Review: 4884 Creator - Wild Hunters

13 replies to this topic

#1 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Member: 1554

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:29 AM

Posted Image

The set, and the other Designer sets that came out with it (especially 4888) are incredibly well designed sets. I wish Lego would go back to doing sets like these as I loved the multitude of instructions and ideas. The last batch of Creator sets had zero ideas, even though I know several were made.  :'-( Anyway, less whining, more review.

Posted Image

The lion is the main model. His mouth doesn't fully close, but it does open more.

Posted Image

The head works well from most angles. I love the dark orange bricks; great for rust...

Posted Image

He is quite solid, but the joints take the weight well. The neck goes side to side and rotates, but doesn't go up and down. The body is built in two parts and pinned in the middle.

Posted Image

With what is left you can make what I think is a  hyena, a silly plant MOC...

Posted Image

...and what I believe is a vulture.

Posted Image

There are also instructions for a few other models including a bat, boar and a snake...

Posted Image

which I quite like. He can be built at the same time as...

Posted Image

...this cute little lizard. Overall this is a great set with an excellent blend of colours and pieces. I wanted it for steampunk potentials.  *sweet*

I hope you liked the review. Till next time....

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!

#2 Doctor Sinister

Doctor Sinister

• Grunts on the BBC

Member: 1736

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:02 AM

The lizard looks the best to me - put him in a town and you've got a monster terrorising the residents.

Dr. S.
Doctor Sinister, Emperor Eternal of Tabletown!

Visit the new and improved- Tabletown Forums - discuss the world of Grunts!

Posted Image

#3 Shadows

Shadows

• Awesome, brilliant, not redundant.

Member: 1558

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

Great review as always! *y* LEGO is timeless, so there is no such thing as an old set.

I never build brick monsters/creatures, but this set had such a nice assortment of parts that I had to pick a couple up as they weren't clearancing out on Shop @ Home.

I absolutely love dark orange and tan, so it was an automatic win.

I love the use of "familiar characters" in the review, I can almost hear Hinckley screaming, "my megabloks!"  :-P

You sort of look like you're planning some vulture stew though. Might have to start a new challenge to determine a winner there. Sinner and his Big Pot o' Doom VS Giant Vulture!

Only thing is, does everything horrify the Mrs? She seems perpetually shocked and/or dismayed at the goings on here. Now that I think about it, I can see why. I'm occasionally shocked and/or dismayed  8-

Brick Built Beasties On!  *y*

Shadows is looking for stalkers. Yep, you heard me right. CLICKY!

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

#4 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:54 PM

A very fine review of a very fine set, thanks Sinner.  *y*
The variety of cool colors in that sets just formidable.
One more beautiful Creator set indeed!
Roaarrrr on!  :'-)

#5 Holodoc

Holodoc

• Has finally seen the box

Member: 1094

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:43 PM

Thank you for the nice review, Sinner!

I also bought this set but in combination with 4883 when it was on sale (50% - hurray!) at S@H.
I made a short review of 4883 but wasnt really sure what to tell about 4884. So Im glad you did that for me. :-D

I have different feelings about this set.
On the one hand I love the lion. He is really impressive (even my wife -not known for being Lego enthusiastic- asked me, if there were more animals of this kind). The lion is - restricted - poseable and the colors used are fantastic. *wub*
3 models can be built simultaneously - thats great!

On the other hand I still dont know what to do with these rotation joints. *wacko* And the other models are somehow disappointing compared to the lion.

I seem to have missed the little lizard. :-$ I put it on my "to do-list".

Like all the Creator sets: Great parts pack - but wait until they get on sale! X-D
For me - I had a lot more fun with 4883.

Indeed: Roarrrr ON! ;-)
Even more interested in LEGO bricks & parts? Read Tim Johnson's (aka Caperberry) blog: Posted Image
New and very cool Posted Image: LEGO Physics (by kleinraum42)! Posted Image (Click on the photo and vote!)

#6 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:01 PM

View Postimperialshadows, on Aug 16 2007, 08:43 PM, said:

Only thing is, does everything horrify the Mrs? She seems perpetually shocked and/or dismayed at the goings on here. Now that I think about it, I can see why. I'm occasionally shocked and/or dismayed  8-

I just love playing with the new princess! You will be seeing her shocked and dismayed for a while to come...

