Sign in to follow this  
AC_

[K - B09] Serium Navigation and Comms Beacon

Kawashita Engineer's Log - AC - B09 Serium

I've arrived on Serium with my construction team shortly after Mister S' and Narbilu's teams arrived. Both teams took differing areas of the planets to scout round to begin with to maximise the amount of the data that can be gathered in the first few hours of arrival. We've landed our construction crew near to where Mister S first landed for now and have begun construction here.

This particular small desert island has a decent amount of space for initial construction and is nice and level which will make creating foundations for structures easier. A good choice for centering land based construction, although a number of floating platforms will be required.

First things first though, with the large bodies of water and few islands, there's a distinct lack of landmarks to navigate by, so we've begun by assembling a Navigation and Comms Beacon on the sand. The mast is a little bulky looking for what antennas and sensor arrays are currently mounted on the top, but it should be more stable on this surface and will save complete replacement when more arrays are added later. Not sure how well the relay cabinet will cope in this heat. May need more ventilation, but we don't want too much sand getting into the works. It should be okay for a while though.

17758185199_d5159db614_z.jpg

17944436955_aa48cca723_n.jpg

17321854984_8760f26f9c_n.jpg

17941354692_65cb3859c4_n.jpg

Edited by AC_

Terrain isn't one of my strong points (at the minute. As things progress, I should get better with practice). It's meant to be relatively flat here though =P. Also small details aren't a particularly strong point of mine.

Thanks for the comments though.

Cool beacon... Another prove of KG technology being far beyond the other corps

Nice build! I really like the mast design! Good to see Kawashita communication channels up and operational.

Very nice antenna array tower! :classic:

I've just had a few minutes spare and updated the photos in the first link. I've added a few more dark tan plates to the base and given the model a little border which seems to be a thing that people do (which does look nice on these little scenes others have done, so I'm copying). I've also attempted to photograph my build on a white background (lots of pieces of A4 paper stuck to the wall and table with blu-tac. Didn't quite work as well as I'd hoped) instead of the table shoved against a wall.

Not sure that the new photos are as brightly lit as the old ones, hopefully I'll do better with my next build.

Just for reference, I've left the old images here in this post behind the spoiler tag. The new images are in the first post.

Original images;

17589677039_ec40abbbc9_z.jpg

17153443064_9ac82e0b81_n.jpg

17776388401_4d3c971704_n.jpg

Terrain is largely a "feel" thing. I would browse some GoH builds or Flickr pages of MOCers you think are good at it. nice landscaping can be a subtle art where less is often more. But you definitely gotta put something on top of those base plates to create a more immersive effect. I really like the radio tower. Has an insectoid, frail look that works well for the somewhat cyberpunk feel of AG.

Nice idea, and nicely done, I like the spindlies and the junction box. It's hard to do bare flat ground, I would suggest to add a few 1x1 tiles and studs to hint at rocks.