Back in 2005 I changed the extremely small blue truck into a real truck where the trailer with the mobile gas station would fit onto. It was still a small truck, but now that the mobile service station has grown in both size and weight and introduced a new coupling standard, I had to rebuild all the other trucks that had couplings for trailers.
The little blue truck was first in line.
(See all the pictures in the BrickShelf gallery)
It has received a much more rigid frame with an extra axle in order to cope with the weight of the new trailer:
The doors, exhaust pipes, interior and engine are also all new. A sleeping cabin has been added to the roof. It is only the overall shape and color that has stayed unchanged.
A good and throughout update and everything is OK... or so I thought. I started playing a bit with it and let some of my friends do the same. We quickly found that this truck had some major problems:
- The mirrors didn't stay on
- The engine cover was too hard to open
- The cycle-mirror had to be adjusted for the right door to open
- the coupling released when turning
It was back to the drawing board. The mirrors are now using stronger bricks for joints. The engine cover is no longer locked using bricks. The cycle-mirror has been moved a tile upwards and a whole new release system has been made for the coupling. You now only have to press one of the black buttons between the fuel tanks on the sides instead of turning a knob. The malfunctioning system was troublesome because of the suspension in the rear. This is no longer a problem. An elastic keeps that from happening while a couple of Technic Bionicle teeth make sure the release mechanism works:
Edited by Lasse D, 18 August 2007 - 03:00 PM.