Doctor Who, Torchwood, Sarah Jane Adventures...

981 replies to this topic

#751 Matn

Matn

• supermegaawesome

Member: 2084

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

I have always wanted to watch Doctor Who. I knew what it all was about, I saw much about it by browsing on the internet and it really sparked my interest. I also saw a couple of episodes of Torchwood some time ago, knowing it's a spin-off of Doctor Who, but it seems Doctor Who is much lighter.

I was going to watch a few on BBC, but never did (and I also would have fallen in the middle of a story). Internet was the second option, but then I never thought about it much until a fantastic channel in Belgium, started with broadcasting Doctor Who this week. And after watching the first five episodes of the fifth series (for reasons unknown they started with the fifth series, but it's a new Doctor anyway), I must say I love it already. Yes, it's over the top and often things happen by coincidence, it's awesome. It's almost as it doesn't take it self very serious at times and that makes it a refreshing new series I have discovered. I love it when I discover a new awesome programme. The Doctor is great and so is Amy, the stories are almost magical fantastic. I can't wait to see more of it!

Edited by Matn, 30 December 2011 - 09:53 PM.

#752 Mr Man

Mr Man

Member: 13561

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

View PostMatn, on 30 December 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

And after watching the first five episodes of the fifth series (for reasons unknown they started with the fifth series, but it's a new Doctor anyway), I must say I love it already. Yes, it's over the top and often things happen by coincidence, it's awesome. It's almost as it doesn't take it self very serious at times and that makes it a refreshing new series I have discovered. I love it when I discover a new awesome programme. The Doctor is great and so is Amy, the stories are almost magical fantastic. I can't wait to see more of it!

Series 5 is a very good place to start, it's almost as if it's starting anew, there's very few references to the classic or new series in it and both series 5 and 6 make more sense when watched together.
'For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.'
Posted Image Posted Image

#753 SpiderSpaceman

SpiderSpaceman

• Got Balls?

Member: 6727

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:53 AM

View PostMr Man, on 31 December 2011 - 12:15 PM, said:

Series 5 is a very good place to start, it's almost as if it's starting anew, there's very few references to the classic or new series in it and both series 5 and 6 make more sense when watched together.

That's what I did. then I went backwards for 1-4 (minus a special or two probably), and then popped out some classics, all I've seen so far being:
Genesis of the Daleks, The Face of Evil, and The Ark in Space

and a clip of the doctor explaining "bigger on the inside" to leela (wait, no I remembered - that is from The Face of Evil. I just liked it so i rewatched the clip on youtube)

and then all of torchwood.

And now I'm watching sherlock and it feels much healthier, lemme tell ya :tongue:

I'm fond of Doctor Who and flat out love bits and pieces, certain episodes and arcs and the characters but it's actually too intense for me to be a full time super loyal fan.

I'll probably stop and fully catch up on some lumpy basis in times when I'm too weak n' bored to resist :wink:

but even with torchwood being where the really intense choosing between two evils happens, holy crud "the girl who waited"! and the rollercoaster ride of existence and nonexistence for rory: All some crazy intense heart tuggery.  and besides that, plot twisting all over the place with every status quo restoration, deus ex machina, timey wimey excuse and gotcha ever devised and then some.  I can go for about half of em but others just freak me out.

Edited by SpiderSpaceman, 16 January 2012 - 06:44 PM.

#754 Mr Man

Mr Man

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

View PostSpiderSpaceman, on 14 January 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

Genesis of the Daleks, The Face of Evil, and The Ark in Space

And now I'm watching Sherlock and it feels much healthier, lemme tell ya :tongue:

I'm fond of Doctor Who and flat out love bits and pieces, certain episodes and arcs and the characters but it's actually too intense for me to be a full time super loyal fan.

I really liked Genesis of the Daleks, i? wish they would do similar less complicated episodes now.

I agree about your point where DW gets a bit heavy handed or intense, but that's part of the fun.

