Review: 4981 Spongebob - Chum Bucket

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 xwingyoda

xwingyoda

Member: 255

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:24 PM

My SB fans (and fans to be – at least there is Alex  :-P ), let me present you today the review of a really neat set (all SB sets are neat mind you !!): the Chum Bucket !! Here is just a bit of SB history for all of you profanes out there. Plankton owns the Chum Bucket. He is Mr Krabs’ archenemy who constantly tries to steal the Crabby Patty secret formula in several episodes to run the Krusty Krab out of business. This set combines a few episodes such as the really fun:

* Plankton: the very first episode that introduced the college educated Plankton. He takes control of SB by implanting something in his brain and makes SB to cook a crabby patty in order to put it in the chum’s bucket analyser...

* Welcome to the Chum Bucket: During a card game with Plankton, Mister Krabs bets SB’s contract and looses !! He tries to be nice to SB in order to have the formula but that fails due to SB’s lack of cooperation. Plankton finally implants SB’s brain in his robot chef...

* Plankton’s Army: This time Plankton disguises as a big grey robot (with a red tie) to try and steal the receipe which of course fails. He comes back with his “army”...

Now onto the set per se. I really think its a great set that combines cool building (that hand is so sweet), playability features and cool Mfs ! Its yet another must buy set for every SB fan. EZnjoy the review  ;-)

Like always, here are pics of the instruction booklet and the DSS (G there are loads of crappy stickers in that one !!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

1/ the MFs & extras

That new printed SB looking stupider is fantastic !! It seems he doesn’t understand anything that happens around him: priceless  :-D

Posted Image

I just love Plankton with his war helmet trying to get away with robot legs installed on a crabby patty !! Note that fine “bun” printing disc (a great part !!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The robots are kind of cool but they suffer from a major flaw: stickers !! (darn you TLC for putting so many stickers on your sets !!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

As extras you have that kind of green tank (no clues to what its suppose to be though), a really cheesy “catapult”, a plate, a dollar bill and a crabby patty

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

2/ the sweet Chum Bucket

Sure it suffers from an overload of stickers (yet again  >:-( ) but overall I really love that restaurant !!The shape is pretty nice, and the above hand really makes all the difference  (BTW, I’m not sure the fingers should look like this  X-D ). I think TLC did really a good job at making it ressemble a bucket (no Hinckie and Sinner, not that walrus bucket you guys always quarrel about  :-D  :-P ).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now lets focus on the interior’s playability and cool features. BTW, have you noticed the use of those dark blue pillars (4 of them !!). Lets start with a general pic of all those goodies.

Posted Image

The entrance to the restaurant is really empty – its normal there is nothing in there, they suffer from what is called the “0 customers” effect loool. The only thing of interest is that “tank” where our “lost” SB is suppose to have the brain surgery hehe so in a way it looks like...lobotomy SB !! Look at his face, this is kind of an entry for kill SB  X-D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now lets climb the ladder and see what we have !!
* The crabby patty analyser (will Plankton finally learn the secret formula ? You decide !!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

* Plabkton’s wife: the computer !! Seriously

Posted Image

* the Robot chef activation beam “its alive !!”

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hope you enjoyed that review and stay tuned for tomorrow’s new review: Mrs Puff Boating School !!

Plankton On !!

*yoda*

#2 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:40 PM

What a nice review of a real great and funny SB set!  *y*
I just *wub*  that we got two new brilliant Spongebob
facial expressions with that and the Boating School set!  :'-)
Endless underwater playing fun on!   :-D  

I'd like to be under the sea
In an octopus' garden in the shade
He'd let us in, knows where we've been
In his octopus' garden in the shade

I'd ask my friends to come and see
An octopus' garden with me
In an octopus' garden in the shade.

We would be warm below the storm
In our little hideaway beneath the waves
Resting our head on the sea bed
In an octopus' garden near a cave

We would sing and dance around
because we know we can't be found
In an octopus' garden in the shade

We would shout and swim about
The coral that lies beneath the waves
(Lies beneath the ocean waves)
Oh what joy for every girl and boy
Knowing they're happy and they're safe
(Happy and they're safe)
The Beatles

#3 SirNadroj

SirNadroj

• Rock Hard ABS

Member: 998

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:58 PM

Awesome reveiw  *yoda* ! I wasn't sure whether I was gonna buy this or not, but I will now! I don't think the hand it supposed to look like that either!  ;-)  Next up: Boating School!  ;-)

#4 xwingyoda

xwingyoda

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:58 PM

View PostAsuka, on Aug 14 2007, 03:40 PM, said:

Endless underwater playing fun on!   :-D
Indeed !!
And I had more that song in mind:

Under the sea
Under the sea
There'll be no accusations
Just friendly crustaceans
Under the sea!
:-D

Wait tomorrow for the other review hehe !!

