Dreamweb

The armed vessel Basilisk

pirates-indexed.gif 174A

I wish to present to you my latest MOC - the sailing vessel Basilisk.

01.jpg

My main goal while building it was not to use any brown bricks at all and go for a less common colour scheme. So, apart from some muskets and pistols for the mininfgs, there is no brown and instead the ship uses a mixture of old dark grey, dark tan, dark red and some black. It uses completely grey narrow bow and stern hull pieces and in case you're wondering where they came from, check

this thread.

Since no middle sections in this colour exist, I had to make a custom one, and it's exaclty as long as two standard middle sections would be.

Some more images:

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

The cannons are customs as I really don't like using standard cannons on narrow hulls - they just seem too big. Here's a close-up of the gun deck:

06.jpg

As I had a limited amount of bricks in those colours, I had to skip the interior this time. So the inside of the captain's cabin is not accessible.

05.jpg

However, there is a hatch in the bow section, with a ladder which leads down to the living quarters, the storage area and whatever your imagination tells you:

07.jpg

The brave crew can be seen below. The third guy on the left is the ship's surgeon, but as can be noticed in some images above, he also sometimes likes to take the helm.

08.jpg

And finally, just for fun, a comparison photo of my latest ship and the latest official LEGO ship - yes, the Brick Bounty:

09.jpg

The Brick Bounty is obviously slightly wider as it uses different hull pieces, but besides that they're actually virtually identical in size.

Overall, once again I must say I got to like the narrow hulls much more over the last few months. For one, those smaller ships are much quicker to build.

:pir-grin:

That's it, thanks for watching, comments are welcome as usual!!! :pir-classic:

Nice work! I like the shape, it has nice proportions.

Seeing your crew, I feel like the new admiral torso could be used with dark yellow pants to approximate a Swedish soldier.

Great work :classic:

The porportions are very good and I like the use of the Bionicle head :thumbup:

Fine ship with a great gallion and nice lanterns at the back and custom guns (I think Kurigan explained that the term has to be "gun").

You also seem to have a motivated and happy crew - the torso on the right, where is it from?

Thanks for your comments mateys!

The porportions are very good and I like the use of the Bionicle head thumbup.gif

Actually the head is from the 7018 Viking ship, where it also served as a figurehead, although in a slightly different arrangement.

You also seem to have a motivated and happy crew - the torso on the right, where is it from?

You mean the last one on the right?

08.jpg

It's a brand new Admiral/Governor torso from 2015 Pirate sets: 70412 Soldiers Fort and 70413 Brick Bounty. The blue hat (first one on the left) is also from the Soldiers Fort. I literally grabbed the torso and the hat right after opening the 70412 box and placed them in my MOC immediately - so when I finally built the fort set, it was missing its governor. :pir_laugh2:

Nice ship you made!!! One nitpicking, I am not sure about the 2-wheel cannons. They are really excellent made, but I am not sure if they are stable enough for being put on a ship...

Interesting choice of colours. I will experiment with brown+gray+black and see how it goes. Hopefully it wont end up like a castle in the sea :P Nice crew too btw

Thanks mateys! I must say, due to the colours, the ship is really hard to miss standing on a shelf just next to Black Seas Barracuda and Imperial Flagship (10210). Despite being smaller, it really stands out amid those brown/dark brown hulls.

That's an arresting color scheme to say the least. The overall design is pretty solid and looks good among the standard sets. The figurehead/prow looks absolutely menacing. To my eyes the crew looks almost too polished for the ship but that's all a matter of opinion. Nice use of the grey hull as well.

Thanks! About the crew being too polished - I think scary-looking figureheads shouldn't be unique to Pirate ships. Some soldiers prefer their ships to look manacing as well. pirate_classic.gif