I also really love Sherlock.
'For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.'

#755 simonjedi

simonjedi

• PT Jedi are the BEST!

Member: 1965

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

First official photo from filming:

Posted Image

Ah It's good to have them back.

Spoiler

Edited by simonjedi, 25 February 2012 - 11:03 PM.

Posted Image

| 7674 V19 Torrent Starfighter Review |

[*] Dr. Ben Elegnem, head of medical staff in INFECTED (Killed Night 2) (Not Infected)

[*]Jimmy Palmer (Gas Station Attendant) in Prohibition Mafia (Scum)

#756 Batbrick

Batbrick

• I'm back ...with a banana

Member: 1917

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:17 AM

I think you mean the *right*  :tongue:

Looking forward to this series, though I hate the new schedule. I hope the story arc is toned down to episodic like series 5, it ate up way too much of series 6 for me.

Batbrick Away!  :devil:
And see and comment on KDog's hilarious Space Comic here:
Posted Image
Click on pic to see and comment now!  And please add this ad to your sig so more people can see this fantastic work!

Batbrick Away!

#757 Ceroknight

Ceroknight

• Straight Up Cero!

Member: 12949

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:56 AM

It's interesting how they are back at the Bad Wolf place where the Doctor says goodbye to Rose..
That's going to have an interesting plot.
Ceroknight
Photo by Librarian-bot:His Fantastic Deviantart page
Brickset  Flickr

#758 Mr Man

Mr Man

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

View PostCeroknight, on 26 February 2012 - 06:56 AM, said:

It's interesting how they are back at the Bad Wolf place where the Doctor says goodbye to Rose..
That's going to have an interesting plot.

I hope by 'interesting' you don't mean involving Rose in any way shape or form :hmpf_bad:.

#759 simonjedi

simonjedi

• PT Jedi are the BEST!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

It's the same location where they filmed Bad Wolf Bay but it's not actually Bad Wolf Bay.

So don't assume that series 7 features the inglorious return of Rose Tyler

Posted Image

[*] Dr. Ben Elegnem, head of medical staff in INFECTED (Killed Night 2) (Not Infected)

#760 Mr Man

Mr Man

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

View Postsimonjedi, on 26 February 2012 - 10:11 PM, said:

It's the same location where they filmed Bad Wolf Bay but it's not actually Bad Wolf Bay.

So don't assume that series 7 features the inglorious return of Rose Tyler

Ah good. I can't wait for the next series :excited:, I really hope Amy gets a proper send off, but Rory stays.

#761 Javert

Javert

Member: 14889

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

I am a Doctor Who fan, but I've gone off it recently, Moffat made it too complicated which is unfortunate but Series 5 is perfect! But then again I also thought that a lot of the RTD era was written for children (I mean Slitheen - farting? no? not childish?)

When I fist saw the Eleventh Hour, I had to wait until the Wednesday after to see it as I was away with the choir that week. It was wonderful, it felt like a different TV show and it had magic that had never been in the show before! But now it seems like Moffat has used his magic up and is making the story-lines too difficult to follow. Even with the:
Spoiler
felt like such a cop-out...

The Classic series is way underrated!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#762 The Crazy One

The Crazy One

Member: 3823

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:29 PM

View PostMr Man, on 27 February 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

Ah good. I can't wait for the next series :excited:, I really hope Amy gets a proper send off, but Rory stays.

I would love that actually. Rory is an awesome character.

#763 legomonk

legomonk

Member: 20122

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

I am sure am looking like a goon with this post but... My girlfriend is a wicked big Doctor Who fan. I have had to watch it for a bit since she is re-watching a bunch, and I have to say the 10th doctor is the best. He is sarcastic and witty. they should have kept with him IMHO.
Posted Image

the answer to your question is yes I have a Lego tattoo. Minifig count is at 768!

