for Cash?

Member: 486

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:58 AM

My partner, new member Jocko dug us a pond and waterfall...by himself...with a shovel. I helped one night, by mixing three pallettes of cements. Here is the result of three additional years of work that Jocko has put into our landscaping:

Posted Image
Overall shot, there are branches down everywhere from the storms that knocked out our power for 52 hours...

Posted Image
It starts at the top outside our front door

Posted Image
The water flows out from here...

Posted Image
and here...

Posted Image
and down a little...

Posted Image
to meet here...

Posted Image
flow past our big oak tree...

Posted Image
down a little hill...

Posted Image
and over a waterfall!

Posted Image
another shot of the waterfall

Posted Image
and another shot of the waterfall

Posted Image
then the water flows further down the yard...

Posted Image

Posted Image
Riley hunts for frogs...

Posted Image
and into the pond? (do you see a frog?)

Posted Image
the pond

Posted Image
do you see all 4 frogs?

Posted Image
goldfish!

Posted Image
Jocko has lined the water's path with lighting

Posted Image
good night!

and that's Jocko's pond. He has put a lot of work into it. It's his LEGO... :-$

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#2 john cleese

john cleese

Member: 610

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:12 AM

was it free? If it was then you have quite a friend there. It looks absolutely fantastic.

#3 Shadows

Shadows

• Awesome, brilliant, not redundant.

Member: 1558

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:19 AM

Right as I was about to ask for more images, they magically started appearing! It's like having some kind of remote psychic telepathy mind control thing going  *wacko*

That looks like an incredible about of work, combined with the whole sunlight thing ... *shudders*

I really like the waterfall, it has a 'controlled chaos' look. It's almost like an extension of the natural surroundings. I can't decide if looking at the project makes me tired thinking of all the work or relaxed from the serene calm it represents so well.

Ok, bottom line: I'm lazy, that's way too much work for me, but it's absolutely lovely.  *y*

Oh, and Jocko, welcome to the madhouse that is Eurobricks, that's one heck of a first MOC to show off ;-)

Shadows is looking for stalkers. Yep, you heard me right. CLICKY!

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

#4 Starwars4J

Starwars4J

Member: 257

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:36 AM

8-  8-  8-

That's absolutely gorgeous!  I'd kill for something like that  *wub*   You're a very lucky man, Hinckley!  Remind me one day when I have money to hire Jocko to do the landscaping for my house!  It's just...I'm totally blown away.  I love how it splits, and the WATERFALL.  Do you have any idea how much I love waterfalls?  No?  Well a lot, okay?  :-|

The lighting is just a wonderful bonus to this, and I love the frogs.  Don't worry Riley, you'll get 'em some day  *wub*

And you guys used cement for the lining of the pond?  Is that normal?  I thought the common practice was to use some sort of netting as a liner, is that the cheaper way and the cement is the right one?  I'm just asking because I've always been interested in having something like this...

Mindblowing job!

#5 Hinckley

Hinckley

• Kills for Cash?

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:52 AM

View PostStarwars4J, on Aug 28 2007, 02:36 AM, said:

8-  8-  8-

That's absolutely gorgeous!  I'd kill for something like that  *wub*   You're a very lucky man, Hinckley!  Remind me one day when I have money to hire Jocko to do the landscaping for my house!  It's just...I'm totally blown away.  I love how it splits, and the WATERFALL.  Do you have any idea how much I love waterfalls?  No?  Well a lot, okay?  :-|

Me too! *wub* And it's so hard to re-create the beauty of them in landscaping. Nature does a pretty good job herself, you know? And I find it near impossible to create a good brick-built waterfall...maybe some day. *sigh*

The lighting is just a wonderful bonus to this, and I love the frogs.  Don't worry Riley, you'll get 'em some day  *wub*

Occassionally she does...

And you guys used cement for the lining of the pond?  Is that normal?  I thought the common practice was to use some sort of netting as a liner, is that the cheaper way and the cement is the right one?  I'm just asking because I've always been interested in having something like this...

Mindblowing job!

There is a rubber liner underneath the cement. The cement is used mostly to shape and hold the flagstone in place. Riley's frog hunting tends to upset the stones unless they're mortared down somehow...

Jocko can explain more when he gets back! I'm sure he's going to love to hear the feedback!

#6 Ras 74

Ras 74

• Prince of PM´s

Member: 114

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:59 AM

Impressive... most impressive!

This really looks like a dream comming true.
If I had a house I really would like something like this.

Really looking forward to see it in reallity some day...

Nice work Jocko!

-Ras-
Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Please read the
Members Guidelines and check the Tutorials Index

Brickshelf Gallery

#7 Bonaparte

Bonaparte

• Member of the stwnfbjs Club

Member: 822

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:04 AM

You guys seem to live in a little paradise.
A lot of time and devotion must have gone into that garden.
It's amazingly beautiful.

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.