*yoda*

#5 natelite

natelite

• fewer calories than regular nate

Member: 718

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:12 PM

Reading your review makes me want to buy the SB line…but my force is still strong and I could resist it. :-P

#6 xwingyoda

xwingyoda

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:16 PM

View Postnatelite, on Aug 14 2007, 04:12 PM, said:

Reading your review makes me want to buy the SB line…but my force is still strong and I could resist it. :-P
For now... X-D
How can you pass that underwater fun and sponginess ??, fun figs, cool buildings, and a real cartoonish feel !! Its just too good to let it pass  :-P

*yoda*

#7 Shadows

Shadows

• Free Online Spell Checker

Member: 1558

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:16 PM

First off, great review, lots of nice detailed pics!  *y*

Now the serious part. I absolutely refuse to buy this set!!!

There. I did it. I finally convinced myself not to buy a LEGO set. I absolutely won't buy this one, no matter what, no way, no how! Unless it's on a really good sale ...

What I will do, however, is pick up some of those printed buns from bricklink. I see mushrooms in future mocs!

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a decent enough set and all, but enough is enough and I  have to draw the line somewhere. I had previous drawn it at Avatar, then I found them on clearance and that little voice in my head said, "oh look, nice parts, cheap price, and only 2 sets to have the entire line ..." That voice gets me in a lot of trouble.

But really, great review!

Shadows is looking for stalkers. Yep, you heard me right. CLICKY!

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

#8 natelite

natelite

• fewer calories than regular nate

Member: 718

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:22 PM

View Postimperialshadows, on Aug 14 2007, 04:16 PM, said:

I had previous drawn it at Avatar, then I found them on clearance and that little voice in my head said, "oh look, nice parts, cheap price, and only 2 sets to have the entire line ..."

Well, lucky you. I couldn't find any. They were sold out too fast! Drat!

#9 Vader

Vader

Member: 83

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:30 PM

So you finally got a new set to review and what a set it was! This looks like a sure sweet set mate :-)

Gotta love all the little details from the show that lego have thrown in, planktons hat suits him so well also X-D

Its just such a shame that TLC seem to be giving us stickers in so many new sets these days >:-(

#10 DoubleT

DoubleT

• The Joke Hunter

Member: 3

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:32 PM

Nice Buns, ups Review  :-P
DoubleT, Co-Creator of EuroBricks.com & BrickHorizon.com

A Joker I Am

#11 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:51 PM

View Postxwingyoda, on Aug 14 2007, 04:58 PM, said:

Wait tomorrow for the other review hehe !!

*yoda*
Yellow toone mind blowers on!  ;-)
Posted Image

#12 Starwars4J

Starwars4J

Member: 257

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:02 PM

Really nice review!  The set never looked that impressive to me, but the inside of the chum bucket really caught my attention!  There are a lot of great pieces and parts here (and nice pose of the hand :-P)

Can't wait until the other SB review

#13 alex54

alex54

• CC reducer, city expander

Member: 560

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:00 PM

Nice review Yoda! I can't wait for having mine! It's sa good as the firt sets! I really like the catroon spirit in this line! And all those details! And those new SB heads! So cute *wub*
This review makes me the idea to see another time those episodes!

Can't wait to see your review of the school boating!

And more, can't wait to have those two sets in my hands!

Posted Image                        Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#14 KMOI

KMOI

• EB's resident Avatar fan

Member: 277

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:09 PM

Bwahahaha! Love that little "mod" on the fish hand you got there, Yoda!  ;-)

Stellar review! Up until this point, I was never really tempted to actually consider this as a buy, but after reading this, I'm convinced! I'm really digging how this is truly the ultimate Plankton set with almost all the machines and gadgets that he's ever used in the show. While I would have liked a giant Plankton robot, I'd say this is perfect enough! Can't wait for the next Spongebob review, Yoda!

#15 phoinix

phoinix

• Eurovision !!

Member: 689

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:58 AM

ok its time for me to make a conffesion..
i have never wathced this show in my life!!!

and im not a bit curious on what the fuss is about..

your review is super as always yoda
but i really cant say anything about the set cause i dont know what it is about!

i have seen photos from the show on google so that i can compare with the sets and i think that the bucket is not very nice..

it has those huge grey pieces that make the bucket and it looks kind of boring..

(and im really curious on how you can buy every single set!! how big is your house?!! 8-° )

#16 CopMike

CopMike

• All your baseplate are belong to us

Member: 148

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:42 AM

Again a nice review  *yoda* (not like that crappy 918 "review" >:-) someone did somewhere :-P)!

I´m so getting this - the brainsurgery SB alone makes it a "must have"!!
And that yummy Crabby Patty makes me hungry!

On the stickers issue I so agree with you  *yoda* - and I think it´s time to start a revolution >:-)!
We need to adress this thing bigtime thru the Ambassadors to LEGO! And go 451 on thoso stickers!!!!