#764 Mr Man

Mr Man

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

View Postlegomonk, on 28 February 2012 - 12:33 AM, said:

I am sure am looking like a goon with this post but... My girlfriend is a wicked big Doctor Who fan. I have had to watch it for a bit since she is re-watching a bunch, and I have to say the 10th doctor is the best. He is sarcastic and witty. they should have kept with him IMHO.

I think it was Tenants decision to leave to play in theatre or something. Which is is a shame as I also like him (along with 3 and 11).

#765 Ceroknight

Ceroknight

• Straight Up Cero!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

Jenna-Louise Coleman has been announced as the new companion!
I think she will be terrific  :sweet:
Ceroknight
Brickset  Flickr

#766 Mr Man

Mr Man

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

View PostCeroknight, on 21 March 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

Jenna-Louise Coleman has been announced as the new companion!
I think she will be terrific  :sweet:

Link :look:.

#767 Ceroknight

Ceroknight

• Straight Up Cero!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

View PostMr Man, on 21 March 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

Link :look:.
Official Article
Interview
Ceroknight
Brickset  Flickr

#768 Cad Bane

Cad Bane

Member: 14659

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

One more article with info on Season 7 (and more of the same about the new companion. This seems to be the article that one quoted in the one previously posted...):
Article

Spoiler

"Not so impressive without your lightsaber, are you, Jedi." -Cad Bane
Avatar created by Jebediahs! Thanks!
My Brickshelf
My Flickr

#769 Mr Man

Mr Man

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

View PostCeroknight, on 21 March 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

Thanks.  :hmpf_bad: no one can replace Rory and Amy, I'm disappointed it wasn't a male companion this time, the last lead male was... erm Ian :sceptic:.

New Companion Announced for BBC America’s ‘Doctor Who’

Erm BBC America :sceptic:. Nice try.

#770 simonjedi

simonjedi

• PT Jedi are the BEST!

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

Who she’s playing, how the Doctor meets her, and even where he finds her, are all part of one of the biggest mysteries the Time Lord ever encounters. Even by the Doctor’s standards, this isn’t your usual boy meets girl.

Please can we have a companion that isn't the most important person in the universe ever? It's getting kind of boring. I just want a normal person who accidentally stumbles into the TARDIS.

Publicity pic...
Posted Image

Spoiler

Edited by simonjedi, 24 March 2012 - 10:29 PM.

Posted Image

#771 SpiderSpaceman

SpiderSpaceman

• Got Balls?

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:23 AM

Hahahahahahahaha simon :roflmao:
Spoiler

#772 Ceroknight

Ceroknight

• Straight Up Cero!

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:30 AM

View PostSpiderSpaceman, on 26 March 2012 - 01:23 AM, said:

Hahahahahahahaha simon :roflmao:
Spoiler
Spoiler

Ceroknight
Brickset  Flickr

#773 SpiderSpaceman

SpiderSpaceman

• Got Balls?

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:30 AM

View PostCeroknight, on 26 March 2012 - 03:30 AM, said:

Spoiler
Spoiler

View PostMr Man, on 22 March 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

Erm BBC America :sceptic:. Nice try.

Please excuse my compatriots' myopic idiocy.  I have no idea how that happens; Entertainment freakin' journalists, man. :sceptic:

Oh gods.. I did not know we had an antoine dodson emoticon here (:dumb:)  :laugh_hard:

#774 Mr Man

Mr Man

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

View Postsimonjedi, on 24 March 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

Spoiler

*oh2* :look: :cry_sad:

View PostSpiderSpaceman, on 26 March 2012 - 04:30 AM, said:

Please excuse my compatriots' myopic idiocy.  I have no idea how that happens; Entertainment freakin' journalists, man. :sceptic:

:classic:

#775 Praiter Yed

Praiter Yed

• I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Member: 11296

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

The new trailer's now on the BBC website so you can now examine it more closely  :grin: . Link
Posted Image
Always on Brickshelf but finally flickr'd!  My CMS trade list  My Star Wars trades on swapfig.com

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users