Posted Image

#8 Vader

Vader

Member: 83

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:17 AM

Wow that's one impressive pond you 2 have there.. 8-  

Having dug a few ponds myself over the years, i have a little understanding of all the time and effort it takes to create something that not only looks good but also runs right.

Seems to me Jocko has managed to do both and on a grand scale none the less.

Frog hunt on!

#9 Stauder

Stauder

• Beware, he's back!

Member: 1134

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:21 AM

Wow, awsome work. What aminals do you keep there? Exept frogs and goldfish?

Frog hunt On!
Yoda is first in lime me guess... Ye french stereotypes...  X-D

Edited by Stauder@55, 28 August 2007 - 08:25 AM.

Posted Image
The above is a paid advertisement by EuroBricks News FLC (Fake LEGO Company). Eurobricks News FLC is 45% Stauder™ (The Annoying Parts), 25% ImperialShadows™ (The Funny Parts), 10% Whitefang™ (The Reviewsy Parts), 7% Zepher™ (The Female Parts... er...) and 7% Stash2Sixx™ (The Photographic Parts).

The previously stated ingredients of EuroBricks News FLC are a trade secret and if you tell anyone I will stab you. In the eye. With a titanium spork.
EuroBricks News FLC is a Trademark of the EB News Team. © EB News 2006 -THE FUTURE!™

#10 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Member: 1554

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:03 AM

Wow!  *wub* That is really good! I wanted to make something that big, epecially the stream part, I even had delusions about having a bridge  :-$ but ultimately the back yard was too small and flat.  :'-(  (One of the many reasons why we sold the house.) Here is a picture for laugh value!

DSC05527es.JPG

Jocko 1 - Sinner 0

We had a few frogs in ours too, but being Queensland it soon became a hangout place for Cane Toads.  :-X The funniest part is that we set up a little golf course in our backyard and that was the water trap! :-P  (You can see a ball to the left.) Thanks very much for posting these great photos and giving me an inferiority complex. I'll have to show this to my wife....

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!

#11 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:15 AM

A very lovely work indeed!  *wub*
Hmm, perhaps you should go into the Pirate theme, Jocko, with that decent scenery....  *y*

#12 casewindu

casewindu

• Extreme Tie General

Member: 1257

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:38 AM

Thats a really nice pond Hinckley and well done to Jocko, my family would get a pond but we dont have a garden just yard!

I bet that was a really nice place to sale your little boat... well until Sinner took it! heartless walrus!  :-D

#13 Quarryman

Quarryman

• Pretty Princess in his Carriage

Member: 1620

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:55 AM

Really amazing and beautiful work! I can hardly imagine how much time, (and patience!) it must have taken to make such a lovely piece of work! *wub*

#14 PSPguy

PSPguy

• Didd Captin Crunch

Member: 1102

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:28 PM

That is amazing !! 8- KUTGW !!

#15 CopMike

CopMike

• All your baseplate are belong to us

Member: 148

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

Everything said already *wub*!

Posted Image On

copmike

Posted Image

#16 Scouty

Scouty

• [not worthy of classic film title]

Member: 863

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:09 PM

That is the best pond I have ever seen *wub* . I really like how it travels down down, vertically down, and into another pond. It's all very scenic and beautiful. Jocko did an excellent job on this three-year project.

Btw, your land and the bit of house I can see is also lovely :-) .
.Posted Image
"Mr. Nowhere" John Doe >:] | Bruno Bear, the watchmaker | Sassy Cooter | Scar Mimitsus >:] |
First Officer Commander Cameron Walters :3 | Casey Cat, Puuurfect painter | Sveinn, the Uninspired :3 | Scouty | L'il Scouty | Langston Lionheart >:]

#17 Hinckley

Hinckley

• Kills for Cash?

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:11 PM

View Postcopmike, on Aug 28 2007, 12:08 PM, said:

Everything said already *wub*!

Posted Image On

copmike

cool frog CM! Your creation?

BTW, your sig still says Sinner and I are bullying you and your avatar is clearly you bullying me stealing my ice cube tray! >:-(

EDIT:  :-$ Never mind. It appears to be different now. Your avatar is a revolving door! :-D Your sig is still wrong though!

EDIT 2: Nowadays, it's hard for me to tell if it's me you or Sinner talking. I read one of your posts and say "I didn't write that" :-D  :-D  :-D

#18 Corvus

Corvus

• ¡ʎpuɐɯ ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ

Member: 1483

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:33 PM

So hinckley, how long is that stream? And what a beautiful pond! And you have frogs. how dare you. >:-(  :-P

I'm going to have to  post some pictures of our pond once Maj is up... But I'll give you a hint: FIVE waterfalls! It's not as big as yours, and probably not as nice since we have a LOT of pine needles... So, the rest of our yard isn't as nice as yours. We never put down grass, so it's the local flora for us.

Edited by Mr. Mandalorian, 28 August 2007 - 06:34 PM.

True happiness: looking inside the box to see a perfectly flat instruction manual.

