Sign in to follow this  
Redhead1982

Train station

I built this station almost a year ago for LUGs exhibition in March 2014, but I never got around to take pictures of it. It was exhibited at three national exhibitions (KockeFest 13, KockeFest 12, Kranj - SVM), and in between it was kept safe in a box. It survived my recent move at the end of the year, so before unpacking, sorting bricks and starting new projects, I finally took some photos.

16187767918_0b1b7ab527_z.jpg

Back view of the building and the platforms.

16375397615_d24eabd2e6_z.jpg

Top view reveals the size. Can anyone guess? It's a layout of 3x4 baseplates (32x32).

15752958724_27b7f27a24_z.jpg

The entrance to the building is partly covered with awning.

16374510852_f6074cdeea_z.jpg

The passenger train is a shorter version of this one. I took away the middle car, as it was too long. Also, I don't have enough tracks to extend the (four) platforms to the appropriate length for the train. I also don't have enough minifigs, so the station is not as busy as it could be.

16188026530_2e6f2b81d8_z.jpg

The platforms are numbered, so missing the platform is not a problem.

16375395085_d7b8cee6f5_z.jpg

There's also a timetable at the front of the platforms. You can catch the 11.23 train to Billund. :sweet:

15752964164_f54afacb42_z.jpg

More pictures, including some of those from the 2014 exhibitions, can be found in my Flickr stream.

Amazing! Really beautiful design and attention to detail. I love the clock tower especially. While really I think this is too good to criticise, I would say that perhaps a terminus station like this is more likely to have the rails coming in perpendicular to the station facade rather than parallel. I have to say again, though, great work!

Edited by Srbandrews

Certainly a nice station with the big windows for the main hall and some nice details. :thumbup:

I just don't understand the platforms... When I'm told to go to platform 2 for my train, and there are trains on either side of it, then which is my train? And the platform directly at the building neither has a number nor seats. Also, they are a bit short - I'd remove the middle one and use it to make the others longer.

Beautiful! Love the detailing on the facade, awnings over the platforms and the flower beds out the front.

I love the clock tower especially. While really I think this is too good to criticise, I would say that perhaps a terminus station like this is more likely to have the rails coming in perpendicular to the station facade rather than parallel. I have to say again, though, great work!

Thanks, the clock tower was actually the last part I built. I had plans for it before the first exhibition, but I didn't like the design at the time. It took me almost six months, before I drafted something I liked in LDD. You're right about the platforms being perpendicular to the buildings facade would make more sense. I was limited by the layout for the town display, and I had only about 4 months to build it from scratch. Actually, I'm already thinking about some designs for a terminal building that would sit flat with the modulars and had the platforms extending from the back of the building.

......no interiors ?

It was planned, but I never had the time. It was finished in March just before the first exhibition and it stayed packed till the next one. I had it out for a while, but the I had to start packing my bricks to make room for the baby on the way, after a while we found a lovely flat and started renovation so that we could move in before the baby was born. Now I realized that it's better to take it apart and build something else.

I just don't understand the platforms... When I'm told to go to platform 2 for my train, and there are trains on either side of it, then which is my train? And the platform directly at the building neither has a number nor seats. Also, they are a bit short - I'd remove the middle one and use it to make the others longer.

I know they're confusing, but the station in my home town has the same system. Well there's almost never two trains on the same platform, and when there are, there's info boards on the train, so you know which one to take. I take it the train is at the platform 2. As for the size, I was limited with the layout. It was a joint town diorama, and when I volunteered for the station it had to fit in. It's the number 4 on the layout and the length of the platforms was limited by the switches. Well, after a year I'd many things differently, but at the time I didn't have much time for planning.

kf12.jpg

It is always interesting to hear other's decisions on how they design their MOCs, thanks for sharing. I'm not sure I could have come up with such a good looking station even in twice the time. Are there any pictures of your station at the show? I could not find any, so far.

Great job building a station to your LUG requirements. You have an interesting round tiles and studs ballasting technique.

Grat station. I had the priviledge to see it in town layout at exhibitions. Station was well noticable among other buildings. Great job Readhead1982!

65.JPG

Edited by Subix

It is always interesting to hear other's decisions on how they design their MOCs, thanks for sharing. I'm not sure I could have come up with such a good looking station even in twice the time. Are there any pictures of your station at the show? I could not find any, so far.

The pictures of the station at the exhibition can be found here (KF12, Kranj-SVM, and KF13) bellow the exhibition reports.

Great job building a station to your LUG requirements. You have an interesting round tiles and studs ballasting technique.

This technique is called spilling the bricks all over. :grin: It's much easier than actually attaching them to the baseplates.

Thanks, Kristel.

Beautiful! Love the detailing on the facade, awnings over the platforms and the flower beds out the front.

Nice display piece Redhead. I like the detailing and the transparent shelters on the platforms.

It looks amazing. Personally I think if the platforms ran the full length of the trains, then it would be perfect.

That is a great mid-sized station with an awful lot of attention to detail (snotted cheese bricks that look like real bricks, the diagonal railings out front, many little architectural features, etc.). The ballast looks great and the alignment of the tracks make sense for a through station like this. It would be ideal if the platforms could be longer, but that is a problem that afflicts almost all lego stations. You never think just how long a real train platform is until you attempt to build one out of lego.

Impressive work. The front especially is well executed. I like the bicycle stands.

Hopefully in the future you an exe those platforms. That would be perfect

Great beautiful station, with its austere style that makes me think to a building from the 20's or 30's of the last century. Congratulations, both for the choice of the model that for its realization.

Thanks. :blush:

Great beautiful station, with its austere style that makes me think to a building from the 20's or 30's of the last century. Congratulations, both for the choice of the model that for its realization.

I'd like that too, but as it ism it's too big to have it on display in my flat, so I'm taking it apart one of these days. But it's great hearing the comments, as I'm already thinking about making a different station.

Impressive work. The front especially is well executed. I like the bicycle stands.

Hopefully in the future you an exe those platforms. That would be perfect

Thanks. Actually, those shelters are rather wobbly. But they do the trick. :grin:

Nice display piece Redhead. I like the detailing and the transparent shelters on the platforms.