Mrs Puff Boating School review On

copmike

Posted Image

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#17 xwingyoda

xwingyoda

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:30 PM

View Postphoinix, on Aug 15 2007, 12:58 AM, said:

(and im really curious on how you can buy every single set!! how big is your house?!! 8-° )
Its not a house, its a "big" appartment for my age in Paris but always way too small to have my models on display  *sing*  We all have issue about space required and actual space  |-/  Especially now that TLC releases loads of great sets !!
I really can thank IKEA and those great stach boxes  :-P

View Postcopmike, on Aug 15 2007, 10:42 AM, said:

Again a nice review  *yoda* (not like that crappy 918 "review" >:-) someone did somewhere :-P)!
Loooool, don't say that too loud though  X-D  :-P

On the stickers issue I so agree with you  *yoda* - and I think it´s time to start a revolution >:-)!
We need to adress this thing bigtime thru the Ambassadors to LEGO! And go 451 on thoso stickers!!!!
Yeay I totally agree, the stickers must go away !!
451 On !!

Mrs Puff Boating School review On
I'm right on that !! Espresso and its review time yeay !! Can you feel the excitment in the air  :-D
Review On !!

*yoda*

#18 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Member: 1554

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:32 PM

Another great  *yoda* review!  *wub*  If it wasn't for the unreasonable AUD price of both new sets I would really want this; instead I bought Bikini Bottom which is on its way to me now. (With an ice cube tray...)

I look forward to the next review!  *sweet*

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!

#19 Wout

Wout

Member: 1485

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:07 PM

Nice review. I like the parts and the face of Sponge bob
Duke of Equestria

#20 iamded

iamded

• Cannot neigh to save his life.

Member: 1225

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:48 AM

Awesome set! I really like the robots, and that tiny tank could be quite useful! All the fancy machinery in there really make it more like a lab than a restaurant! :-D The thing I found most funny was the positioning of the middle finger on the hand. :-D  :-D Definitely gave me quite a laugh. X-D

Check out Eurobricks' RPG, Mafia and Wargames forum for the fun times!

#21 Holodoc

Holodoc

• Has finally seen the box

Member: 1094

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:46 AM

View Postphoinix, on Aug 15 2007, 12:58 AM, said:

ok its time for me to make a conffesion..
i have never wathced this show in my life!!!

and im not a bit curious on what the fuss is about..

your review is super as always yoda
but i really cant say anything about the set cause i dont know what it is about!
The same counts for me. I have never seen a single show. So I only can argue about the bricks as are.

I don´t like all the SB sets because of the inflationary use of stickers. >:-( More to that see below.
There are some bricks that are really cool like the bun disk, but I won´t buy this set just for single bricks.
I do like the color selection because of the comic strip relation though.

Yeah - revolution ON!
If someone cares for the tar I´ll bring in the feathers! :-D

But - what is 451 about? 8-|

*y* Thank you  *yoda*  for your nice review.  *y*
It will not change my attitude towards SB though. :-P
Even more interested in LEGO bricks & parts? Read Tim Johnson's (aka Caperberry) blog: Posted Image
New and very cool Posted Image: LEGO Physics (by kleinraum42)! Posted Image (Click on the photo and vote!)

#22 CopMike

CopMike

• All your baseplate are belong to us

Member: 148

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:21 AM

View PostHolodoc, on Aug 16 2007, 09:46 AM, said:

But - what is 451 about? 8-|

*y* Thank you  *yoda*  for your nice review.  *y*
It will not change my attitude towards SB though. :-P
Fahrenheit 451 *sweet*!

233 °C On

copmike

Posted Image

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#23 snefroe

snefroe

• waisted plastic

Member: 230

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:38 AM

View Postxwingyoda, on Aug 15 2007, 01:30 PM, said:

Its not a house, its a "big" appartment for my age in Paris but always way too small to have my models on display  *sing*  We all have issue about space required and actual space  |-/

finally this guys tallks about space *sweet*  such a shame it's in a completely different meaning of the word though... :'-)  

QUOTE(copmike @ Aug 15 2007, 10:42 AM)

Again a nice review  (not like that crappy 918 "review"  someone did somewhere )!

Loooool, don't say that too loud though

That's ok, master yoda, i've decided to totally ignore the posts from this member in the future... X-D

as for the review, if it actually is a review and not a homage, cos you really have to be clear about that on these boards :-| , ... well... what can I say? It's not a space set, is it... X-D

it looks fine though... nothing too special...

#24 Holodoc

Holodoc

• Has finally seen the box

Member: 1094

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:59 PM

View Postcopmike, on Aug 16 2007, 09:21 AM, said:

And I thought it would mean: 4 responsible members of TLC belong to area 51 :-|   :-$

But the stickers are made of plastic, not paper... What is the temperature when plastic catches fire? ;-)
Even more interested in LEGO bricks & parts? Read Tim Johnson's (aka Caperberry) blog: Posted Image
New and very cool Posted Image: LEGO Physics (by kleinraum42)! Posted Image (Click on the photo and vote!)

#25 xwingyoda

xwingyoda

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:28 PM

View PostHolodoc, on Aug 16 2007, 01:59 PM, said:

And I thought it would mean: 4 responsible members of TLC belong to area 51 :-|   :-$
And I thought he wanted to spray them with perfume  X-D

Posted Image On !!

*yoda*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users