View PostHolodoc, on Aug 16 2007, 10:43 PM, said:

I also bought this set but in combination with 4883 when it was on sale (50% - hurray!) at S@H.

Don't remind me;  :'-(  I bought that set on S@H when it was on sale.... but my bank delayed the transaction so it sold out! A broken man, I seached stores over and over again for a good deal on that set, and I found it last week for $25 AUD ($60 List). Ahhh...... *sweet*

View PostHolodoc, on Aug 16 2007, 10:43 PM, said:

I have different feelings about this set.
On the one hand I love the lion. He is really impressive (even my wife -not known for being Lego enthusiastic- asked me, if there were more animals of this kind). The lion is - restricted - poseable and the colors used are fantastic. *wub*
3 models can be built simultaneously - thats great!

On the other hand I still dont know what to do with these rotation joints. *wacko* And the other models are somehow disappointing compared to the lion.

Well, I will have to get back to you on what I do with it.  :-P I do agree though that most of the other models are not worth making. I made the snake because in the instructions he is shown terrorising the lizard... >:-)

#7 Wout

Wout

Member: 1485

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:13 PM

View PostSinner, on Aug 16 2007, 04:01 PM, said:

I just love playing with the new princess! You will be seeing her shocked and dismayed for a while to come...

Shocked and dismayed? When you give her flowers last week she was also shocked and dismayed. I think she's just allergic for both flowers and animals. I hope she's not allergic for skeletons too. :-P  :-D

By the way: Great review, You made a nice warm, soft place to sleep for Hinckley. X-D
Duke of Equestria

#8 Ickelpete

Ickelpete

Member: 539

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:36 PM

Great review Sinner

I regret not buying this set when I saw it cheap in a local sale :-(

#9 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:46 PM

View PostWout, on Aug 16 2007, 11:13 PM, said:

By the way: Great review, You made a nice warm, soft place to sleep for Hinckley. X-D
Nothing but the best for Hinckley.  :-P

View PostIckelpete, on Aug 17 2007, 04:36 AM, said:

Great review Sinner

I regret not buying this set when I saw it cheap in a local sale :-(
Don't worry, it could be worse. I regret not buying Cloud City and the Technic Backhoe for half price a few years back.   :'-( *wacko*

#10 Starwars4J

Starwars4J

Member: 257

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:00 PM

Sigh, I really REALLY wanted to buy this when it was on sale on S@H and I never did and now it's no longer available  :'-(

It's a great set with a nice amount of bley, but a crapload of tan.  It's like the perfect way to increase your tan supplies...

Nice review you lucky aussie

#11 Hinckley

Hinckley

• Flying Hippo that Shoots Lasers out of its butt

Member: 486

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:59 AM

View PostSinner, on Aug 16 2007, 05:46 PM, said:

Nothing but the best for Hinckley.  :-P

:'-) Thanks buddy. You're such a good friend.

Another excellent review!

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Now playing Simon Persimmons in Walter Kovacs's Unrest in the Forest

#12 Corvus

Corvus

• ¡ʎpuɐɯ ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ

Member: 1483

Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:27 AM

View PostSinner, on Aug 15 2007, 11:29 PM, said:

...and what I believe is a vulture.

So, uh, are you willing to sell that vulture?  *sweet* I was going to buy the set so I could MOC an eagle out of that vulture, but I never bought it.

Pleeaase?  X-D
True happiness: looking inside the box to see a perfectly flat instruction manual.

Posted Image

#13 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:46 AM

View PostMr. Mandalorian, on Sep 1 2007, 12:27 PM, said:

So, uh, are you willing to sell that vulture?  *sweet* I was going to buy the set so I could MOC an eagle out of that vulture, but I never bought it.

Pleeaase?  X-D
Sorry, but I actually wanted almost every part in this set. It's one of those sets I could buy 100 of and still want all of the pieces.  *wub* In particular, the vulture has several hinges, black wings, and the dark red pieces that I want loads of. Sorry. :-$

#14 Corvus

Corvus

• ¡ʎpuɐɯ ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ

Member: 1483

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:15 AM

I was really kidding, of course you want to keep it. Who wouldn't?  ;-)  I was going to buy it off of BL anyway.  X-D

Now, if lego made a theme about Creator animals, that would be great. *sweet*
True happiness: looking inside the box to see a perfectly flat instruction manual.

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users