Space Terrapin

[O - G07] Cutting edge technnology

Spencer's Diary - 31 Maian 3815.

I'm on board the OCS 'Your paycheck could depend on this', on approach to Hennigan II.

Unit Manager Dorkness has been looking for ways to get back at me since I ran over the CEO's cat during his recent visit to Quantus III. He was certainly sniggering when he told me to report to Dr. Blomkampf in the Engineering Bay for a new assignment. I can't think why, the Doc seems like a decent enough old buffer, even if he does have his head in the clouds. Anyway I'm just about to find out.

17694868844_9dae94f6c6_n.jpg

"Ah! You must be the test driver Mr. Dorkness mentioned. Do come in, I think you’ll be most interested in what I have to show you.”

“What would interest me, Doc, is anything that will save me days of traipsing around the landscape looking for water sources.”

18291042336_d2cdf038ac.jpg

“I see. Well, if my calculations are correct, I may have just that. I’ve recently been studying the unique properties of Awesomnium when combined with lignin and cellulose composites…”

“Come again?”

“Wood.”

“Oh, right.”

“Please don’t interrupt my train of thought. It turns out that if you insert Awesomnium fibres into wooden materials, they generate a natural resonance field that is perturbed by the presence of nearby bodies of water. Optimize the geometry and movement of the field, and this perturbation translates into physical vibrations that can be detected by the highly sensitive equipment I’ve incorporated into my specially modified Div-9R walker. YOU are going to be the first to test this remarkable cutting edge technology in the wild!”

18317458045_3e4b3a0eee_b.jpg

“So… you want me to search for water by waving a pointy stick?”

“If you want to put it like that, yes.”

“And I suppose this walker is equipped with defenses against any possible hostile alien lifeforms?

“Oh dear me no! Any such thing would disrupt my delicate instruments. But you do get a roof in case of inclement weather.”

"Gee thanks Doc..."

17696786793_676077f7f7.jpg17694781874_c43903d94f.jpg

Ahahahaha! Octan Scientists have perfected the high tech dowsing stick technology! :laugh: perfect! Great clean build all around, and the walker itself is great too! :thumbs_up:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Nice walker with dowsing rod/stick/piece of wood! :sweet: Love it and the story!

That's a great lab and walker! Well done with making the hydraulics for the walker's legs!

And LOL on the story!

This made me laugh pretty hard! "cutting edge technology" indeed! :roflmao:

Excellent base and walker too! :wink:

ahah that was unespected :D great walker, great base and a very funny story. :thumbup: :thumbup:

OCS 'Your paycheck could depend on this'

I couldn't help but think this is the kind of name spaceships have in Iain Banks The Culture sci-fi saga. Is it casual or a reference?

ahah that was unespected :D great walker, great base and a very funny story. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I couldn't help but think this is the kind of name spaceships have in Iain Banks The Culture sci-fi saga. Is it casual or a reference?

Well spotted... I really like the Culture novels, especially the whimsical spaceship names. But I didn't have a particular one in mind, so it's just a casual use of the same idea!