Sign in to follow this  
Commander Turtle

[K - C08] Probing through the depths

Planet: Lorstan C08

Tags: Exploration, submarine

The submarine was running low on fuel. It was time to head back to the surface. The Commander pushed the button on his helmet to talk.

"This is K04 Commander Turtle. I have not found the deposit, returning to base now."

The intercom crackled indistinctly.

"czz- crkcrk pl-crk repeat zrk"

He took a breath, ready to repeat his instructions, when a flicker caught his eye. Up ahead, the faint gleam showing the tip of an awesomnium seam. Seconds later, the aquadroid accompanying him burbled, "Awesomnium detected at 55.133/90.045."

"This is K04 Commander Turtle. I have found the awesomnium, repeat, I have found the awesomnium."

The radio was completely silent. He noted the coordinates, and tilted the sub's nose towards the surface ready to bring home the good news.

VPY0nWg.png

95% of bricks from my own collection using an LDD technique I should probably write a tutorial on. A handful of parts I wanted but don't own, such as the 3 bionicle bits to make each engine :)

Mandatory Flickr link.

Edit: Detail on the improved cockpit on the left. Right is the original.

bEtSIZil.png

Now it can open without removing bricks - the dish pulls a little out and the big panel lifts upwards.

Edit 2: changed planet to better fit our corporate mission.

Edited by Commander Turtle

Nice submarine and great presentation!

Edit: Btw, I already asked and Bob said that only pilots get bonus on subs...

Water vehicle, submarine [i read that pilots can use subs, I figure drivers should also be able to?]

Edited by Mike S

Thanks all!

Edit: Btw, I already asked and Bob said that only pilots get bonus on subs...

That seems a little... limiting? I dunno, I did flying above the water and now being under the water, it seems like I was only meant to be on the water! I realise it's not my call, but thematically I think a driver can drive a sub.

I agree with you but Bob makes the rules and since this is just a minor issue, I'm not going to contest it.

That's funny because we had that discussion in the staff forum and we concluded that the probability to get submarines was pretty low... :hmpf_bad:

So I guess I'll have to update the "Spaceship / Airplane" tag and add "Submarine" to it...

I guess that means submarines will not give a driver bonus?

Correct

You can always build aquatic craft with wheels like Aquanauts did! :laugh: what a great theme that was.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Mike S

Nice sub! Nice use of the Bionicle engines. :classic:

That sub has some great shaping, but I'm not sold on the parts decisions for the two forward prongs. Smooth surfaces seem more appropriate for submarines to me. The cockpit setup seems really interesting, any chance for a clearer pic of that?

As to the pilot vs. driver, I think the 2D vs. 3D control argument makes the most sense. A true hovercraft, though it technically "flies", is constrained to moving in 2 dimensions. Submarines move in 3 dimensions. Speeders & hovercars I'm not sure about--but it almost makes sense to me to grant points to both pilots and drivers for these.

Another great build! I love how your sub looks like a octopus or squid swimming; gives it a very organic feel. I also like the small sub.

I will admit to being confused by the frog.

--Transmission begin--

Great work Commander! I will personally head to The Hamilton Belt this week to get the mines Agent Beltar found last week in working condition, but I'll notify my team left on Serium of your find directly, so that they can set up the proper mining facilities.

Operative Q, over.

--Transmission end--

Great build as always Commander Turtle, very detailed, despite its size, and great use of pieces. This will surely establish our dominance on Serium!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone :)

That sub has some great shaping, but I'm not sold on the parts decisions for the two forward prongs. Smooth surfaces seem more appropriate for submarines to me. The cockpit setup seems really interesting, any chance for a clearer pic of that?

As to the pilot vs. driver, I think the 2D vs. 3D control argument makes the most sense. A true hovercraft, though it technically "flies", is constrained to moving in 2 dimensions. Submarines move in 3 dimensions. Speeders & hovercars I'm not sure about--but it almost makes sense to me to grant points to both pilots and drivers for these.

Currently the blue dish has to be removed to get access, then the rest folds nicely up. I might rejig the cockpit a little, I know already that I could make it work without removing anything in real bricks, it's been a challenge getting LDD to cooperate. I'll get a pic after I've done that.

As for the sub thing, that does make some sense. Best not to get derailed by it. I've already forfeit my first 3 point bonus, so it's not a big loss - I'll just have to make it up by making a lot of walkers once we get out of Serium!

I really like the use of masonry bricks to give the front prongs some texture - great part use! (GPU?)

I actually don't know what my favorite part is, I really love the whole MOC. :wub:

Excellent job bro. :classic::thumbup: :thumbup:

Fantastic sub in both color and design. I also like the angle you chose for the sub, it gives the scene some action!

One question Turtle:

In the title it says B09 and in your story C08... did you build on Serium or Lorstan?

One question Turtle:

In the title it says B09 and in your story C08... did you build on Serium or Lorstan?

It was originally Serium, but given that we should be efficient I have changed the details to Lorstan. I hope that is allowed :)

It was originally Serium, but given that we should be efficient I have changed the details to Lorstan. I hope that is allowed :)

Your entry is a WIP until Sunday, so no problem.