Posted Image

#19 CopMike

CopMike

• All your baseplate are belong to us

Member: 148

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:48 PM

View Posthinckley39, on Aug 28 2007, 06:11 PM, said:

cool frog CM! Your creation?
Tree Frog Sculpture (LLCA Ambassador Pass Exclusive)

View Posthinckley39, on Aug 28 2007, 06:11 PM, said:

BTW, your sig still says Sinner and I are bullying you and your avatar is clearly you bullying me stealing my ice cube tray! >:-(
No it doesnt :-P  ;-)!

Posted Image On

copmike

Posted Image

#20 Sir Dillon

Sir Dillon

• Longs for the days of Wooden Ducks

Member: 435

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:19 PM

I just have to echo what everyone else has said... this is absolutely beautiful. *wub* Very amazing work, Jocko.
"I'm sorry, I don't have the time to build anything that doesn't directly promote me."

#21 El Bucanero

El Bucanero

• Kiwi addiction!

Member: 851

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:14 PM

That's absolutly stunning!
Really beautiful!
I have no words for this beautiful pond..

Would be nice to see in LEGO! X-D

Mr Tiber

Edited by Mr Tiber, 28 August 2007 - 08:14 PM.

#22 Ras 74

Ras 74

• Prince of PM´s

Member: 114

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:04 PM

View PostMr Tiber, on Aug 28 2007, 10:14 PM, said:

Would be nice to see in LEGO! X-D
That could be a great idea to lure (se hinckley, Im learning) Jocko to start with LEGO  ;-)
Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Please read the
Members Guidelines and check the Tutorials Index

Brickshelf Gallery

#23 Jocko

Jocko

• Wee-yerd!

Member: 1916

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:31 AM

View PostSinner, on Aug 28 2007, 04:03 AM, said:

Wow!  *wub* That is really good! I wanted to make something that big, epecially the stream part, I even had delusions about having a bridge  :-$ but ultimately the back yard was too small and flat.  :'-(  (One of the many reasons why we sold the house.) Here is a picture for laugh value!

Jocko 1 - Sinner 0

We had a few frogs in ours too, but being Queensland it soon became a hangout place for Cane Toads.  :-X The funniest part is that we set up a little golf course in our backyard and that was the water trap! :-P  (You can see a ball to the left.) Thanks very much for posting these great photos and giving me an inferiority complex. I'll have to show this to my wife....

Great pond Sinner! I love the golf course idea. I'm obsessed with grass. I want it green, but then I curse it when it grows too fast and all I do is mow it. ok, i'm weird.

So what sins have you committed?

Was vodka involved?
cheers,
jocko

#24 Stauder

Stauder

• Beware, he's back!

Member: 1134

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:53 AM

View PostJocko, on Aug 29 2007, 03:31 AM, said:

Great pond Sinner! I love the golf course idea. I'm obsessed with grass. I want it green, but then I curse it when it grows too fast and all I do is mow it. ok, i'm weird.

Was vodka involved?
cheers,
jocko
He was a very noughty walrus... He posted it wome where.. Lemme find it...

EDIT - Cant find it...  :-|  Anyway it was something bout saluting a officer in the wrong way when he was in da navy (Or he still is? I dunno...) as far as I rememeber... And his officer called him sinner, and the nickname stuck...

Edited by Stauder@55, 29 August 2007 - 09:59 AM.

Posted Image
The above is a paid advertisement by EuroBricks News FLC (Fake LEGO Company). Eurobricks News FLC is 45% Stauder™ (The Annoying Parts), 25% ImperialShadows™ (The Funny Parts), 10% Whitefang™ (The Reviewsy Parts), 7% Zepher™ (The Female Parts... er...) and 7% Stash2Sixx™ (The Photographic Parts).

The previously stated ingredients of EuroBricks News FLC are a trade secret and if you tell anyone I will stab you. In the eye. With a titanium spork.
EuroBricks News FLC is a Trademark of the EB News Team. © EB News 2006 -THE FUTURE!™

#25 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Member: 1554

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:02 AM

View PostJocko, on Aug 29 2007, 10:31 AM, said:

Was vodka involved?
Unfortunatly no, the story isn't that exciting.  :'-(  Early in Recruit School for the Royal Australia Navy I stuffed up and saluted the OIC (Officer In Charge, i.e. The Boss) with my left hand. (For non military types this is wrong.) He shouted at me, "You Sinner!" before going off on some silly tirade about the history of saluting. This would have all been annoying as it was, but to make it worse the whole of Recruit School was there in formation. (About 500 people.) Thus I was/am called Sinner and I tend to use it more often than not as a screen name.

View PostStauder@55, on Aug 29 2007, 06:53 PM, said:

He was a very noughty walrus... He posted it wome where.. Lemme find it...

EDIT - Cant find it...  :-|  Anyway it was something bout saluting a officer in the wrong way when he was in da navy (Or he still is? I dunno...) as far as I rememeber... And his officer called him sinner, and the nickname stuck...
One, it was in my "Hi my name is" topic, and two, I am not in the navy anymore.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users